All adventure packs are free for a limited time! Until April 23, use the code
DUNGEONCRAWL in the DDO Store to unlock a plethora of free quests!
More info: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl
Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Recent plague of spambots
Hey - Technical 13 suggested I bring this to your attention: User talk:Technical 13#Recent plague of spambots. Any chance we can shut the door on this? Don't know when it started, but it's only increasing recently. ⇒ C-Hound (Contribs • Message • Email) 16:35, February 3, 2020 (EST)
- Hi C-Hound. I'm doing what I can. Unfortunately, wikis are open and prone to spambots. Even large projects, like the Wikipedias, are struggling with spambots, and they have some better tools than we do here (but not good enough). Recently, I've been going through the logs (usually) daily to block the underlying IPs and any extra accounts I find. (I found 77 unblocked accounts on one range today.) I suggest enabling the spamBlock gadget in your preferences for less clicking. — Zav 20:54, February 3, 2020 (EST)
- In your efforts to clean up the spammers, there seems to be collateral damage to the Special:RecentChanges page that honest edits don't appear after redacting some things. Is there something we can do about that? ⇒ SysteRn (Contribs • Message • Email) 20:56, February 17, 2020 (EST)
Possible "recent changes" user creation spam
Hi! I've noticed in the last couple of days that the number of non-editing users being created has spiked suddenly. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think the point may be to render the "recent changes" page unreadable by making sure all the recorded edits are the creation of new users.
Could you have a look at where the users are being created from and check whether most of them have some sort of IP range in common? If so, blocking it might fix the issue. ⇒ PurpleSerpent (Contribs • Message • Email) 14:25, March 19, 2022 (EDT)
- I'm not going to check just for account creations. If they start spamming thats another matter. — Zav 14:59, April 30, 2022 (EDT)
- I don't doubt that those new users are spam bot creations waiting to be activated when some company pays for their activation. However, besides what Cru said, the "recent changes" cannot be rendered unreadable because you can filter out the namespace "User" from recent changes. If those creations are hindering your ability to read the recent changes, may I suggest doing that. ⇒ Faltout (Contribs • Message • Email) 14:52, May 1, 2022 (EDT)
- Fair enough. It's a moot point anyway; the new filtering tools from the recent MediaWiki update have made it really easy to get rid of log entries if you want to see actual page edits. ⇒ PurpleSerpent (Contribs • Message • Email) 13:33, May 2, 2022 (EDT)