Tomb of the Tormented
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 3|
|Tomb of the Tormented|
|Takes place in:||Tomb of the Tormented|
|Bestowed by:||Kyriel Kallistae|
|NPC contact:||Kyriel Kallistae|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Kyriel Kallistae of the Silver Flame has asked that you venture into the Tomb of the Tormented and lay the mummy Akhom to rest. She didn't tell you any details about what you might find once you get there, other than to say they attempted to advance and were unable to make any progress.
- Awaken Akhom
- Defeat Akhom
- Guide a rat into the central chamber
- Guide a rat into the central chamber
- Guide a rat into the central chamber
- (Optional) Defeat the wight tormentors - +40% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, 1 undisarmable)
- Overlapping floors
- Mazes (3 with fixed layouts)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest item (optional: Key)
Whirling blade traps inside two of the rat mazes
Tips and Misc
- A good guide for the third maze is available in .
- Rogues can disable most of the traps inside the mazes
- The Famished Rats are not hostile to you so you cannot damage them. Ways to kill the Worgs and Carcass Eaters patrolling the mazes are:
- Area-of-Effect spell Sonic Blast (available from wand or scroll).
- Wand of Blasting and (Dampened / Epic) Cacophonic Verge.
- Fireball and the Sorcerer SLA Fireball, Acid Blast and the Sorcerer SLA Acid Blast work but you must target the Worgs/Carcass Eaters directly. Hirelings with these spells will not target monsters in the maze either.
- Exploding Fire Shot Rune Arms. The Artificer Spell and SLA Lightning Sphere works as well.
- The Favored Soul Angel of Vengeance Summon Archon.
- Carcass Eaters will eat your Hunks of Rotten Flesh and take a small amount of damage, eventually killing them. Worgs will not touch the meat.
- As of Update 21, Summons that can Teleport and Blade Barrier no longer work.
- Chain Missiles if cast upon a target nearby to the mob.
- Fire Seeds trap can kill enemies if you target them before cast.
- Monks can permanently kill the rotten meat zombies with a Void Strike Vorpal attack.
- Thanks in large part to .
Some say that the "Tormented" are not the zombies in the tomb, but you. Grab your +11 Hat of Patience, and let's get started.
Entering this tomb, you find yourself standing on a grate that looks down into a maze. There are small holes interspersed throughout the maze, and a bunch of zombies and Wights on your level.
The first thing you need to do is to clear the upper area; destroy all of the sarcophagi and the Wights which spawn when you break them. If you don't destroy the sarcophagi manually, they may break on their own, releasing a Wight.
As you kill the zombies, pieces of rotten meat will drop to the ground. You can 'use' the holes in the floor which places the meat underneath it inside the maze leading one of the Famished Rats through to the exit of the maze. The defeated zombies will pop back up after a minute, so you have a ready supply of meat once you kill them again.(It appears to be possible to kill zombies from the first puzzle room by taking them to the passage between puzzle 1 and 2. Zombies have also died permanently when killed in the center chamber. Further testing required to confirm if possible with other zombies) This procedure is repeated through two more mazes, each one getting consecutively more complex.
- You can only move one rat at a time; the others do not move.
- If your rat dies, it will respawn back in its "home", so don't worry about rat death.
- There are Carcass Eaters and Worgs in the mazes -- they will kill your rat, but your rat will fight back.
- Two or three rats in a row will usually kill off a single bad guy, although not so well on Elite.
- Your rat is Undead. However, Negative Energy Burst and Death Aura do not penetrate the floor, so cannot be used to heal your rat. Sustaining Song will damage your rat. Bug: Singing the sustaining song when the rat is about to complete the maze, is a guaranteed way to kill your rat after it has exited the maze but before waking up Akhom rendering the quest unable to be completed.
- An Artificer's rune arm blast from Animus, Hand of the Tombs or Khyber's Fury will penetrate the floor.
- The Arcane spell Sonic Blast, either being cast or from a wand/scroll, will damage the Worgs and Carcass Eaters. Splash damage from spells like Fireball will also work.
- The Druid's spell Body of the Sun can also penetrate the floor and kill the Worgs and Carcass Eaters.
- The Druid's spell Call Lightning Storm will also hit critters under the floor.
- The Druid's spell Creeping Doom will also hit critters under the floor.
- The Druid's or Ranger's ability Improved Wild Empathy can also charm the Worgs and Carcass Eaters for some time, so they won't attack your rats. Wild Empathy also works, but, while the affected mobs will not attack your rats, your rats will still attack the mobs.
- The Druid's spell Fire Seeds will not have any affect on the Worgs and Carcass Eaters; however, the Druid's spell Fire Seeds Trap will damage them if the seeds fall through the grating into the maze.
- The Worgs will not touch the meat.
- The Carcass Eaters will eat your meat, but in doing so they take a small amount of damage. With enough meat, they can be killed this way.
- It may not be in your best interest to kill them. While only the Starving Rats will complete the maze for you and wake the mummy, the Carcass Eaters can be lured with the meat onto pressure plates to activate them or if you choose, to their death in the blade traps. The Carcass Eaters cannot be lured by meat once they are aggroed by anything on the top floor -- whether by damage methods outlined above, or by aura effects such as the Exalted Angel aura. (Sometimes the Carcass Eaters will not go after the meat even without aggro. One theory is that their AI bugs when meat is placed in front of them and they are just about to turn. It may be safer to put meat in the path in front of them before turning/stopping points.)
- Each time your rat eats a piece of meat, he gets a tiny bit of health back.
- In the last two mazes, there are pressure plates with a rose design on them. When your rat steps on them, it will change the position of the swinging doors. If the rat steps on them again, it will switch the doors back.
- It is possible to block bad guys behind different walls, but it may be easier to just kill them with rats. They do not walk into the areas with spikes.
- In the last maze there are blade traps; you need to move your rat through carefully, timing the traps for when they turn off, or when they move down the hall. You can disarm the stationary blades -- there are boxes at different points in the room where you can reach them.
- A strategy that makes the third maze easier: drag all the zombies away out of the line of sight of the third maze -- back to an alcove near the second maze works well. Kill them all there and park your party members -- the ones who will do the killing -- with the zombies. The person who is going to solve the maze can now do so in peace, without being attacked by zombies, as long as he has enough rotting flesh to poke into the rat maze.
- Once all three mazes are complete, the rats will wake up the mummy. After you defeat the mummy, you can go into the maze if you wish. Most often, the second maze contains a silver key, but it can also appear in the other mazes. This key opens the chest in the third maze located at the rat respawn point. The chest cannot be picked.
- To ensure you get the full 25% conquest bonus, you may need to kite the mummy for a brief period while killing one or two wights created by destroying the sarcophagi in the final room.
- Once you've completed this quest, the words "rat maze" will probably strike fear into your heart.
- The (Optional) Defeat the Wight tormentors can only be completed near the end or post completion, as a few Wights hide in coffins in the final boss area.
- Aggression bonus: 62 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 77 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 98 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 46 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: End mummy chest and optional locked chest (need silver key) inside one of the rat mazes
- NPC rewards: Random item
|Carcass Eater (view)||Animal||Rat|
|Famished Rat (view)||Animal||Rat|
|Tormented Bones (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Tormented Soul (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Tormentor Worg (NoPic)||Animal||Wolf|
|Wight Inflictor (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Wight Spirit Twister (view)||Undead||Wight|