|Items | Crafting | Collectables | Quests | Challenges | Maps | Monsters | Places | Favor |
Races | Classes | Enhancements | Epic Destinies | Feats | Skills | Spells | Glossary
We are testing a new skin! Let us know what you think.
|Please log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!or|
The Claw of Vulkoor
|Requires access to adventure pack: The Red Fens|
The Claw of Vulkoor has appeared deep inside territory belonging to the local fire giants.
|The Claw of Vulkoor|
|Heroic XP:||♣1,590 ♦2,860 ♥2,950 ♠3,164|
|Epic XP:||♣11,870 ♦14,900 ♥15,125 ♠15,350|
|Takes place in:||Claw Canyon|
|Quest acquired in:||The Red Fens|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Claw of Vulkoor has appeared near the Raveneye refugee camp. The Claw bestows a blessing upon any drow who uses it, but unfortunately it has appeared in territory belonging to hostile fire giants.
Croaker wants you to travel to Claw Canyon, west of the drow camp, and try to negotiate passage through the fire giants' territory.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Speak with priestess Ionna
- Help the Drow find the Claw of Vulkoor
- Defeat the warlock, Sobrien
- Speak with cursed Ionna
- Retrieve Ionna's staff
- Gather the cursed scorpions
- Break the curse on the Drow
- Stick Ionna's staff into the octagon
- Don't leave Ionna's staff behind
- Climb to the top of the Claw of Vulkoor
- Break the curse on the Drow
- (Optional) Defeat the Chieftain Uggorn (rare) (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Pass unnoticed by scorpion guardians (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Pass unnoticed by roaming scorpions (20% of base XP)
- (Optional) Pacify all the scorpion guardians (7 guardians) (10% of base XP, +2% for each one, = 24% XP total)
- (Optional) Do not rob the giant's tomb (30% of base XP)
- (Optional) Face the wrath of Prince Gornard (8% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some appear only on certain difficulties)
- Overlapping floors
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- One of the few quests where you can significantly more XP by being stealthy. (About 89% optional xp, and 7% bonus xp for a completely stealthy approach versus 8% optional xp, and 25% bonus xp for killing and smashing everything in your path.)
- Informally: Stealthy Repossession with scorpions.
- If you try to stealth the quest, memorize the paths of the wandering scorpions, and either stay out of their way or get to one side and hold still before they get close. For the nesting scorpions, stay as far away as possible. In either case, they may be less inclined to react to a failed Listen check than a failed Spot (invisibility is useful) check, so if you have to get close, stay behind them. If you think you've failed and are about to be attacked, get as far away from the Guardians (or break line of sight) before you are forced out of Sneak mode. You can kill lots of monsters and still succeed (20 monsters is low enough for the 5% Discreet award), but you can lose out on XP for several optionals, may lose out on an optional chest (this chest will spawn next to the last pressure plate and can be easily overseen).
- If you can sneak up on the Fire Giant in the down-sloping tunnel before he can reach the lever, the fire traps will not go off.
- Directly at the first door with a lever are 2 secret doors. One leads into a tunnel where an optional Fire Giant 'Chieftain Uggorn' may spawn in front of the Mirror Door. At the end of this tunnel is a third secret door. The fourth secret door is in the chamber of Prince Gornard. You must be able to open the secret door in Prince Gornard's chamber in order to finish the quest.
- Avoid the fire trapped passage by taking the first secret door on the left, opening the hatch and dropping into the Mirror room where there is a shrine. The end of this passage comes out next to the end of the fire trapped passage, bypassing it. You will have to fight a few extra giants in this passage but it's much easier than running the fire traps in the other passage.
- After getting past the sixth Guardian, you'll come across a fire giant kneeling next to some lava near a resurrection shrine. There's a rest shrine directly above it, which can be gotten to by following the ledge up.
- If you decide to loot the chests in the burial chamber, the skeleton of Prince Gornard will spawn. He is a giant skeleton who likes throwing blade barriers. On hard mode also several Scorpions will arrive as soon as he is defeated. If you open the secret door in Prince Gornard's chamber before defeating him, the last guardian will rush in after the fight and you will not be able to do the pacify guardian optional for him.
- Please note that upon quest completion, this 'area' gets deactivated if skipped.
- You can actually use Ionna's staff as a weapon during the quest, but it will drop from your inventory upon completion.
- Wilderness area note: Upon finishing the mission, one or more Blessed Drow Scorpion Warriors will spawn in the Red Fens Wilderness Area. While they do not leave their location, they assist the party in combat if enemy mobs are drawn close enough.
- Devious bonus: 12 monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 88 monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 26 breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 36 breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 44 breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Zero to a possible maximum of 5 (Very difficult to get all, as you need to both be lucky enough to get the rare, stealthy enough, and strong enough to kill the skeleton)
- 2 chests and several gold piles for stealing from and slaying Prince Gornard
- 1 optional chest for passing unnoticed by roaming scorpions
- 1 optional chest for pacifying all scorpion guardians
- 1 chest for slaying the rare spawn Chieftain Uggorn, spawns out of mirror by first shrine
- 1 additional Epic chest with Epic Dungeon Token Fragments on Epic difficulty only
- Collectables: Three
- Colossal Clam at the very bottom of the pit, behind some rocks
- Colossal Clam in the water near the western shrine
- Colossal Clam in the final chamber
- NPC rewards: Selection of 4 Random items with total enchantment bonus of +1 to +5, from a Helm of Inner Focus (Concentration +3) to a Clever Ring of Doom (+2 Int, Doom 3/day), BtA, less minimum level than usual - max ml:5.
- Gloves of the Claw - Gloves: Strength +3, Intimidate +7, Vulkoor's Might [ML:7, BtC]
- Necklace of Venom - Necklace: Proof Against Poison, False Life, Vulkoor's Cunning [ML:7, BtC]
- Sacred Band - Ring: Wisdom +4, Lesser Turning, Divine Blessing [ML:7, BtC]
- Dampened Cacophonic Verge - Wand: Sonic Blast (CL:4, 50/50), Dampened [ML:5, BtA, Exclusive, UMD:19] (Prince Gornard's Chest)
- Dampened Shatterbow - +1 Longbow: Screaming, Construct Bane, Move Silently -5, Dampened [ML:7] (Scorpions Optional Chest)
- Fire Giants
- Healing Scorpions
- Roaming Scorpions
- Scorpion Ambushers
- Scorpion Guardians - Orange-named on epic