|Items | Crafting | Collectables | Quests | Challenges | Maps | Monsters | Places | Favor |
Races | Classes | Enhancements | Epic Destinies | Feats | Skills | Spells | Glossary
We are testing a new skin! Let us know what you think.
|Please log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!or|
Tomb of the Tormented
|Requires access to adventure pack: Necropolis Part 3|
|Tomb of the Tormented|
|Heroic XP:||♣4,164 ♦7,300 ♥7,660 ♠8,020|
|Takes place in:||Tomb of the Tormented|
|NPC contact:||Kyriel Kallistae|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Kyriel Kallistae of the Silver Flame has asked that you venture into the Tomb of the Tormented and lay the mummy Akhom to rest. She didn't tell you any details about what you might find once you get there, other than to say they attempted to advance and were unable to make any progress.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Awaken Akhom
- Defeat Akhom
- Guide a rat into the central chamber
- Guide a rat into the central chamber
- Guide a rat into the central chamber
- (Optional) Defeat the wight tormentors - (40% base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, 1 undisarmable)
- Overlapping floors
- Mazes (3 with fixed layouts)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest item (optional: Key)
Whirling blade traps inside two of the rat mazes
Tips and Misc
- A maze path guide is available in the Compendium
- A good guide for the third maze is availible in this forum post 
- Rogues can disable most of the traps inside the mazes
- Death Aura can kill the worgs and carcass eaters patrolling the mazes, but will not kill the rats as they are undead.
- A Favored Soul's 'Summon Archon' is able to damage enemies through the floor. (Doesn't deal damage to the Famished Rats)
- Fireball-style Rune Arms can shoot through the floor, as can the Wand of Blasting and (Dampened / Epic) Cacophonic Verge.
- Sonic Blast will also kill the worgs and carcass eaters patrolling the mazes.
- Summons that can teleport can kill the monsters under the floor.
- Carcass Eaters will eat your meat and take a small amount of damage, eventually killing them. Worgs will not touch the meat.
- Monks can permanently kill the rotten meat zombies with a Void Strike IV Vorpal attack.
Walkthrough (thanks in large part to this forum post)
Some say that the "Tormented" are not the zombies in the tomb, but you. Grab your +11 Hat of Patience, and let's get started.
Entering this tomb, you find yourself standing on a grate that looks down into a maze. There are small holes interspersed throughout the maze, and a bunch of zombies and wights on your level.
First thing to do is to clean out up top. Destroy all of the sarcophagi and the wights within them. If you don't destroy the sarcophagi manually, they may break on their own, releasing a wight.
As you kill the zombies, pieces of rotten meat will drop to the ground. Stuff the meat through the holes in the floor to lead one of the Famished Rats through to the exit of the maze. The defeated zombies will pop back up after a minute, so you have a ready supply of meat. This procedure is repeated through two more mazes, each one getting consecutively more complex.
A few things you should know:
- You can only move one rat at a time; the others do not move. If your rat dies, it will respawn back in its "home", so don't worry about rat death. There are carcass eaters and worgs in the mazes, and they will kill your rat, but your rat will fight back. Two or three rats in a row will usually kill off a single bad guy, although not so well on Elite.
- Your rat is undead. Thus it can be healed by death aura. Sustaining Song will however damage YOUR rat. Singing the sustaining song when the rat is about to complete the maze, is a guaranteed way to kill your rat after it has exited the maze BUT before waking up Akhom. This will bug the quest.
- Death Aura penetrates the floor and can be used to similar effect on an arcane caster. (As for Update 16, Death Aura no longer appears to penetrate the floor.)
- An Artificer's rune arm blast from Animus, Hand of the Tombs or Khyber's Fury will penetrate the floor.
- The Druid's spell Body of the Sun can also penetrate the floor and kill the Worgs and Carcass Eaters.
- The Druid's ability Improved Wild Empathy can also charm the Worgs and Carcass Eaters for some time, so they won't attack your rats (I have not tested this for the Wild Empathy ability or for the Ranger, but I suppose it will also work).
- The Druid's spell Fire Seeds will not have any affect on the Worgs and Carcass Eaters; however, the Druid's spell Fire Seeds Trap will damage them if the seeds fall through the grating into the maze.
- The Worgs will not touch the meat.
- The Carcass Eaters will eat your meat, but in doing so they take a small amount of damage. With enough meat, they can be killed this way.
- It may not be in your best interest to kill them. While only the Starving Rats will complete the maze for you and wake the mummy, the Carcass Eaters can be lured with the meat onto pressure plates to activate them or if you chose, to their death in the blade traps. (This may be bugged as sometimes the Carcass Eaters will not go after the meat.)
- Each time your rat eats a piece of meat, he gets a tiny bit of health back.
- In the second two mazes, there are pressure plates with a rose design on them. When your rat steps on them, it will change the position of the swinging doors. If the rat steps on them again, it will switch the doors back.
- It is possible to block bad guys behind different walls, but it may be easier to just kill them with rats. They do not walk into the areas with spikes.
- In the last maze there are blade traps; you need to move your rat through carefully, timing the traps for when they turn off, or when they move down the hall. You can disarm the stationary blades - there are boxes at different points in the room where you can reach them.
- A strategy that makes the third maze easier: drag all the zombies away out of the line of sight of the third maze - back to an alcove near the second maze works well. Kill them all there and park your party members -- the ones who will do the killing -- with the zombies. The person who is going to solve the maze can now do so in peace, without being attacked by zombies, as long as he has enough rotting flesh to poke into the rat maze.
- Once all three mazes are complete, the rats will wake up the mummy. After you defeat the mummy, you can go into the maze if you wish. Most often, the second maze contains a silver key, but it can also appear in the other mazes. This key opens the chest in the third maze located at the rat respawn point. The chest cannot be picked.
- To ensure you get the full 25% conquest bonus, you may need to kite the mummy for a brief period while killing one or two wights created by destroying the sarcophagi in the final room.
- Once you've completed this quest, the words "rat maze" will probably strike fear into your heart.
- The (Optional) Defeat the wight tormentors can only be completed near the end or post completion, as a few wights hide in coffins in the final boss area.
- Aggression bonus: 62 monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 77 monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: >98 monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 46 breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: End mummy chest and optional locked chest (need silver key) inside one of the rat mazes
- NPC rewards: Random item
- Famished Rats
- Tormented Bones' - Skeletons
- Tormented Souls - Zombies
- Wight Inflictors
- Wight Spirit Twisters