Arcane spell failure
 Arcane Spell Failure
Arcane Spell Failure (ASF) is the chance that an arcane spell — that is, one from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list or Bard spell list — will fail to be cast due to interference from the caster's armor or shield.
The ASF penalty from armor and shields is cumulative - they are added together.
 Scrolls and Arcane Spell Failure
Any scroll of a spell on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list will be susceptible to "Arcane" Spell Failure even if the reader should not be subject to it - ie the reader is an Artificer, Bard wearing light armor, divine caster, etc. Thus, for example, Clerics cannot reliably use Protection from Energy scrolls in their heavy armor. This behavior may be modified in the future, as developers have acknowledged it should not work this way.
Similar to divine spells, Artificer-exclusive spells are not subject to Arcane Spell Failure, but Artificers using Sorcerer/Wizard list scrolls are subject to Arcane Spell Failure. So, for example, anyone using a Lightning Motes scroll will suffer no Arcane Spell Failure, but an Artificer is susceptible to Arcane Spell Failure when using a scroll of Reconstruct (available to Artificer but from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list).
Similarly, Bards wearing light armor using scrolls on the Sorcerer/Wizard's list will be susceptible to Arcane Spell Failure even for spells also on the Bard spell list. A Bard wearing light armor has no chance of Arcane Spell Failure when casting Greater Heroism as a spell, but is susceptible to failure when casting it from a scroll.
 Reducing Arcane Spell Failure
 Item Enhancements
Item enhancements do not stack unless otherwise noted. Only the highest reduction will apply.
- The Lesser Arcane Casting Dexterity/Arcane Casting Dexterity prefix reduces ASF by 5%/10%. Arcane Casting Dexterity reduces total ASF, and as such can be on any item rather than needing to be on the armor or shield that's causing ASF.
- A Sapphire of Spell Agility +5/+10/+15 in a Blue Augment Slot reduces ASF by 5%/10%/15%. This reduces total ASF, and as such can be on any item rather than needing to be on the armor or shield that's causing ASF.
- The Lesser Arcane Sigil and Arcane Sigil prefixes are normally docent-exclusive enhancements, but can be added to Dragontouched Armor via the appropriate runes. They reduce ASF by 5% and 10% respectively. Prior to U17 LAS/AS were untyped and stacked with normal item enhancement effects and with each other. After U17, LAS/AS were apparently changed to global enhancement bonuses and no longer stack with other item enhancements or with each other. 
- The Twilight armor prefix reduces ASF by 10%, and Greater Twilight reduces ASF by 20%. Twilight affects the armor or shield it is on only, however. It is applied before item effects granting global reduction of arcane spell failure and stacks with them.
 Armor/Shield Materials
- Mithral is exceptionally light, reducing the Arcane Spell Failure chance of an armor or shield made with it by 10%. For very light types of armor or shields, this can completely negate ASF by itself.
- Darkleaf reduces the ASF of the armor or shield made with it by 5%, but this material is generally found on rather heavy armors (Breastplate and Banded) and will not negate ASF alone.
- Alchemical Crystal reduces the ASF of an Alchemical Shield by 10% when applied to it through reforging.
- The Arcane Fluidity enhancement is available to Elves, Half-Elves, Drow, and Morninglords (iconic) as a Tier 1 racial enhancement. Rank 1/2/3 reduce ASF from armor (but not shields) by a total of 5%/10%/15% at a cost of 1 AP per rank.
- The Wizard/Sorcerer Eldritch Knight Spellsword core enhancement 2 and 4 each reduce ASF from armor and shields by 5%, for a total of 10% with both.
- The Eldritch Knight tier 4 enhancement Medium Armor Proficiency reduces ASF from armor by 5% and grants medium armor proficiency at a cost of 2 AP.
- The Eldritch Knight tier 5 enhancement Still Spell reduces ASF from armor and shields by a total of 5%/10%/15% at a cost of 1 AP per rank.
- The default Composite Plating imposes 5% ASF, while the optional Mithral Body imposes 15% and Adamantine Body imposes 35%.
Fortunately, there are also warforged-exclusive ways to mitigate ASF:
- Composite and Mithral body plating are considered light armor and thus don't impact warforged Bards.
- The Inscribed Armor enhancement is available to Warforged and Bladeforged as a tier 1 racial enhancement, reducing ASF from body plating by 5%/10%/15% for a cost of 1 AP per rank.
- Lesser Arcane Sigil and Arcane Sigil are docent-exclusive enhancements, reducing ASF by 5% and 10% respectively. Prior to U17 LAS/AS were untyped and stacked with normal item enhancement effects and with each other. After U17, LAS/AS were apparently changed to global enhancement bonuses and no longer stack with other item enhancements or with each other. 
- As noted above, bards are not subject to ASF while wearing Light armor.
- The Warchanter tier 5 enhancement Armorer extends this benefit to Medium armor as well.
 Default ASF Penalties
|Table: Arcane Spell Failure — Armor|
|Armor Name||Failure %||Armor Type|
|Composite Plating (Warforged only)||5%||Light|
|Mithral Body (Warforged only)||15%||Light|
|Studded Leather Armor||15%||Light|
|Adamantine Body (Warforged only)||35%||Heavy|
|Table: Arcane Spell Failure — Shields|
|Shield Name||Failure %|