|Requires access to adventure pack: Phiarlan Carnival|
House Phiarlan bears the Dragonmark of Shadow, giving them unrivaled control over the power of illusion.
|Heroic XP:||♣1,475 ♦2,640 ♥2,822 ♠3,003|
|Epic XP:||♣8,860 ♦15,284 ♥15,801 ♠16,318|
|Takes place in:||Phiarlan Chapterhouse|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Maleficent Cabal is secretly planning to strike a social party hosted by House Phiarlan. Cyan has asked you to infiltrate the party and add her to the guest list, so that she can counter them from the inside.
She recommends taking the Phiarlan Chapterhouse's Illusionarium entrance. The Chapterhouse is located in the House Phiarlan Enclave.
- This is the second quest in the Phiarlan Carnival story arc.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Go through the Illusionarium to reach the Ball Room
- Go through the Chapterhouse chambers to reach the Ball Room
- Find the Guest List and add your names
- Speak to Cyan in the Grand Gala for further instructions
- Search for Cabal plots against the Gala and report back to Cyan
- Gather to protect the Viceroy
- Defeat the Cabal's assassins
Recommended Optionals to make end fight easier
- (Optional) Slay the Tieflings hidden in the private rooms (20% of base XP)
- (Optional) Lure the Tiefling in servant guise out of the Ballroom and slay her (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Lure the Tiefling disguised as a guest out of the Ballroom and slay him (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free the brainwashed guards without killing them (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Talk your way past the guards (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Switch out the crystal for the Viceroy's Illusionary Sculpture (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Inform Salva d'Phiarlan in the Ball Room that the sculpture has been switched. (0 XP)
- (Optional) Investigate Hitchstone's claims that the stagehand is trying to kill him (30% of base XP)
- (Optional) Retrieve the Urn from the Viceregal office (20% of base XP)
- (Optional) Inform Drake Aramon in the Ball Room of how the Urn was treated (0 XP)
Optional After End Boss Fight (Note: you will need to have picked up the Viceregal Office key from Drake Aramon and the Contraband Vault Key from the end chest)
- (Optional) Defeat Inkrakos (50% of base XP)
- After the end fight, find Drake Aramon (Master Artificer) in the main ballroom, and get the 'Gold Office Key'. Using either D-Door or the side door from the entrance lobby, go to the start of the quest and retrace your steps, taking a right at the security runes to get to the office. Once you use the Contraband Vault key on the corner door, touching the status starts the fight. The two chests in the vault are significantly higher level than the quest, dropping level 12 loot on Heroic Elite, and level 27 loot on Epic Hard (So, eligible for +4 tomes).
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- Collapsible floor
- Multiple quest entrances (2)
- Puzzle (optional: puzzle wheel)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Runes (optional: 6 that require CHA, CON, DEX, INT, STR and WIS checks)
- Multiple instances of Illusionary-spike traps (these do Force damage)
- All Illusionary spikes use WILL saves- Evasion does not apply!
- Spike trap in Illusionarium hallway before the third biome; control box is on the left-hand wall
- Air trap in third Illusionarium hallway; control box is on the arch's central support
- Spike traps in third Illusionarium hallway. No control box; they're disabled by destroying the correct Mark of Shadow.
- Spike traps in the south corridor of the Chapterhouse. No control box.
- Spinning blade trap under theater; control box is to the north, next to the lever.
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs: acid resist (against Melf's Acid Arrow), resist sonic (against Sonic Blast), resist cold (against cold breath), Shield/Nightshield (against Magic Missile), True Seeing
- In the Illusionarium, when you kill the Marks of Shadow, any illusionary creatures still associated with that Mark will die and will be added to your kill count.
- If you quickly walk into the third hallway, True Seeing (with Video Post Effects on) will show you the correct Mark of Shadow to destroy once the original starts multiplying. The true Mark of Shadow will remain yellow, while the false marks will appear purple.
- If you use a ranged attack on the original mark in the third hallway before entering the trap activation zone, all the marks will be yellow, but just destroying the mark nearest to the entrance will suffice.
- The Illusionary Fire Giant in the last biome will be healed by the surrounding Marks; however, it's possible to kill him without dealing with the Marks (and their associated guardians). A field will go up between the final corridor and the biome; you can freely pass through it, but weapons, magic, and Illusions cannot. You can use this to your advantage against the giant, running forward, getting in a few whacks, and then back to safety while he swings.
- Going counter-clockwise around the final biome from the entrance, the Marks will be guarded by (effects happen upon hit and climbing on pedestal):
- Illusionary Chain(Movement and attack speed reduced; cannot tumble); Will Save to resist:
- Normal - 18:Failure; 20:Success
- Hard - 20
- Illusionary Winter Wolves
- Illusionary Spikes
- Illusionary Lions
- Illusionary Chain(Movement and attack speed reduced; cannot tumble); Will Save to resist:
- Don't feel obliged to hit the shrine in the Illusionarium before you move to the Chapterhouse - you can return if need be.
- Activating all 6 runes in the Chapterhouse disables the hallway intrusion trap temporarily. That would be the two spawns in the next room (archway and near the statue) and the spike trap. It does not disable the guards in the Chapterhouse. The higher the difficulty, the higher the stat checks for the runes.
- The illusionary spike trap after the sculpture and the large runed intrusion trap (before the large room with the model illusions) can be mostly or all avoided. You can travel along the edge of the room to avoid most damage and find safe spots to heal. Jumping from pillar base to pillar base will avoid all damage.
- You can avoid most of the Chapterhouse guards by jumping up to the upper balcony in the theater, and traveling from there to the back of the museum. Approx. 25 jump required to get up to the upper tier.
- If you do need to return to the Chapterhouse for the private rooms key, you can jump from display to display at the back of the museum until you get to the top in order to avoid spawning guards. Approx 25 jump required.
- You can sneak around Illusionary Guards in the main hall of the Chapterhouse to avoid activating them.
- You can avoid all Illusionary Guards by using the upper level through the theater with a jump of at least 13. Falling too close to the center of the room will cause the last set of guards to appear and the exit to be blocked until their death (like it would have been if you had gone through the lower level). Your summoned creatures will spawn the guards.
- Completing each recommended optional makes the end fight easier. Completing *all* recommended optionals avoids the end fight completely.
- You can complete all recommended optionals without going back to the Chapterhouse for the Jeweled Private Room Key (found in the Viceregal office) if you have lockpick / knock for the Private Rooms. Bluff skills are required to 'Talk your way past the guard'. If you just bull your way past him, he'll call *all* the tieflings in the Private Rooms to fight.
- In addition to bulling your way past him, the Tiefling guard will also call (any remaining) tieflings out of the rooms if you get to close to him as he waits for you in the bathroom. You should easily be able to go to the next door, and even fight in the hallway without alerting him, as long as you dont go much closer than the last door.
- Tieflings Migris and Malior d'Phiarlan can be discovered by Spot, True Seeing, Wisdom (26 Elite), or being a Paladin, however a decent Bluff or Intimidate skill will be needed to lure them to the Library. Migris' DCs are lower than Malior. Refer to the partycrasher's Skill DC article for numbers.
- You can Diplo the 'Brainwashed Guards' before luring Tiefling Malior d'Phiarlan into the library and they will leave, completing the optional. If you can't lure Migris/Malior into the library to kill him, bluffing the guards (whose check is lower) will keep them out of the final fight. However, they will still die, preventing you from completing the optional.
- Killing Tiefling Malior d'Phiarlan in the Library without killing any servants completes the 'Free the brainwashed guards without killing them' optional.
- Salvia d'Phiarlan's optional only requires you to go through the first set of Illusionary Guards from the large Mark of Shadow on the wall. 40 Jump can circumvent the mark; takes several jumps to do.
- Puzzle Wheel - Thaddeus Hitchstone gives you Stage Notes when you agree to investigate the stage. It lists the order of the scenes and matching backdrops. Refer to the Stage Notes article for details and solutions. Note that the dial is at the BOTTOM of the wheel.
- The shrines in the Private Rooms are... toilet paper rolls in the two bathroom stalls.
- The key to the Contraband Vault is in the chest with the final fight. Inkrakos is a much higher CR than the rest of the quest: 11 on Normal, 13 on Hard (decreased from 15, possibly after update 8), 17 on Elite, 24 on Epic Normal, 33 on Epic Hard. The loot in the two chests is also higher level. Inkrakos is an evil outsider; resistant to pierce, acid and cold; immune to fire.
- This quest is generally considered a friendly entry-level challenge for newcomers to epic questing.
- You can run back and forth between the Display Hall and the Theatre to trigger guards for farming scrolls.
- If you're solo don't lure the Servant and Guest to the Library at the same time, becomes a very tough fight.
- As with most quests the traps don't scale well so be very careful around them on Hard and Elite.
- Marks of Shadow have a reflex save (Lax Coding?)
- Aggression bonus: 95 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 124 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 152 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +8% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 3 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 64 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 78 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
External Links: CuriousGIS Quest Guide
- Chests: ♦ 10 / ♥ 12 / ♠ 13
- 1 at the end of the Illusionarium
- 1 optional for luring the Tiefling in servant guise out of the Ballroom and into the Library and killing her (found in the Library, requires a Spot or a Wisdom check or True Seeing or being a Paladin and then it requires another Bluff or an Intimidate check)
- 1 optional for luring the Tiefling disguised as a guest out of the Ballroom and into the Library and killing him (found in the Library, requires a Spot or a Wisdom check or True Seeing or being a Paladin and then it requires another Bluff or an Intimidate check)
- 1 locked in the Library (can also be opened by key, the key is in the Library behind a secret door)
- 1 optional for killing Deuce Darly (Elf, found under the stage in the Theatre after solving the Theatre Wheel Puzzle)
- 1 optional for returning Natt Gann's Urn to Drake Aramon
- 1 optional for returning the Illusionary Crystal to Salva d'Phiarlan
- ♦ 0 / ♥ 1 / ♠ 1 optional for killing the Tieflings in the Private Rooms
- ♦ 1 / ♥ 2 / ♠ 3 at the end
- 2 optional for killing Inkrakos (Red Abishai, found in the Contraband Vault, the key to the Vault can be obtained only after quest completion)
- Collectables: 34
- Various Spore Pods and Mushrooms
- Flowering Plants (Same as Tangleroot Gorge and Ren Fens collectables)
- Lightning-Split Soarwood can drop in the private rooms upstairs.
- In the Illusionarium (9 total)
- Flowering Plant in the second corridor, on the left
- Mushroom in the corner of the second corridor
- Two mushrooms in the third biome, beneath the ramps
- Mushroom in the third corridor, on the right
- Flowering Plant in the third corridor, on the left
- Flowering Plant in fourth corridor, in the planted display
- Alchemy Table in fourth corridor, behind souvenir display
- Flowering Plant in fifth corridor, in the planted display
- In the Chapterhouse (9 total)
- Bookshelf in northwest corridor, in southwest corner
- Bookshelf near the runes
- Cabinet near the runes
- Cabinet in central-southern room
- Cabinet in Viceregal Office
- Alchemy Table in Viceregal Office
- Adventurer's Pack in Viceregal Office
- Rubble beneath the stage
- Cabinet in the upper level of the Display Hall, on the west end
- In the Ballroom (16 total)
- Six Flowering Plants on the upper level around the main room
- Two Flowering Plants in the hallway of the Private Rooms
- Cabinet in first room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Adventurer's Pack in first room on right in the Private Rooms
- Bookshelf in second room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Cabinet in third room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Adventurer's Pack in third room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Alchemy Table in first room on the left in the Private Rooms
- Bookshelf in first room on the left in the Private Rooms
- Bookshelf in the Side Hall
- NPC rewards: Standard items, 8 choices
Named Chest Drop
All items are Bound to Account on Acquire
- Mask of Tragedy - Helm: Wisdom +1, Nullification +42, Crushing Despair (ML:5, Exclusive) (Theater chest, Private Rooms chest)
- Phiarlan Mirror Cloak - Cloak: Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Spell Resistance (17) (ML:3) (Private Rooms chest, End chest)
- Phiarlan Spy Dagger - +2 Dagger: Acid, Deception (ML:4) (Private Rooms chest, Salva d'Phiarlan's chest)
- Shimmering Pendant - Necklace: Charisma +2, Diplomacy +5 (ML:3) (Drake Aramon chest in ballroom, Private Rooms chest)
- Illusionary Giant - red-named on epic
- Illusionary Guards - Illusionary Elves - some will be melee, some will be casters.
- Illusionary Guides - Illusionary Elves
- Illusionary Lions
- Illusionary Scorpion - orange-named on epic
- Illusionary Sprites
- Illusionary Wolves (have the appearance of winter wolves, but are neither resistant to cold nor vulnerable to fire)
- Malefic Firebreathers
- Malefic Illusionists - tiefling casters
- Malefic Knife Throwers - tieflings
- Malefic Seers - Tiefling casters
- Malefic Strongmen - tieflings
- Mark of Shadow - Floating runes. No defense or attack (though they do have DR 1/Adamantine)
- Phiarlan Retainer
- Bolal <Malefic Warmaster> - Optional red-named tiefling
- Dariel <Malefic Spellmaster> - Orange-named tiefling wizard (Malior d'Phiarlan); you only have to fight him if you fail to deal with all the other Tieflings
- Deuce Darly <Stagehand> - Optional red-named elf
- Illusionary Guide - Orange-named elf
- Inkrakos - Optional red-named Red abishai
- Lokael - Optional red-named tiefling, fought only if Bolal, Dariel and Migris are not dealt with before meeting the Viceroy
- Migris <Malefic Poisonmaster> - Optional orange-named tiefling cleric (Phiarlan retainer)
|Heroic DC table|
|Epic DC table|