|Check out the new Discord server for all DDO players! Follow to the chat!|
|Requires access to : The Vault of Night|
Once a feared sorceress, Mistress Orphne is now a mere shadow of her former self...a prisoner of her own mind
|Takes place in:||Prison of the Mind|
|Bestowed by:||Shen Kulle|
|NPC contact:||Shen Kulle|
|Quest acquired in:||House Kundarak|
|Free to Play:||No|
Bodies of assassins lie outside Mistress Orphne's haven, slain by Orphne's loyal friend and protector, Shen Kulie. --However, the assassins succeeded in trapping Orphne inside her own mind, dooming her to a slow death.
Shen Kulie must stand guard against further attacks... but perhaps you can enter Mistress Orphne's Haven in the House Kundarak Enclave and free her from the prison of her mind.
- Speak with Mistress Orphne
- Locate Mistress Orphne's lost possessions
- - Silver Mirror
- - Golden Locket
- - Wooden Dagger
- - Memnos Blossom
- Return to Orphne with her possessions
- Return the Golden Locket
- Return the Wooden Dagger
- Return the Memnos Blossom
- Return the Silver Mirror
- Defeat Orphne's Shadow
- (Optional) Speak to the fire giant
- (Optional) Rid Ingstoldt's home of pests - Kill 8 (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat the guardian gargoyles - Kill 2 (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Kill Ingstouldt the fire giant (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Exterminate the Arcane Oozes - Kill 6 (10% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (random, some undisarmable)
- Maze (fixed layout)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (mandatory: 4 quest items)
Many random in the maze. They do not always spawn.
- Spike traps
- Force traps
- Arrow Traps
After defeating Orphne's Shadow, the final chest is trapped with a blade trap. The trap triggers when the chest is opened.
There are many traps in this quest, so bringing a Rogue can be useful.
Tips and Misc
This quest is now referred to as "The Prisoner" in Adventure Compendium, however it used to be called "The Prison of the Mind".
Part two of the Vault of Night (story arc) (often referred to as VoN2). Marek is sending you to help Mistress Orphne, who has been poisoned and is being held a prisoner within her own mind. She is slowly wasting away and needs your help in being freed.
The entrance to this quest can be found by looking for Mistress Orphne's haven within House Kundarak. Specifically, her protector Shen Kulle, a blond elf who holds a sword, stands outside of a quest entrance door located west of the northwest base corner of the House Kundarak Bank. Speak with him to get hold of a potion that will allow you to enter Mistress Orphne's dreams and attempt to rescue her.
This quest has a unique map (being a nightmare dream), so it can be difficult to find your way around. You have to recover four of Mistress Orphne's missing possessions to help her recover her faculties.
Special Note: The actual entrance to this quest is talking to Mistress Orphne which lets you choose the difficulty (Heroic/Epic Casual/Normal/Hard/Elite). The 1st entrance from House Kundarak leads to the small room where Mistress Orphne is and only has one difficulty selection, Heroic Normal.
- A good (~25 on normal) Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate skill can help to avoid the fire giant fight. (Not possible on Epic Difficulty)
- Don't fall! Although the failing condition was removed from the quest, if you fall from the ledge you end up in a room with one Quori Spider. After defeating that one a portal opens that brings you back to Mistress Orphne. If you had any of the four Quest items on you, they will drop on the stairs at the entrance.
- When fighting the named fire giant, you can pull his mephits back up to the bridge and he won't follow. They will respawn a time or two, but once they are gone you can face him alone.
- Orphne will hit you with Lightning Bolts & Fireballs so make sure you have these resistances buffed before handing the last of her items back to her.
- Golden Locket - Necklace: Enchantment Save +2
The quickest and easiest to obtain. Proceed to the right (south) and to southwest corner of the platform Orphne is on. There, you will find a stone tile path to the west. To the extreme west of the path is a ladder that climbs to a path to the north. Ignore that path for now and look to the left halfway down the path. There, you will see a wooden plank that spans the stone tile path to another stone platform to the south which initially looks to have nothing on or in it. As soon as you proceed across the plank and onto the platform, a beholder appears and attacks you. Kill it and a chest appears which is not trapped or locked. Obtain the Golden Locket inside.
- Memnos Blossom - Trinket: Immunity to Fear
Probably the second easiest to obtain after the Golden Locket. Proceed to the left and north of Orphne. Instead of proceeding east up the stone stairs (Wooden Dagger Path), proceed north across the fallen stone pillar path to the north. Defeat the beholder on the platform. Proceed up the ladder. At the top of the ladder, you will need to defeat a Quori Stalker (pink/magenta phase spider) to proceed along the path to the lair on the next stone tile platform. There, defeat the lair of Quori stalkers upon which a ladder will appear to allow you to proceed to climb up to the next platform level. There will be a collectable in a wood plank pile and the Memnos Blossom will appear as a collectable in a small alcove/copse of trees. Take the Memnos Blossom without any traps or further monsters to deal with.
- Wooden Dagger - +1 Dagger: Power III
This is the second hardest item to obtain (first is silver mirror). This path will lead you to the east and above the central area. The map icon will not yield any info, so follow along accordingly. Proceed up the stone stairs to the north and left of Orphne and proceed east to run intermittently to hide behind the stone pillars to avoid being blown off the path by the gushing wind blasts. Proceed past the shadow NPCs without talking to them to kill the Beholder at the end of the stone tile path. Jump to and climb up the ladder and avoid missing so as not to fall. At the top, kill the Tharaak hounds. Proceed up the next ladder, and kill the green oozes that drop from above. A purple mushroom collectible is located behind a stone pillar along the edge of the platform. After killing the green arcane oozes, proceed up two sets of small ladders against the stone rock wall. At the top, you have a fallen stone pillar to cross that has gushing wind blowing intermittently across it to knock you off if you are not fast enough to get across (FVS Leap of Faith, Monk Abundant Step, or Cannith Boots of Propulsion really help here, although there are some safe spots - x marks the spot!). Go to chest and open, no unlocking needed and no traps on it. Open to get wooden dagger.
- Silver Mirror
This is the hardest of the four items to obtain if you had to do it on your own with no help from this post. Go to the southwest corner of the platform Orphne is on. This will lead you to a stone tile pathway to the west. Halfway on the path to the west will be a wood plank to the south (Golden Locket path). Keep proceeding west until you come to a ladder that leads to a platform above and to the north. Once you climb the ladder, proceed a short distance west on the wood planked path and you will find yourself facing north into a stone walled maze where Tharaak hounds and Fire Minotaurs with axes lurk. A trapper is best for this maze as arrow, spike, and dart traps are found as designated on the maze map located elsewhere in this wiki post. Follow the maze path. The maze map is for the most part correct, save for when you get to the middle water pool. Assuming you are following the map and are using a trapper, once at the center pool on the west side, proceed east into the water and jump up onto the wood plank walkway and proceed south. It is your choice whether you wish to disable traps and fight monsters, but you could just as easily run past all of them given good enough reflex. Once out of the maze to the north, proceed up to the top stone level platform via the wood plank pathway. Once up top, proceed again up the wood plank platform. Although sound effects indicate there is an impending attack on you, ignore and proceed without incident. Once up the wood plank platform, you will find yourself heading west in an empty aqueduct where it ends in a short path to the north. You will find yourself on a stone tile platform with the Fire Giant named Ingstoldt who awaits your parley. He will bargain with you to kill mephits in the locked room behind him. It is your choice to fight him or not. If you agree to kill the mephits, the door behind him opens and the mephits appear once you enter the room. Kill all of them (two waves). Once done, go back out and obtain a silver key which Instoldt promised to open the chest where you will find the silver mirror. If you prematurely open the chest, Ingstoldt will attack. If you have not killed all the mephits, Ingstoldt will tell you to go back in and finish the job (sometimes you miss one hiding invisibly in the corner who loiters and did not come out to attack).
On the way to the Wooden Dagger, you will find a small village with the illusionary presence of some NPCs. They don't react to you, and never say anything. They are listed here just as trivia:
- Gilles Stonehurler
- Opal Moon
- Paela Chaatu
- Rain Eldersong
- Stella Dale
- Terence Wylder
- Warder Barrach
- Warder Ravnika
- Zarius d'Kundarak
- Devious bonus: 14 or less monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Chests: Total Three, Four on epic.
- One is available after end fight in a trapped passage
- Two will be available in the maze - in random locations
- One additional Epic Chest spawns upon completion. It contains some epic fragments and a chance at seals
- NPC rewards: Standard
- Arcane Oozes (6)
- Beholders (3)
- Granite Gargoyles
- Mephit of Lamannia
- Minotaur Elder Shamans - Red-named on Epic difficulties
- Minotaur Lords - Only spawn on epic difficulties
- Thaarak Hounds
- Dirge of Karrnath <Weapons Master> - Orange-named human; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Haywire <Gadgeteer> - Orange-named dwarf; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Ingstoldt - Orange-named fire giant (Red-named on epic difficulties)
- Marek Malcanus <Mastermind> - Orange-named halfling; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Orphne's Shadow - Red-named elf sorceress; end boss
- Quori Stalkers - Orange-named Quori spiders
- Shen Kulle - Orange-named elf; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite
- Veil <Assassin> - Orange-named drow; only spawns on Epic Hard and Epic Elite