The Jungle of Khyber
In these dark and forbidden depths, the hunter becomes the hunted.
|Requires access to : Vault of Night|
|Jungle of Khyber|
|Takes place in:||The Jungle of Khyber|
|Quest acquired in:||House Kundarak|
|Free to Play:||No|
This is the second half of part three in the Vault of Night (story arc). The drow woman Veil has made her lair somewhere in these dark tunnels. Your goal is to find her before her nemesis, the Inevitable (Marut), finds her, and destroy it. Fight your way through the caverns protected by Veil's tribe and hired lackeys.
Should you succeed in saving her, she will be on the team to help in the Vault. Go speak to Marek again to get VoN4 quest, Haywire Foundry.
- Track the huntress Veil to her lair
- Slay inevitable
- Fight your way past the drow who serve Veil
- Fight your way past the beholders who guard Veil's path
- Slay Groktin the Elder Beholder
- Slay Pragon Luridae
- Slay Champion Deathblood
- (Optional) Slay Blackheart Ambassador (rare) Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Aryip Luridae Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Chacter Luridae Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Drinto Luridae Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Huarn Luridae Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Mrist Luridae Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Wumat Luridae Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Dartak the Beholder (rare) Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Prikta the Beholder (rare) Heroic: +7.5% Bonus. Epic: +7.5% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed and 2 random, 1 undisarmable)
- Runes (mandatory: require INT checks, 11+ needed)
- Point of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Force wave (After first lever, box after trap)
- Sonic blast (Aryip Luridae's chest)
- Continuous electric trap (Troll Ambassador chest)
- Force blast (Lever after earth elemental fight)
Tips and Misc
- This quest has beholders. Spell absorption items are encouraged
- Death ward is highly recommended
- The Inevitable has a high DR/Chaotic. Chaotic weapons are suggested
This is a great experience and favor quest, as well as being part of the series to flag for Velah. This walkthrough will be a thorough run for a group looking for the all the optional xp bonuses. Before going any farther, be sure you have someone who has a 11 intelligence for the runes. It is absolutely necessary to complete the quest.
Okay, to start off with, buffs. The drow casters in here will rotate between fireball, orb lightning, icestorm and magic missiles. The prophets will use inflict wounds and searing light. Set up defenses as you feel is necessary to deal with this. There are multiple beholders so it is always a good idea to have an item that has deathblock on it.
Now head in, hug the right wall and go up the ramp. There is a named and two little drow casters, defeat them for the chest. Now hop down and clear out the scorrow and all the scorpions.
Haste and have everybody lean into the door, ready to bolt in. Have the rogue stay back and pull the lever, as soon as that door opens, if everyone goes full speed into the next room, they will get in before the nasty force trap goes off.
While the group clears out the bad guys, the rogue can slip through and disarm both trap boxes. If the named is there, wait for the rogue to disarm the trap on the chest. Move further in and kill the scorrow and drow.
The closed door houses the trollish ambassadors. If the named is there, have the rogue disarm the lightning trap before opening the chest. Be sure to break the barrels.
The lever in the next room will close the door behind you, spawn a room full of scorpions, and let a scorrow priest in, as well as allow a drow caster from above slam the doorway with spells. Open the door when you are ready for a fight, then back up out of range of the drow caster. Clear the room, then move out to deal with the drow above and the scorrow in the hallway below.
There is a shrine above a small rock wall at the far side of the room. Continue on when ready, approach the door to trigger the earth elementals. Once they are defeated, a wave of drow will flood the hallway, casting spells and firing arrows. Once they are cleared out, head further in. Have the rogue disarm the trap on the next door.
In the next hall is a scorrow rogue sneaking around, and three drow to your left guarding a chest. Clear them out, pop the chest and kill the scorpions that come out to visit. Head further up the hall, breaking barrels, when you approach the defensive drow line of archers and shaman, a stealthy group of drow will jump you from behind.
Clear them out and continue down the hall, killing drow as you go. When you reach the Marut devastated hallway, get ready for a big drow fight. The next hallway is a large drow camp, with many casters and priests. After dealing with it, go right to a room filled with archers and a chest. Then head out the other way. Taking out drow as you go, at the crossroads take a left, this will lead to another small drow party. Another little group of them sits in a dead end hall further left. Now circle around. There will be a hole in the ground in the alcove to your left. Inside is a room filled with drow casters and priests, get ready for them and hop down and kick some butt. Sometimes there is a named in here and an extra chest. Either way, break all the breakables to get ransack, and continue up the ladder and deeper into the tunnels.
Stay straight at the crossroads (a right turn will circle back the way you came) and move up to a fire with the last of the drow in the upper tunnels. Take them out and clear the archers from the shrine. Grab the key in the chest, save the shrine for a bit if you can.
The next hallway leads into the beholders’ domain. A huge hall filled with mushrooms, flanked by two overlooking ledges. It is recommended you leave a cleric well back from the party, out of the fight and out of sight of the beholders. If things go badly, little ghosts of fallen adventurers can run back to the cleric for a raise dead spell.
The first hall is a crossroads , the path splits three ways. Straight takes you into the bottom level of the main mushroom chamber, left and right each takes you up to the respective flanking overlooks.
There are three beholders that patrol the crossroads. Deal with them then head up left. The cleric can move up to the crossroads at this point. Check for the named beholder that sometimes lives on this overpass. If he is there then kill him, grab the chest, then circle back to the crossroads and up to the right side. There are two beholders up here, sometimes a third who is a named. Deal with them, grab the chest if it is there and get ready for more. Now drop down at the far end of the overpass, there is a beholder at a blue force door. Then turn around and hop up the mushrooms, take out the final three beholders patrolling the rest of the room and firing from mushrooms above.
Now search the room for the random location intelligence runes which are necessary to drop the force door. You must have at least an intelligence of 11 to pass the DC check. Head back and shrine, it is now ‘use it or lose it’.
Head out of the beholder halls and up to the cliff face overlooking an underground lake. If you want, there is an optional to the left. You must hop across some small ledges on the left wall up to a drow caster and his iron golem, the protect a chest. Then you can jump with featherfall to the right, over the cliff face and into the last defenses of the drow.
If you miss the jump or don’t have featherfall, there is a geyser that will launch you up and over the wall. It is much easier to land on top of the wall and range everything on the other side. If you just jump over, there are large numbers of drow you will have to face.
Do not use charm spells here, unless you need to slow down the fight. As you clear each room, another will open up, until you have taken out almost all of the defenses. Behind one door is a shrine, the next holds a chest, the last leads further in.
Before going further, back up the party into the shrine room. Set up a melee wall, with the ranged and casters in the shrine room. Now have one person head out and grab the attention of the 3 named bosses sitting in the next hall.
Use your shield wall and deal with them, the troll is red named but the drow is not, so use an instant kill spell if you want on the drow.
Once they are done, a good method for the big beholder is to stay out of his range and shoot him, or use damage over time spells and stand back.
When that is clear, buff up the melees with lightning and sonic resist, then shrine up and head out for the last fight. Grab your chest on the way.
Final fight against the Inevitable:
Be sure everyone is fully buffed with sonic resistance, lightning resistance, and preferably protection from elements and protection from evil as well.
Don't talk to the NPC until everyone is in the main arena, otherwise a barrier will appear in the doorway past the chest you just looted preventing anyone left behind from entering or leaving. The barrier will drop upon successful completion of the quest, or if everyone in the room dies (so you may consider leaving someone outside who can sneak in and pick up soulstones to bring back to the shrine).
The Inevitable attacks with fists of thunder and lightning. Casts greater command (protection from evil negates), and can blind with his special attack. If you intend to fight him in melee, be sure to wear a blindness immunity item, as he spams his blindness punch far too often to rely on removal spells. You'll also want a chaotic aligned weapon to bypass his damage reduction.
Killing him on caster is far easier, as he is a slow moving boss, so it's trivial to kite him as long as you have haste and some strong ranged attack spells such as wall of fire, blade barrier, fireballs or even just plain old magic missile. He does have a small amount of energy resistance to most types, but isn't immune to anything. He does have some minor regeneration ability, so be sure to hit him with a good steady stream of attacks.
Two earth elementals will awaken shortly after he comes in the room to add to the fun. Best eliminate them quickly before they earth grab you. They have fairly low hit points and no longer re spawn, even on epic.
Once you eliminate him, the quest will be complete. There is no end chest except on epic difficulty, where you will find an epic chest filled with loot, a dungeon token and possibly a seal.
- Discreet bonus: 23 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 89 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 114 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 140 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 16 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 21 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 25 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Conquest requires killing respawning drow on C/N/H/EC and EN difficulties. Onslaught will even be missed on Casual due to very low monster total without respawn kills. Epic Hard simply requires all kills, while Epic Elite some can even be skipped.
Ingenious debilitation is not always available, as 2 of 5 trap boxes are random.
- Chests: 5 minimum, potentially up to 11. Plus 1 for epic.
- One possible right at the start of the quest, up a ramp guarded by a (optional) named drow
- One possible just past the first trap, guarded by a (optional) named drow
- One possible if (optional) Blackheart Ambassador shows up
- One past the second trap, guarded by scorpions
- One past the major battle against a dozen drow, to the right near another named drow
- One possible down an optional pit, guarded by a (optional) named drow
- One or two possible if one or both named (optional) Beholders show up
- One guarded by a Iron Golem and named (optional) drow up on a ledge
- One before the triple boss fight
- One after the triple boss fight
- One Epic Chest! spawns upon quest completion on epic difficulties.
- On Epic Casual/Normal/Hard: It contains roughly 30-80 Dungeon Token Fragments, and a chance at epic seals.
- On Epic Elite: It contains 1 full dungeon token, and a chance at epic seals.
- NPC rewards: Standard random selection of items