Rest for the Restless
Lady Nepenthe's enemies have trapped her son in deathless suffering. Destroy his restless bones to end his torment.
|Rest for the Restless|
|Takes place in:||Vault of the Restless|
|Bestowed by:||Lady Nepenthe|
|NPC contact:||Lady Nepenthe|
|Quest acquired in:||Bogwater Tavern|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Lady Nepenthe's son was bound for Stormreach, but her mysterious enemies wrecked his airship and killed him. As further punishment, they raised him as a Skeleton Warrior to guard their treasures. Find the tortured remains of Nepenthe's son and send him to his rest. Lady Nepenthe is in Bogwater Tavern in the South West of House Phiarlan. Head back out into House Phiarlan for the quest entrance.
- Destroy the powerful Skeleton Warrior crafted from Nepenthe's son
- (Optional) Send 6 Skeleton Mages to their rest — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Puzzle (lever puzzle)
- Requires extra player(s)/hireling(s) (mandatory: turning a valve traps the player/hireling that used it but allows the rest of the party to advance, turning a second valve frees the trapped player/hireling)
- Spike traps in each of the puzzle rooms; in both cases, solving the puzzles to open the gates stops the spikes, rather than a control panel.
- There is a fire trap right before the library. The control panel is in the northern alcove just before the traps, on the eastern face.
- This fire trap can be timed. It consists of 4 jets, in two pairs, with a safe space between the pairs. With patience, the timing can be determined for the first pair, and then likewise for the second. Good luck.
Tips and Misc
Don't enter this quest without some sort of ranged option effective against skeletons. You will need to kill several on a nearby ledge unreachable by melee to advance the quest.
- For the north (reverse K rune) puzzle, turn the northern and western valves.
- For the west (ladder rune) puzzle, turn the northern and southern valves.
- Normally, a minimum of two players are needed for this quest. It's necessary to turn the valve that's just west of the first shrine (to open a gate further southwest), which will do 3 things: 1) spawn a pair of nearby ghasts, 2) drop gates trapping anyone in that area, and 3) open the next gate, further to the southwest. The gates can only be opened by turning the same valve (which then closes the next gate to the southwest), or by turning the valve just past that gate (see below). So, normally, the first valve is turned, the ghasts are defeated, and one player stays here while the rest of the party goes through the (now open) next gate and turns that valve to release them (see below).
- If you are doing this with a hireling or pet:
- Stand outside the room, where you can see the valve. Target the valve, then click your hireling's "Interact with..." button (the button with the gears). The hireling/pet will walk to the valve and turn it, closing themself within the gates and opening the next gate. Whenever you want, simply Summon the hireling to you, out of that area, and proceed. The ghasts (if not already destroyed) will remain behind the closed gates.
- It is possible for one player to complete this quest without any assistance:
- Use Dimension Door to return to the start after turning the first valve. (DD will last long enough to cast first, then turn the valve, and then use the DD, avoiding the ghasts.)
- If s/he does not mind incurring a 30% XP penalty (losing the 10% Persistence bonus, plus a -20% reentry penalty). Turn the valve, trap yourself - avoid/destroy the ghasts - and then simply hit the Recall button, and re-enter the dungeon before the instance resets. (This does not work on Reaper difficulty.)
- If you are doing this with a hireling or pet:
- The valve near a group of coffins will release a number of skeletons; melee types will appear on the ground and archers overhead. Defeating all of them will open the door to the next area, while turning the valve lifts the gates around the previous valve, freeing any trapped players and allowing them to join this fight.
- "Nepenthe", the name of the quest NPC, is the same as a genus of carnivorous plants. The possessive form of her name is the same as the genus for pitcher plants, Nepenthes ()
- Aggression bonus: 38 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 47 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 58 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: 1
- 1 in the passageway just before the first collectable; opening it triggers a gate dropping to trap you with a skeleton ambush.
- Collectables: Five
- Mushroom in an alcove just east of the ambush chest passageway
- Mushroom just south of the puzzle gates, in the northwest corner of the square
- Mushroom in an alcove by the door to the second set of shrines
- Bookshelf to the right as you enter the library
- Mushroom in an alcove to the north, just before the exit rope (you have to jump across the gap in the upper level of the library, to where one of the final two arcane skeletons is)
- NPC rewards: Standard
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Arcane Skeleton ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Elf Zombie ( view • )||QL:1; QL:2/3:||Undead||Zombie|
|Ghast ( view • )||Undead||Ghast|
|Nepenthe's Son ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Archer ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Swordsman ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Warrior ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton ( view • )||QL1:; QL2: ; QL3: ; QL?:||Undead||Skeleton|
|Wight ( view • )||QL2:; QL3:||Undead||Wight|