A Small Problem
|Requires access to : Phiarlan Carnival|
Now that House Phiarlan has taken over production, changes are afoot.
|A Small Problem|
|Takes place in:||Mammoth Valley|
|Bestowed by:||Glitter Underhill|
|NPC contact:||Glitter Underhill|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||No|
In order to satisfy her Phiarlan financiers, Glitter Underhill need to replace her Dwarven lead actor with someone.... a bit bigger.
Glitter has asked you to find a Giant and sign him into her cast. She's heard of an unusually capable Giant named Brawnpits, who resides somewhere in Mammoth Valley. You can take one of the caravans from the House Phiarlan Enclave to reach it.
- This is the first quest in the Phiarlan Carnival story arc.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Find Brawnpits
- Speak with Brawnpits
- Follow Brawnpits
- Explain theater to Brawnpits
- Convince Brawnpits to become an actor
- Earn Brawnpits' trust
- Bring Brawnpits some water
- Crush rocks for Brawnpits' hearth: 6 total
- Bring Brawnpits the crushed rocks
- Collect some firewood for Brawnpits: 4 total
- Seek blessing of the sky spirit
- Do not let Brawnpits die
- Warn Brawnpits of danger
- Lead Brawnpits to the caravan
- (Optional) Brothers Grim survive (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat the enraged hearth spirits: 8 total (30% of base XP)
- (Optional) Find and defeat more rock spirits: 6 total (30% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Quest failure (if Brawnpits dies)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Mandatory jumping game.
- Protect an NPC (mandatory: Brawnpits)
- Quest item collection (mandatory: 4 firewood)
Tips and Misc
- This quest involves fighting along the top of cliff, as well as leaping across gaps - be sure to bring a Feather Falling item if possible.
- Stealing something (which will be a collectable) from the Giant's sack spawns a fight with Thum Grim and Nale Grim.
- Use the altar in front of the shrines before collecting the water at the waterfall. Using the waterfall first will give you "Cursed Water" and will spawn 2 hostile Water Elementals that do frost damage. You will also get hit with Freezing Spray, which makes you extra vulnerable to cold water.
- Quest item: Blessed Water - "This is clear mountain water, gathered from a waterfall."
- Cursed Water - "Something about this water just does not smell right."
- Brawnpits won't accept cursed water.
- To crush rocks, you need to fight and defeat several Earth Elementals; they are quiescent until you approach them, giving you a chance to defeat the restless animals which are usually nearby. Alternatively, you can go through Mammoth and Rocky Valleys before giving Brawnpits the water and fight the animals separately, if you wish to deal with the elementals on their own.
- The extra earth elementals for the Optional are mostly down the Rocky Valley; the final one, however, is near the north shrine, which is accessible only by jumping down from the upper level (from near the northeast pile of firewood). There is an extra set of shrines here.
- Thum Grim can toss you up to the firewood. Talk to him, then stand on the cauldron in front of him and talk to him again, and he will kick you up. Be sure you're in the center of the cauldron, as your positioning determines the angle at which you are kicked.
- If you stole from and therefore fought (and killed) the Grim Brothers, you can get to the upper level by going to the northwest corner of the map (through the Rocky Valley) and running up the slope.
- There are 6 piles of Firewood; you only need to collect 4, but picking up each pile will spawn a fire elemental. The last two spawn when you come back to Brawnpits after collecting firewood.
- Quest item: Firewood - "Chips and planks that may once have been part of a barrel."
- Eat Brawnpit's Stew to gain 15 minutes of Jump +30.
- The Sky Altar requires you to jump across several gaps. Even with the stew's jump bonus, Feather Fall is still required for most classes. It's actually easier to start by going up the northwest slope, rather than having Thum Grim kick you.
- After speaking to the Sky Spirit, you're given a 30-second Feather Fall; you should be able to jump and land in Brawnpit's Camp.
- On any difficulty above hard (Heroic up to Epic Elite) Tieflings may spawn at the altar. The Sky Spirit will be aggressive until they are defeated.
- Like any Air Elemental, the Sky Spirit can throw you around, and possibly off the platform.
- The Tieflings which attack Brawnpits are Evil Outsiders; they're immune to cold and fire.
- You don't get the "Brother Grims Survive" Optional until you get near them with Brawnpits; at this point, you can no longer open their sack, however, Brawnpits will give you "Holiday Presents" (an extra chest, spawns Grim's Bracelet) for completing this Optional.
- On Elite:
- As soon as you get the objective to jump up to the Air Shrine, quite a few respawning casters will appear on the rocks you need to jump on to get up to it, and they cast Phantasmal Killer quite a bit, so a Deathblock item will come in very handy. You can bypass the casters by having one member of the party jump up to the shrine before turning in the firewood and simply having them use the air shrine as soon as the rest of the party is ready to defend Brawnpits.
- Brawnpits' canine Messengers will spawn just before you reach the caravan with him and attack.
- Clear your way to Brawnpits, do not touch the big backpack where the giants are on the way.
- After talking to Brawnpits and receiving the first objective of obtaining the blessed water, clear the map of all wolves and clear the spiders up rock canyon. Spiders can be stunned to make that part of the task a little easier.
- Return the water to Brawnpits and obtain the crush rock objective. Head up rock canyon and a good crowd control caster can Otto's Irresistible Dance the Earth Elementals. Clear all of the earth eles and then use the hidden shrine in the north east corner of the map (There is an earth ele there as well).
- Return the crushed rocks and get the firewood objective. Fire Elementals can be danced just the same as the earth eles. Collect just enough Firewood to complete the objective.
- Upon returning the firewood to Brawnpits, 2 more Fire Elementals will spawn and attack Brawnpits. Dance them and take them out.
- As soon as you get the objective to jump up to the Air Shrine, quite a few casters will appear on the rocks you need to jump across to get up to the objective, and they cast Meteor Swarm a lot. They will re-spawn as you jump from rock to rock, so do not jump back and forth. The Sky Spirit will be hostile as long as there are Tieflings and other creatures on the same rock as him. Kill them to be able to talk to him and advance the quest.
- Quickly jump from the Air Elemental's shrine to Brawnpits and kill the spawns there. At this point everyone that needs to shrine should use the one at the Water Element's shrine.
- Clear up to Brawnpits nephews. After collecting the "Holiday Presents" continue on and clear one more set of mobs, this is last set before the end fight. Park Brawnpits here and hit him with every extended buff you have. All player characters at this point need to go back and use the shrine at Brawnpits' camp. After shrining, everyone should head back to Brawnpits and buff up.
- Brawnpits' canine Messengers, 1 more spirit of the hearth, along with several re-spawning tieflings will spawn just before you reach the caravan with him and attack.
- Aggression bonus: 85 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 110 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 134 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Notes: Onslaught and Conquest are only available on elite/epic. Onslaught requires minor respawn killing, Conquest requires heavy respawn killing.
- 1 for earning Brawnpits' trust (found at Brawnpits' camp)
- 1 after Brawnpits tells the Brothers Grim to leave, if you didn't fight and kill them earlier (found at Grim Brothers' Camp)
- at the end
- Collectables: 22
- Moss in a dead-end north of where you start
- Moss in another dead-end just to the east
- Mushroom behind a tree north of the Grim Brothers' Camp, at the fork
- Mushroom behind a tree in a dead-end just southeast of the camp (The Slithering Pass)
- Mushroom behind bushes south-center of the map (bottom of the slope before meeting Brawnpits)
- Flowering Plant just east of the mountain spring
- Another Flowering Plant just east of that, behind some bushes
- Mushroom northeast of Brawnpits' camp
- Mushroom slightly to the northwest
- Mushroom up the hill to the northwest
- Mushroom due east of that, in the northeast corner of the map
- Moss southwest of that
- Moss in the northwest corner, past the Rocky Valley
- Flowering plant near the northern shrines
- Flowering plant near the northwest firewood
- Rest are all on the Winding Cliffs (upper level)
- Moss south of Brawnpits' Camp
- Flowering Plant nearby
- Mushroom nearby
- Moss to the northeast (have to leap across several gaps), on way to Giants' Altar
- Flowering plant east of where Thum Grim throws you (unsure how to get there)
- Fungus Patch south of that (unsure how to get there)
- Mushroom south of that (unsure how to get there)
- NPC rewards: Standard, list of 8 items, 0-1 level items
Named Chest Drop
All items areand ML 3
- Brawn's Spirits - Trinket: Intimidate +5, Curse of Foolishness, Curse of Dullness, (Brawnpits' chest)
- Grim's Bracelet - Necklace: Strength +2, Natural Armor +2 (Grim Brothers' chest)
- Malefic Firebreathers - tieflings with a limited-ranged fire attack
- Malefic Illusionists - tiefling wizards
- Malefic Knife Throwers - tieflings; their knives have Greensteel Poison
- Malefic Seers - tiefling clerics
- Malefic Strongmen - tieflings
- Restless Lions
- Restless Spiders
- Restless Wolves
- Messenger of Peaks - Orange-named wolf, appears on heroic elite and all epic difficulties
- Messenger of Pits - Red-named wolf, appears on heroic elite and all epic difficulties
- Messenger of Plains - Orange-named wolf, appears on heroic elite and all epic difficulties
- Messenger of Prairies - Orange-named hyena, appears on heroic elite and all epic difficulties
- Nale Grim - Optional red-named Giant; you only fight him if you steal something from his sack
- Spirit of the Hearth - Optional orange named fire elementals
- Spirit of the Rain - Optional orange-named water elementals; you only fight them if you get water without their blessing
- Spirit of the Rocks - Orange-named earth elementals
- Spirit of the Sky - Orange-named air elemental; if you kill him or let the tieflings kill him, you have to restart the fight.
- Thum Grim - Optional red-named Giant; you only fight him if you steal something from his sack