Name: Jasper Cruikshank
Bestows Quest(s): Archer Point Defense
If you try to talk to him while at level 2 or lower, he will reply:
- Jasper Cruikshank: Looking to sign up with Jasper's Raiders? Sorry to let you down, but we're a tight-knit group—invitation only, you see. That's not to say that I don't occasionally hire an extra hand or two for a tough battle, but I've got nothing for your sort at the moment.
If you are at level 3 or higher, however, he will reply:
- Jasper Cruikshank: Nope... not what we're looking for. Not the type. I'm sure you're tough enough in a tavern brawl or a street scuffle, but you're not ready for this fight. Next!
- You: What do you mean, 'next'?
- Jasper Cruikshank: Next applicant, of course. Next fortune-seeker. Next mercenary, if you want to put it that way. What part of 'next' don't you understand?
- You: So what are you hiring for? I might be interested.
- Jasper Cruikshank: Of course you might! Jasper's Raiders aren't the disreputable, unpredictable, unreliable, fight-by-night lot of scoundrels you might've been led to believe. My men are a quality outfit. Normally I don't think you'd make the cut, but....
- You: If you're not hiring, I've got other places to be, Jasper.
- Jasper Cruikshank: Spirit! Spark! You might be Raider material after all. And we happen to need some new blood in a hurry. See, Jasper's Raiders are in demand. I've recently signed a big protection contract with the Coin Lords. An important contract. Very secret. Very lucrative.
- You: And you want me to help with this contract?
- Jasper Cruikshank: No, that's a job for veterans. But the Raiders' fortress at Archer Point will be left empty. And traders depend on Jasper for protection. They show up at Archer Point, hobgoblins and bugbears hot on their heels, expecting the Raiders to keep them safe.
- You: And you want me to keep those traders safe while your men are away?
- Jasper Cruikshank: Right you are! A caravan will reach Archer Point this very afternoon, and my scouts say it's being chased by the hobgoblin scum. I need solid fighters who can meet the attack head-on and then clear out the woods around Archer Point. If you want the job, I'll arrange your passage to the fortress immediately. Ready to go?
- You: Sign on with Jasper's company (Bestow quest)
- You: Politely refuse and walk away. (Walk away)
Talking to him after acquiring the quest, but before completion, will make him say:
- Jasper Cruikshank: Archer Point is still stripped of defenders and threatened on all sides! Are you ready to go to the fight?
- You: Yes, let's get moving.
- You: I'm not quite prepared.
On completion of quest, he will congratulate you with the following:
- Jasper Cruikshank: Jasper greets you with a broad grin. I've just received a message from Carrack the Restless by carrier pigeon. I'll spare you the profanity and skip right to the point: 'It's blasted good luck for you that <name> showed up to do the Raiders' work for them!' My friend Carrack's words are fair, though he's not so fair-spoken. Thanks for helping us out.
- You: You're welcome, Jasper. Try not to spread your forces too thin, eh?
After completing the quest and take the reward, if you talk to him again, he will reply:
- Jasper Cruikshank: By saving old Carrack's bacon at Archer Point, you helped save the reputation of Jasper's Raiders. Aye, my clientes still know they can trust my protection, and that's worth more than gold to a mercenary crew. Maybe someday you'll be ready to join us full-time!