In The Flesh
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Requires access to : Harbinger of Madness|
The Stormreach Chronicle has traced the Mastermind behind the Taken to this recently renovated Harbor property. It's time for you to stop the creation of these abominations once and for all.
|In The Flesh|
|Takes place in:||Harborview Lofts|
|Bestowed by:||Hector Hyssop|
|NPC contact:||Hector Hyssop|
|Quest acquired in:||The Harbor|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
According to Hector, the mastermind behind the Taken is hiding out in a rented loft in the Harbor. Enter the Harborview Lofts to confront this sinister figure.
- This is Part 4 of Harbinger of Madness.
- Find the Mind Flayer, Yaulthoon
- Survive the artistic onslaught
- Send Pykzyl to his grave
- Access Yaulthoon's Private Wing
- Obtain the crest for the Private Wing
- Survive this season's latest fleshcrafted fashions
- (Optional) Put the Taken creations out of their misery - 40 total +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Put more Taken out of their misery - 60 total +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Attack and Destroy the dead Pykzyl +15% Bonus. (bonus chest)
- (Rare Optional) Kill the Sculpted Hound +10% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (several fixed, 1 random and 1 that appears only on elite difficulty)
- Chaos orbs (optional)
- Puzzle (optional: puzzle wheels)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Blade traps past the secret underwater door leading to the puzzle room; control box is on the west wall between the second and third set. Can be timed.
- Spinning blade traps in front of Dead Pyxzyl's door; control box is on the west wall before the door. May not always appear.
- Air traps on the pillars behind the western secret door; control boxes (two) are on the walls by the northern pillars. Only on Elite.
Tips and Misc
- Recommended buffs at all times:
- Acid Resistance
- Blur or Displacement
- Greater Heroism
- Most of this quest involves mass numbers of Taken and Renders being thrown at you in melee fights with few surprises. Be aware that the final battle involves respawning Beholders, so it may be difficult to maintain buffs.
- Freedom of Movement does NOT block the Sticky effect.
- In the Atrium, several Taken will be on display behind glass along the walls. They may break out behind you, so listen for the sound of breaking glass and turn around. Summoned Bearded Devils can teleport behind the glass to fight them.
- You must "entertain" the patrons (Taken) of the Hall of the Absurd for 6 waves before Pyzkzyl, a Chaos Beholder, will enter the room. He does not use Anti-Magic Cone, but he CAN instant kill you with Prismatic Spray if he gets lucky, so bring him down fast!
- Yaulthoon is invulnerable to all damage so long as his visual kinetic armor buff Intellect Fortress is in place. To debuff him, stand behind the cocoons as he's doing his normal ranged attacks (white swirls); the cocoons will burst open, spawning a monster, but when enough are blasted, he'll be stunned, making him vulnerable to attack. Additionally, anyone near one of the smashed cocoons will gain HP and SP!
- Yaulthoon frequently casts Hold Monster on party members. Freedom of Movement is highly recommended for the end fight.
- Yaulthoon's ranged blast is chaotic-aligned and deals evil damage to good-aligned characters.
- Yaulthoon periodically fires multiple Mind Thrust beams that deal force damage and can be fully Will-saved against; however, this requires several successive saves.
- Note that just before the mind-thrust attack starts, 3 breakables (fleshy pods) appears next to Yaulthoon - destroy these to stun Yaulthoon and prevent the attack.
- Yaulthoon, being a Mind Flayer, has, independent of his Intellect Fortress buff, a DR of 10/Byeshk (15 on hard/elite) to overcome.
- If the entire party dies in the final room, you will be transported to the entrance. Unfortunately, you're still dead and there are no shrines near enough to get to.
- To get to the optional puzzle room, you must go through the plants on the south side of the Atrium into the water, and swim east then south (you'll turn into blank space on the map) and through a secret door. (Traps on the other side of the secret door on elite?) The door is underwater, so use a clicky/spell before entering the water if need be.
- West of the crest is another secret door. Behind the door is a pit - in the pit are chaos orbs. Y'know, those fun things that wander around Invaders! and Xorian Cipher? Fortunately, the pit comes equipped with pillars to jump across. Watch out, though, on elite - there's air jet traps on top of the pillars, with two trap boxes to disable them. There's a lever on the other side that activates force platforms on top of the pillars for those with less than stellar jump scores.
- Sculpted Hound may appear behind either secret door; if so, his chest will replace the appropriate chest.
- Now-dead Pyxzyl is undead...a Doomsphere. He is behind a door with a warning sign in the last hallway to Yaulthoon. Take heed of the warning of "Extreme Challenge": he's extremely tough. Bring your Ghost Touch weapons and spell-absorption gear. Soloing tip: Clear the way to shrine in the north before fighting Pyxzyl in the doorway; this gives just enough running time to get to the res shrine if fight goes poorly.
- As of update 29, all Taken killed before the end fight count towards the optional.
Lights and Wheels puzzle
- This random puzzle has a request consisting of a number of lights around a symbol and to the right of that, the number of wheels to be used. To use a wheel means to set it to the symbol.
- There are six wheels in this room, and you must ensure that exactly the specified number of wheels are set to the given symbol.
- First wheel to the right: orange - three lights
- Second wheel to the right: purple - four lights
- Third wheel to the right: blue - one light
- First wheel to the left: cyan - no lights
- Second wheel to the left: green - two lights
- Third wheel to the left: red - five lights
- The total number of lights on the used wheels need to add up to the given number of lights.
- The wheel without lights counts towards to the total number of wheels used if the selected symbol matches the requested one.
In the picture you can see eight lights in total around the red shuriken symbol. To the right you see there are two wheels.
Thus you need to turn two wheels with a total value of eight lights, and set them to the red shuriken symbol (and no more, if others defaulted to the red shuriken symbol, be sure to change them to something else).
That means that in our case, turning the orange wheel with the three lights and the red wheel with the five lights to the red shuriken symbol would total eight lights. However we also have to turn the cyan wheel without lights because it was set to the red shuriken by default, and we want to exclude it from the number of wheels used. Therefore you must also change the setting (to anything else) on the wheel with no lights to complete the puzzle.
- Aggression bonus: 109 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 142 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 174 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 52-60 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 71-85 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 84-92 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Note the breakables value will increase during the boss fight, as he spawns 3 breakables at regular intervals near the end; you must destroy all 3 before they disappear to get it.
- Onslaught & Conquest require killing some respawns during the boss fight
- 1 behind a secret door for solving the wheels puzzle
- 1 behind a secret door in the central section of the map
- Note that the Sculpted Hound may appear behind either secret door, in which case his chest would supersede the relevant lockbox.
- 1 for killing Pykzyl (Chaos Beholder)
- 1 optional for killing Dead Pykzyl (Undead Beholder)
- at the end for killing Yaulthoon (Mind Flayer, on elite one of the chests can drop the Mindfury Symbiont)
- Collectables: Four
- Mold in the water under the puzzle wheel room
- Cabinet in the display case with Pykzyl's chest
- Cabinet behind the secret door to the west
- Bookshelf in Dead Pykzyl's room
- NPC rewards: Random ML 9-13 items, choose from 8. Additionally, the chain end reward will be available if you complete the other quests in the chain.
Named Chest Drop
- Mindfury Symbiont - Trinket: - 3 Charges (Recharged/Day: 3), , , , [ML:15, BtC]
- Parasitic Breastplate - +5 Breastplate: [counts as Light Armor, Armor Bonus 10, Max DexBonus 8] Symbiotic Flexibility, Diehard, Trace of Madness, Symbiotic Backlash, [ML:14, BtA]
|Dead Pykzyl (view)||Undead||Beholder|
|Yaulthoon (view)||Aberration||Mind Flayer|
|Sculpted Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Greater Thaarak Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Mind Flayer Mage (view)||Aberration||Mind Flayer|
|Xorian Render (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|