Return to Madstone Crater
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Please help improve this page.
You can help by editing this page. For suggestions, please see the talk page, or embedded <!-- comments --> while .
|Requires access to : Ruins of Gianthold|
The power of the Madstone Crater has driven the Storm's Heart brigade insane. Will you be able to survive its power?
|Return to Madstone Crater|
|Heroic XP:||Madstone Crater|
|Takes place in:||Madstone Crater|
|Bestowed by:||Hworrl ar'Bryssan|
|NPC contact:||Hworrl ar'Bryssan|
|Quest acquired in:||Gianthold|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Free to Play:||No|
This is one of four quests you must do order to flag for The Fall of Truth Raid.
- Speak to Blaze, Captain of the Storm's Heart Brigade
- Rescue the first seer
- Rescue the second seer
- Rescue the third seer
- Defeat the first Seer's Giant Skeleton Guards
- Meet the seer at the first crystal and start the shattering
- Defend the seer until first crystal is shattered
- Defeat the second Seer's Giant Skeleton Guards
- Meet the seer at the second crystal and start the shattering
- Defend the seer until second crystal is shattered
- Defeat the third Seer's Giant Skeleton Guards
- Meet the seer at the third crystal and start the shattering
- Defend the seer until third crystal is shattered
- Speak to Blaze to open the central pathway
- Defeat the Master of the Madstone
- Return to Blaze and tell him of your victory
- (Optional) Clear the entrance field: +25% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat fifty infected Storm's Heart: +25% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 6 Ancient Enchanters: +25% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Chaos orb
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
Bug: Giant seers can fail to turn friendly if you have Aura of menace warlock ability active.
Stepping in will bring you to the first killing field. You have two options here. First is to clear out the front yard here, or second is to quickly pull a U turn to the right, and deal with this place later. It is usually wiser to clear this out first, until you know the dungeon well.
It is a tough fight, wave after wave of bad guys. Creatures that are made insane by the Madstone, such as the minotaurs, are immune to mind affecting spells. Solid fog and web to slow them down. Or just good old hack 'n' slash. The ogre magi will cast cone of cold and chain lightning, as well as symbol of pain.
Once the entrance is clear, you can move into the cave ahead. This cave has a shrine and an optional hall with a treasure chest. The hall is locked, but it can be picked (Lock DC), or the key is out in the lava shallows through the next cave exit. There are skeletons down the hall. If you get aggro, the enchanters can cast madstone rage on you, which will prevent you from casting spells.
Head back out to the beginning entrance. Use the other cave there to start on the way up. In the cave, free the giant shaman. He will attack you, but kill the enchanter controlling him to free him. He will move out to help you destroy a crystal that is amplifying the madstone's power. Head through the cave to the open area to catch up to him. Follow the ramp up and note that it splits into an up ramp and down ramp (this leads to the next area after the first crystal is destroyed). Keep heading up for now. Once you catch up to him, talk to him to start the madstone crystal breaking dance. You must protect him while he dances, or you will have to start over. Casting Invisibility on him helps a lot. A wave of minotaurs will come out of the gate behind you and attack him. You can heal him. Every mino you kill will spawn another. An option is to have the caster turn them to stone (be aware, Minotaurs have relatively high Fort saves) and leave them as statues as long as possible. This prevents respawn.
Once the crystal is broken, head back down the ramp to the split point and take the lower ramp to the cave to the next area (beware the crevasse if you go too far or you are running). Clear out the cave, save the second giant, grab the chest in the enchanter's room. Catch up to the giant at the second crystal. Before talking to him, give him cold and electric resists. Now get the dance going. Watch out for the ogre magi on the top ledge, protect the giant from the things coming up the four ramps. (A cloudkill at the bottom of each ramp, before you start the process, bottles up bad guys down below.)
Once this crystal is shattered, move in to the next cave. Work your way through and free the third seer. Catch up to him at the top of the next open area. Again give him resists, add displacement and blur if you have them. Position your melees at the side ramp but not where they can get knocked off, keep a caster with charms or cloudkill up top, as well as a healer for the giant. Start the dance.
Charm as many on the top shelf as you can, to have them fight one another. Use solid fog and cloud kill in the ramp-way, to assist the melees. Once the third crystal is shattered, jump down to the lava river to the south. The gate to the very first cave with the optional undead chest is there. Head up to the beginning and speak to Blaze.
Blaze tells you the gate to the madstone is now open, now you just have to fight your way up to it. Clear the path of the final infected soldiers, and get ready to run up the spire. Cast Death Ward and any other spells you like for fighting in Xoriat balls, because you are going to get hit by this one. Sprint to the top and fight the Madstone Wizard, a huge skeletal enchanter. Many times he will have a spell immunity on that will protect him from most level IV and lower spells, so watch his inspection screen and see what defenses he has.
When you defeat him, grab your loot. There is a chance at unique loot, and 1d4 Restored Giant Relics. Head back to Blaze to complete the quest.
- The Seers can be protected by brute force, but it can be difficult. The seers are healable and unkillable and that makes the encounters much easier.
- Chests: 3
- 1 in the second Seer room
- 1 behind a locked door in the cave to the left of the entrance (the door can also be opened by key, the key is found in shallow lava near the third crystal)
- 1 at the end for killing the Ancient Warlock (Giant Skeleton)
- NPC rewards: Blaze rewards you with a randomly generated item.
Named Chest Drop
Ancient Band - Ring
Axe of Adaxus - Battle Axe
- ML23: 2.50[1d10] 20x4, , with "Topaz of ",
- ML24: 2.50[1d10] 20x4, , with "Topaz of ",
- ML25: 3[1d10] 20x4, , with "Topaz of ",
Crystalline Scepter - Club
Girdle of Giants' Brawn - Belt
- ML23: , , with "Diamond of "
- ML24: , , with "Diamond of "
- ML25: , with "Diamond of ", with "Diamond of "
Iron Beads - Necklace
Steady Handed Armbands - Bracers
|Warlock of Madstone (NoPic)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Madstone Enchanter (NoPic)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Blackheart Fiend-Blood (view)||Giant||Troll|
|Blackheart Warmonger (view)||Giant||Troll|
|Giant Skeleton Barbarian (NoPic)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Giant Skeleton Warrior (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Infected Minotaur (NoPic)||Monstrous Humanoid||Minotaur|
|Runetusk Ranger (NoPic)||Giant||Ogre|
|Storm Heart Seer (view)||Giant||Giant|