Fathom the Depths
|Requires access to adventure pack: The Red Fens|
|Fathom the Depths|
|Heroic XP:||♣2,263 ♦3,988 ♥4,187 ♠4,386|
|Epic XP:||♣10,882 ♦18,753 ♥19,368 ♠19,984|
|Takes place in:||Ancient Ziggurat|
|Quest acquired in:||The Red Fens|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Sahuagin have enslaved the local Drow to dig up a powerful magic artifact from the ziggurat in the swamp. Enter the ziggurat, free the slaves, and attempt to retrieve the artifact. First part of the Red Fens(chain arc).
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Speak with Foxpaw
- Lower the magical barriers and flood the area
- Defeat Slomnuc
- (Optional) Free the Raveneye captives before lowering the barriers (7 total) (20% of base xp)
- (Optional) Slay the Treasure Guardian (45% of base xp)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- Sonic (do not disable before the you flip the lever)
Tips and Misc
- To get to the quest entrance, find the fencing on the northeast side of the ziggurat and follow the path up and around the structure.
- Underwater Action items are recommended. But you can get through with -8.5 swimming without any water breathing items or spells.
- Do your best to break breakables before you flip the lever.
- After the barrier is lowered, a waterfall appears at the top of the ladder. The Dungeon Master will tell you it is "impossible" to go against the current, but with Underwater Action and a modified swim score as low as 10, it is indeed possible. Doing so is hardly necessary - the path 'forward' from the lever loops back around - but backtracking to the most recent small chest allows you to bypass several sonic traps.
- Underwater sonic traps are marked with glowing white spiral drawings on the walls; swim below those to avoid the traps. Be cautious of your party members - some of the traps are oriented to hit everyone behind the person who triggers them, so being careless (or following too closely behind someone who is careless) can get you hit.
- There are seven captives to rescue.
- There is a collectable in the waterfall-nook south of the second rest shrine - the first room where you meet water elementals. It is prohibitively difficult to reach the nook directly unless your Jump exceeds 34; instead, proceed to the next room, defeat the second group of elementals, then turn around. Facing back the way you came, there is debris on the right-hand side; jump on that, then jump across to the other side. You should be able to obtain the collectable without nearly as much difficulty.
- Generous XP for finishing the optional treasure guardian.
- The optional treasure guardian is a huge square of jello (Gelatinous Cube) with a chest inside of it. You will need acid resist.
- You cannot damage the guardian until all of the runes at the bottom of the cavern are turned off by running over them. Do it quickly because before long air jets will be blowing throughout the caverns (above and below) that will blow you into the jello monster and several nasty traps at the bottom.
- Once you've turned off all the runes, run to the center to finish the fight to avoid the air jets blowing you into the traps and the guardian.
- A way of killing the Gelatinous cube is to shoot it with a Shortbow or Longbow and move backwards and shoot it again and again until it dies. This can be very long. Make sure you move quickly otherwise the wind traps will blow you into the Cube.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +8% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 46 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- It may be possible to get kill bonuses by farming the respawning sahuagin mage and water eles in the room with Foxpaw, after flooding the area; 81 kills was not enough. It may also be possible to stealth into the boss room and open the door to the treasure room before killing Slomnuc for additional kills.
- Chests: Up to six (Tip: Both small chests can be accessed early with use of Abundant Step or similar abilities)
- Small Chest in the room with the first Rest Shrine, accessible after the flood.
- Small Chest in a passage north-west of the first shrine room, accessible after the flood.
- Locked Chest behind a secret door (the door located behind the underwater lever near the Sogshadow Moss Patch that gives water breathing).
- Chest after defeating Slomnuc
- The Guardian's chest, which only contains the key to the final chest
- The sahuagin's treasure chest (with three piles of gold around it)
- NPC rewards: Random items with total enchantment bonus +1 to +3
- Boots of the Mire - Boots: Balance +7, Underwater Action, Marshwalker [ML:7, BtC]
- Shaman's Beads - Necklace: Charisma +3, Evocation Focus, Shaman's Fury [ML:7, BtC]
- Siren's Charm - Necklace: Constitution +4, Sonic Resistance, Siren's Ward [ML:7, BtC]
Named Chest Drop
- Dampened Robe of Dissonance - Robe: Lesser Sonic Resistance, Sonic Guard, Improved Resonance IV, Improved Impulse IV, Dampened [ML:7]
- Bound Water Elementals
- Deep Water Channelers - Sahuagin
- Deep Water Mages - Sahuagin
- Deep Water Scouts - Sahuagin
- Deep Water Soldiers - Sahuagin
- Drowned - Zombies
- Mire Rats