The Spawn of Whisperdoom
Chittering sounds echo through the Kar-Thul caverns. Whisperdoom hungers still.
|The Spawn of Whisperdoom|
|Heroic XP:||♣2,112 ♦3,700 ♥3,880 ♠4,060|
|Takes place in:||Whisperdoom's Lair|
|NPC contact:||Eriephaus d'Phiarlan|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
You must venture into the spider-infested caverns of the Kar-Thul and slay Whisperdoom the spider. Kill her magically-empowered spawn as well, lest they soon pose a threat to Stormreach.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Lair: Find Whisperdoom
- Village: Slay Vortarg Kar-Thul
- Slay Whisperdoom
- Slay 7 Kar-Thul Enchanters
- Slay Whisperdoom's Daughters (5 total)
- (Optional) Slay 50 Spawn of Whisperdoom - (20% base XP)
- (Optional) Vanquish the Kar-Thul Tribe (40) - (13% base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Darak Kar-Thul - (6% base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Aeducan Gobban - (19% base XP)
- (Optional) Slay Nurag Kar-Thul - (6% base XP)
- (Optional) Acquire Splinterskull Battle Standard- (7% base XP)
- (Optional) Acquire Splinterskull Historical Documents - (7% base XP)
- (Optional) Acquire Silver Goblet - (7% base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (random)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (optional: 3 items)
Sonic at entrance to village spikes in middle sections and blades near the end. These traps appear randomly
Tips and Misc
- When you start this quest you'll zone into a Jungle Clearing. There are several monsters you'll encounter in the clearing, but the entrance to the main quest is roughly to the NNE. There is a rest shrine right outside the quest entrance, so any SP/HP lost fighting the monsters while you get there are easily recovered. You can also just run past the monsters and take some hits, but why bother when you can just fight them and then rest up. (Optional: Dispatch all Kar-Thul sentries - 18 total (500XP))
Inside the dungeon itself there will be a locked door blocked by a force barrier on the left at the first intersection. Turn right at this intersection, then go south at the next to enter the Village. There are multiple random traps located in the village, usually on doorways and in the corridor on the right just before the shrine. In the far south east room kill Vortarg Kar-Thul and loot the Silver Key from the chest. The key is used to unlock the locked door back near the entrance (or its twin that is in the Hatchery of the dungeon). Darak Kar-Thul can spawn in the village before the shrine.
Exiting back out of the Village to the north, you'll enter cobwebbed tunnels (the Hatchery). You need to explore through these and kill 5 of Whisperdoom's offspring and with 7 Kar-Thul Enchanters to drop both force barriers. Use the Silver Key to unlock either door, as opening one opens the other as well. This takes you into the Lair. Whisperdoom can be found anywhere inside the lair area wandering in search of the destroyers of her young. Aeducan Gobban can spawn inside the northeast secret door, next to the group of Shambling Corpses.
Whisperdoom is very tough to take down. She has fast healing and is hasted. She inflicts Burning Blood (1d8 acid damage and 1d8 fire damage every 2 seconds.) in addition to Horrid Wilting which does massive AoE damage based on difficulty. She also has damage reduction but is vulnerable to Searing Light and other similar spells, including Negative spells like Harm (works best for higher level casters) or Inflict wounds. The other spiders also have acid attacks, so acid resist/protection or gear with acid protection would be very helpful. She is a magical beast, so magical beast bane weapons are effective.
Two of the three trade-in item drops are behind secret doors most of the time. All of the items are randomly disbursed in the lair area, Battle-Standard can be in a locked chest (DC Normal: Fail:42, Success:45; DC Hard: Fail:43, Success 46.)
To reiterate, Acid resist is extremely helpful.
- Monster notes
- Kar-Thul enchanters will attempt to vanish when near death and will reappear usually behind the party.
- Spawn of Whisperdoom use Melf's Acid Arrow and huge amounts of webbing.
- The daughters are just bigger (more powerful) versions of the spawn.
- Aggression bonus: around 130 monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 164 monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 203 monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 traps disarmed +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 46 breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 60 breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 74 breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: One in Village that gives the Silver Key, One for killing Vortarg Kar-Thul, One in Hatchery, Two in Lair, One optional for slaying Darak Kar-Thul
- Collectables: Splinterskull Battle Standard, Splinterskull Historical Documents, Silver Goblet.
- NPC rewards: Standard, and in addition, 3 collector items that you turn in to the Ungarz Lieutenant (Tangleroot Artifact Collector) back in House P across from the caravan give you another list that might contain following rare named items:
- Darkfang Hunters
- Darkfang Spiders
- Kar-Thul Impalers
- Kar-Thul Mutts
- Kar-Thul Mystics
- Kar-Thul Warriors
- Shambling Corpses
- Spawn of Whisperdoom
- Aeducan Gobban - Optional orange-named human
- Darak Kar-Thul - Optional orange-named ogre magi rare
- Kar-Thul Enchanters - Orange-named ogre magi
- Nurag Kar-Thul - Optional orange-named ogre magi rare
- Vortarg Kar-Thul - Red-named ogre; required kill
- Whisperdoom's Daughters - Orange-named spiders
- Whisperdoom - Red-named spider; required kill