|Requires access to adventure pack: Vault of Night|
Once a feared sorceress, Mistress Orphne is now a mere shadow of her former self...a prisoner of her own mind
|Heroic XP:||♣1,788 ♦3,160 ♥3,340 ♠3,520|
|Epic XP:||♣9,097 ♦15,674 ♥16,188 ♠16,701|
|Takes place in:||Prison of the Mind|
|Bestowed by:||Shen Kulle|
|NPC contact:||Shen Kulle|
|Quest acquired in:||House Kundarak|
|Free to Play:||No|
This quest is now referred to as "The Prisoner" in Adventure Compendium, however it used to be called "The Prison of the Mind".
Part two of the Vault of Night (story arc) (often referred to as VoN2). Marek is sending you to help Mistress Orphne, who has been poisoned and is being held a prisoner within her own mind. She is slowly wasting away and needs your help in being freed.
The entrance to this quest can be found by looking for Mistress Orphne's haven within House Kundarak. Inside you will find her protector Shen Kulle. Speak with him to get hold of a potion that will allow you to enter Mistress Orphne's dreams and attempt to rescue her.
This quest has a novel map (being a nightmare dream), so it can be difficult to find your way around. You have to recover four of Mistress Orphne's missing possessions to help her recover her faculties.
Special Note: The actual entrance to this quest is talking to Mistress Orphne which lets you choose the difficulty (Heroic/Epic Casual/Normal/Hard/Elite). The 1st entrance from House Kundarak leads to the small room where Mistress Orphne is and only has one difficulty selection, Heroic Normal.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Locate Mistess Orphne's lost possessions
- -Silver Mirror
- -Golden Locket
- -Wooden Dagger
- -Memnos Blossom
- Return to Orphne with her possessions
- Return the Golden Locket
- Return the Wooden Dagger
- Return the Memnos Blossom
- Return the Silver Mirror
- Defeat Orphne's Shadow
- (Optional) Speak to the fire giant
- (Optional) Rid Ingstoldt's home of pests - Kill 8 (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat the guardian gargoyles - Kill 2 (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Kill Ingstouldt the fire giant (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Exterminate the Arcane Oozes - Kill 6 (10% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (random, some undisarmable)
- Maze (fixed layout)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (mandatory: 4 quest items)
Many random in the maze. They do not always spawn.
- Spike traps
- Force traps
- Arrow Traps
After defeating Orphne's Shadow, the final chest is trapped with a blade trap. The trap triggers when the chest is opened.
There are many traps in this quest, so bringing a Rogue can be useful.
Tips and Misc
- A good (~25 on normal) Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate skill can help to avoid the fire giant fight. (Not possible on Epic Difficulty)
- Don't fall! Although the failing condition was removed from the quest, if you fall from the ledge you end up in a room with one Quori Spider. After defeating that one a portal opens that brings you back to Mistress Orphne. If you had any of the four Quest items on you, they will drop on the stairs at the entrance.
- When fighting the named fire giant, you can pull his mephits back up to the bridge and he won't follow. They will respawn a time or two, but once they are gone you can face him alone.
- Orphne will hit you with Lightning Bolts & Fireballs so make sure you have these resistances buffed before handing the last of her items back to her.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +8% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +15% Bonus.
- Golden Locket - Necklace: Enchantment Save +2
- Memnos Blossom - Trinket: Immunity to Fear
- Wooden Dagger - +1 Dagger: Power III
- Silver Mirror
- Chests: Total Three, Four on epic.
- One is available after end fight in a trapped passage
- Two will be available in the maze - in random locations
- One additional Epic Chest spawns upon completion. It contains some epic fragments and a chance at seals
- NPC rewards: Standard
- Arcane Oozes (6)
- Beholders (3)
- Granite Gargoyles
- Mephit of Lamannia
- Minotaur Elder Shamans - Red-named on Epic difficulties
- Minotaur Lords - Only spawn on epic difficulties
- Thaarak Hounds
- Dirge of Karrnath <Weapons Master> - Orange-named human; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Haywire <Gadgeteer> - Orange-named dwarf; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Ingstoldt - Orange-named fire giant (Red-named on epic difficulties)
- Marek Malcanus <Mastermind> - Orange-named halfling; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Orphne's Shadow - Red-named elf sorceress; end boss
- Quori Stalkers - Orange-named Quori spiders
- Shen Kulle - Orange-named elf; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Veil <Assassin> - Orange-named drow; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite