House Tharashk competes with Deneith for mercenary positions in Stormreach and beyond.
|Requires access to : Vault of Night|
|Takes place in:||Tharashk Arena|
|Bestowed by:||Dirge of Karrnath|
|NPC contact:||Dirge of Karrnath|
|Quest acquired in:||House Kundarak|
|Free to Play:||No|
After speaking to Marek Malcanus to get the Vault of Night started. Marek will ask you to persuade his disbanded mercenary group, The Laughing Knives, to reform. First member on the list is Arms Master Dirge of Karrnath who is arguing with a bugbear to the South. He requests that you obtain the famous Oath of Droaam Axe before he will rejoin the Laughing Knives.
Once you successfully complete this quest, Dirge of Karrnath will be on the team and you can then speak to Marek again to move on to the second part, Prison of the Mind.
- Find House Tharashk's secret arena
- Speak with the registrar about fighting as a gladiator
- Gain access to the Halls of Strife
- Find the key to Ready Room One
- Replace the gladiators in Ready Room One
- Defeat the kobold and ogre gladiators
- Defeat the minotaur and mephit gladiators
- Defeat the combined wave of gladiators
- Defeat Deadheart the Unbeaten and his sidekick
- Seize the Oath of Droaam from the Arena pedestal
- (Optional) Speak with Dirge's drow contact
- (Optional) Defeat Angog the Champion Heroic: +10% Bonus. Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Learn the password for the Halls of Strife Heroic: +5% Bonus. Epic: +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Myr'dril Heroic: +15% Bonus. Epic: +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the drunken ogres - Kill 4 Heroic: +10% Bonus. Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Urgol's troll enforcers - Kill 4 Heroic: +10% Bonus. Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Enforcer Smashjaw Heroic: +15% Bonus. Epic: +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Grogan the Promoter Heroic: +15% Bonus. Epic: +15% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
The drow, halfway to the arena, can give you the password to the ready room area if you pay him some gold. Be careful because that drow can become hostile if you attempt to intimidate and fail (Intimidate 11 failed on HN; 44 failed on HE). Even if you don't buy the password from the drow, a good Bluff skill can help to avoid at least one fight.
Note: You can first pay Myr'dril for the password and then choose to kill him for both optional XP awards. If you do fight him without getting the password first, when it comes time to use the password you will have to fight the nearby guards. Defeating the guards will then gain you access into the ready room area. Of course, you can bypass him all together and just fight the guards.
Epic Note: None of the spectators or the six hobgoblins at the beginning of the quest scale on epic, so they can be safely ignored or dispatched with one shot.
Once you fight your way into the arena, there will be four rounds as follows:
- Ogres and kobold shamans
- Minotaurs and air mephits
- Ogres, kobold shamans, minotaurs, and air mephits
- A very tough named troll and his less tough troll "sidekick"
On rounds two and three, it helps to look through the gates and find the one where the minotaurs are walking up. You can then run through when it opens and kill them separately so they won't keep knocking you down while you face everything. This tactic also works for the mephits if you want to take them out first. On epic, running through the south-west room during the first round lets you challenge the ogre mage Unkor (from Chains of Flame) to a duel, thus removing him from the third round.
Also the named troll has a lot of HP, regenerates very fast, and hits fairly hard. It's easy to take out his sidekick first and then concentrate on him. You will have to be able to do a lot of damage quickly or use fire/acid to take him down.
His club has a chance to proc Otto's Irresistable Dance when he strikes you so beware.. The best counters against this are either not getting hit (AC, Displace, Cloudkill) or break enchantment (removes the dance).
- Aggression bonus: 77 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 101 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 47 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 62 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 76 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2 (3 Epic)
- One behind a locked door (Door may be picked [Epic Normal and Epic Elite; Open Lock DC: 90], and Grogan holds the key)
- One at Air Mephits' ready room
- Epic chest is rewarded in addition to these chests at quest completion in the arena. Contains fragments and a chance at epic seals.
- Collectables: 1
- Adventurer's Pack in Arena
- NPC rewards: Standard
|Heroic DC table|
|Epic DC table|