The Spinner of Shadows
Deep within Khyber, near Tarath Marad, lies the prison of the Demon Overlord known as the Spinner of Shadows. For ages she has waited for just one moment of freedom so that she may once again spin her web of treachery.
|The Spinner of Shadows|
|Heroic XP:||♣3,544 ♦6,150 ♥6,392 ♠6,634|
|Epic XP:||♣12,171 ♦20,976 ♥21,665 ♠22,355|
|Takes place in:||The Spinner's Prison|
|Quest acquired in:||The Harbor|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Rakshasas and Drow who worship the Demon Overlord known as the Spinner of Shadows have managed to break into the prison where the Spinner of Shadows has been trapped for countless ages.
Go to the Spinner's Prison and prevent the Spinner of Shadows from returning to Eberron. If this Overlord is let loose upon the world, the consequences will be catastrophic.
This is the third and final quest of the Web of Chaos story arc. To flag for this quest, you must complete the first two quests in the story arc, in the correct order - The Lords of Dust followed by Servants of the Overlord. You may not enter the quest to join your party members if you are not flagged either, regardless of their flagging status. You must complete this quest and its follow up Beyond the Rift, to travel to Eveningstar in the Forgotten Realms.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Find the Spinner of Shadows inside her prison.
- Restore the Spinner's eternal prison
- Relight the wards with recaptured Ward Crystals (Light 9 wards total)
- (Optional) Save The Silver Flame (~ 15% of base XP)
Tips and Misc
- Although the entrance to this quest is at the end of Servants of the Overlord, you don't have to continue directly from there; you can exit to sell, repair and buff, and then return to the Harbor entrance.
- Four ward shards are needed to ignite one of the warding pillars. There are 9 pillars, so you will need 36 shards total.
- The Silver Flame
- The Silver Flame will heal you every few seconds with a cure moderate wounds, mass.
- The Silver Flame will also remove Demonic and other supernatural poisons caused by spiders every few seconds. There is no other way to rid yourself of it, and it will kill you if left untreated for long, so stay close to it while you engage the Spinner or if you are bitten.
- The Silver Flame will regularly provide a stack 12 Sphere of Silver Flame Essences (thrown projectiles) to use against the Spinner of Shadows. Those projectiles disappear on death and you have to wait several minutes till the next stack is provided. One essence will create 2 stacks of Silver Flame debuff.
- The Silver Flame will cause the Spinner's shield to drop after 1 stacks of its aura, allowing you to harm her as long as the aura is at 1 or more stacks. If you reach 4 or more stacks, her damage mitigation aura will drop completely. Note her aura is not damage reduction, but rather a percentile mitigation that applies to ALL damage. 5+ stacks will render her more vulnerable to certain damage types. Known types: Cold, Force, Sonic, Acid.
- At some point in the fight red Flame Eaters will attempt to kill the Flame. (Seems to be after enough shards to light 4 warding pillars are dropped by blue Flame Eaters - needs confirmation - regardless of whether or not the shards are picked up.)
- Any demonic or evil summoned monsters that players have up, such as Bezekira or Orthon, will continue to take damage from the Silver Flame's Holy Fire as long as they are near it, suffering 10d10 electric damage per two seconds. The debuff stacks.
- The Spinner of Shadows
- The Spinner cannot be harmed while her shield is up. It can be lowered by positioning her near the silver flame, even a single stack of its debuff will lower the shield, partially. It starts at 100% damage mitigation, and drops to 75%/50%/25/0% for 1/2/3/4+ stacks respectively.
- Harming the Spinner enough will eventually cause more blue Flame Eaters to appear.
- From the second wave on, the Spinner will cause either Khyber Reavers or Hezrous (depending on quest difficulty) to spawn to attack you.
- Similar to Xyzzy, the Spinner is immune to weapon procs initially. She loses this immunity once the silver flame debuff is applied, even a single application does this.
- You may also apply the silver flame debuff yourself, by asking the silver frame to grant you his essence. It functions as throwing weapon. It applies the effect even if you only score a grazing hit, so your to hit bonus is irrelevant as long as your aim is accurate.
- The silver flame debuff also damages the spinner, it deals 10d10 damage every 2 seconds, light damage. Higher stacks may or may not increased the damage, untested.
- Blue/Red Flame Eaters
- The blue Flame Eaters can be killed to drop a Ward Crystal.
- The red Flame Eaters are spawned in a single wave by the Spinner, to attempt to destroy the Silver Flame.
- More blue Flame Eaters can be spawned by hurting the Spinner. You do not have to kill the previous spawns before spawning more.
- After the initial defeat, she will retreat and summon more reinforcements in waves, including the additional eaters. You can do this twice at specific points of the encounter. Further defeats after the first two will only result in her "hatching" two blue flame eaters and healing to full again instantly, she will also be more resistant to the silver flame debuff at this point, causing it to take longer between stacks.
- Blue Flame Eaters seem to spawn in equal numbers on the lava and maze side. Tip: You can clear and farm only one side and avoid the other side to limit the number of reavers/hezrous you need to face.
- As the battle progresses, the monster respawn rate becomes more and more aggressive.
- On Normal/Hard: Khyber Reavers spawn more frequently and eventually in larger numbers.
- On Elite/Epic: Khyber Hezrou spawn more frequently and eventually in larger numbers.
- Protection from Fire and Death Ward are highly recommended here.
Difficulty is assumed elite. At lower difficulties, you get more blue flame eaters, different monsters, less spawns.
The battle is divided in 5 phases controlled by the spinner's health. At elite difficulty you will get additional Hezrou spawns when red spiders appear and till the end of the quest. The rumor about those not appearing if you don't light the wards is false. They won't appear on Hard and Normal though. This guide assumes you have additional spawns and provides a way to deal with them.
- Phase 1 (the spinner is at full health and blue spiders are in both sides)
- One speaks to the flame to get its essence. Probably the tank, but it can be anyone with the ability to survive 2 hits by the spinner. This person will be referred to as "tank". When the spinner appears, the tank should throw an essence at her, getting aggro on him and getting the spinner to the center. This will create 2 stacks of silver flame debuff.
- No one except the tank should hit the spinner in any way. The tank needs to be able to drag the spinner to the center only by throwing that essence.
- When the spinner is at the center, she should stay there for the timer not to run out. The tank can stay still or run around. Each time the silver flame debuff hits the spinner, she will be afraid for a little bit. This allows the tank to break her attacks. When the spinner is about to attack the tank, throw an essence at her. Caution: The silver flame aura needs to create 4 stacks or more for the spinner to stay at the center. So basically, throw 2 stacks (1 essence) at her to get aggro (since it's the only thing that can hurt her). Let her launch 2 attacks at you and then throw another essence to get her afraid for a bit (giving you time to heal up). Then block to avoid poison damage or run around center (with spinner never leaving the silver flame aura) till she gets to 8 stacks.
- When the spinner has 8 stacks (last stack generated from the aura), she will be afraid for a long time. Actually, the time is equal to the duration between aura debuffs. So when you get spinner up to 8 stacks you have pinned her to the center. It is time for the group to start killing stuff now.
- The whole group can go together (EE Jariliths hit harder than the spinner, so it's advised for the whole group to face them together), or can split. No one needs to stay with the spinner, since she will be afraid. When everything is killed at both sides, you can return to the spinner and start hitting her.
- Phase 2 (spinner is at 45% health. 2 blue spiders under her, more blue spiders and spawns at both sides)
- As soon as you reach this phase, you should stop hurting the spinner. Again, the whole party can go hunt for crystals leaving the spinner at the center afraid.
- When everything is killed, start hitting spinner again.
- Phase 3 (spinner has left the battle, soon to return. Spawns at both sides, no blue spiders)
- At this point the spinner will call for demons to help her. Hezrous will spawn at both sides. Draw them out and start killing them.
- Before you kill them all, the spinner will return. The tank should repeat the process at phase 1 to pin the spinner down to center.
- When all Hezrous are down, start hitting the spinner.
- Phase 4 (spinner at 45% health. 2 blue spiders under her, more blue spiders at both sides along with spawns)
- Again, as soon as you reach that phase, stop hurting her. The group should go hunt the spiders.
- When everything is killed, start on the spinner.
- Phase 5 (spinner left and called red flame eaters along with extra Hezrou spawns to attack the guardian)
- Group stays at center, but not close to the guardian. Avoid fighting Hezrous near the guardian, as they can hurt it.
- When the red spider assault is over, the Hezrous (if any) will respawn if killed.
- The tank now needs to take the spinner aggro, along with any Hezrous and run around center. This time, there's no time to wait for silver flame debuffs to sum up on the spinner (although you can keep her away from you if you throw 4 essences at her = 8 stacks of debuff but when time runs out on the stacks you need to do it again)
- The Hezrous will respawn immediately if killed and will cause much more damage if they attack you on melee. Whoever has Hezrou aggro, keep running around. Killing the Hezrous will cause them to respawn and aggro whoever they see first. This is really bad for the group that has jobs to do (and especially that poor cleric that is healing the kiter).
- The rest of the party should now hunt spiders at both sides. If all the Hezrous are at center, there will be no spawns at all except the spiders that will respawn frequently.
- If there are no Hezrous threatening you, you can again pin spinner to center and take all the time in the world to kill spiders till you have 36 crystals.
- Aggression bonus: 40 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 48 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 56 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: Two total:
- 1 bonus chest at the end for the optional: (Save the Silver Flame)
- 1 end chest at quest completion
- Epic difficulty: The Epic Chest replaces the end chest. It contains a single dungeon token and a small chance at shards.
- NPC rewards: Standard, Choose from 7, Up to ML:14
Named Chest Drop
- Doublecross Bow - Repeating Light Crossbow - +4, Poison Burst, Crippling, Armor-Piercing - 10%, Nightshade Venom (End Chest (to the right of The Silver Flame))
- Luminous Truth - Quarterstaff - + 4, (Enhanced threat: 19-20/x2), Spellcasting Implement +12, Combustion +72, Radiance +72, Fire Lore V, Radiance Lore V, Flaming Burst, Incandescence (End chest)
- Templar's Bastion - Medium Armor - +4, Mithral, DR 5/Evil, Spell Resistance (25), Light Guard (End chest)
- Templar's Docent - Docent - +4, DR 5/Evil, Spell Resistance (25), Light Guard (End chest)
- Templar's Justice - Dwarven Axe - +4, Cold Iron, Holy Burst, Incandescence, Godly Wrath (End chest)
- Templar's Retribution - Bastard Sword - +4, Cold Iron, Holy Burst, Incandescence, Godly Wrath (End chest)
- Bloated Flame Eaters
- Drow Priestesses - just a few near the start
- Drow Warriors - just a few near the start
- Flame Eaters - both blue and red
- Jarilith Guard - only appears on Elite+
- Khyber Hezrou - only appears on Hard+ - appear in greater numbers on epic
- Khyber Reavers - only appear on Normal
- Rakshasa Lords - just one near the start