Caverns of Korromar
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Korromar was once a holy place to the giants of Old Xen'drik. Its caverns are tainted by ancient horrors not yet forgotten.
|Caverns of Korromar|
|Takes place in:||Caverns of Korromar|
|Bestowed by:||Ulfgar d'Kundarak|
|NPC contact:||Ulfgar d'Kundarak|
|Quest acquired in:||House Kundarak|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Ulfgar d'Kundarak hired you to investigate the downfall of House of Kundarak's excavation at Korromar and, if possible, to render the site safe for re-occupation. An unknown disaster struck the diggers and archaeologists who were exploring the giant ruins beneath the site, apparently killing them all, and now the outpost is overrun with undead. A small party of Kundarak rangers led by a dwarf named Axelrod is keeping watch over the fallen outpost. Speak with Axelrod to learn more about what you must do to set this evil right.
- Speak with Axelrod Gunnerson
- Find the entrance to the Korromar excavation
- Read the Daanvi Codex
- Restore the Flame of Turian (Kill 4 ice mephits)
- Place the Philosopher's Mirror
- Bless the water surrounding the altar
- Remove the curse from the altar
- Discover the evil within the dig site
- Kill the beholder R'zzix
- (Optional) Rid the courtyard of undead (Kill 25) +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free the trapped dwarf +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy the spectre Adorgar +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy the spectre Oglethorpe +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy the wight Agatha (rare) +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy the wight Brunhilde (rare) +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Search the southern dig site +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Search the western dig site +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Search the northern dig site +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Search the eastern dig site +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Rid the outskirts of undead (Kill 17) +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Rid the sewers of undead (Kill 8) +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Rid the sewers of glass spiders (Kill 4) +10% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (optional: 4 books)
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs: Acid Resistance, Fire Resistance, Deathward
- The majority of the XP from this quest actually comes from Optionals, many of which you can miss - so look out for them. The books are especially difficult to find since they are small and blend into the environment well.
- Book locations:
- South: On the ground in front of the first door down in the pit.
- East: On the ground in front of a stack of three (unbreakable) crates.
- West: At the end of a dead end passage with a rope (unclimbable) hanging down; bear left at the lake.
- North: On a table, back hard right after coming up from pit.
- As you enter one of dig sites, other party members lose you in auto map.
- Aggression bonus: 99 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 129 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 159 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 74 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 97 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 119 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 9 - 11
- 1 locked behind a secret door in the tunnel past the glass spiders (Lock DC)
- 1 atop of the broken aqueduct reachable from the wooden ramps in the dwarf camp (the key is contained in another chest found in the main courtyard)
- 1 for killing Adorgar the Grudgebearer (Spectre, found in the main courtyard)
- 1 rare for killing Agatha Anviliron (Wight Priest, found near the southern dig site)
- 1 rare for killing Brunhilde Firegout (Wight Priest, found near the northern dig site)
- 1 for killing Akuul (Flesh Render, found inside the southern dig site)
- 1 for killing Colvis Hammercrush (Wraith, found inside the western dig site)
- 1 for killing Oglethorpe the Prospector (Spectre, found inside the western dig site)
- 1 for killing Horus Hammercrush (Wraith, found inside the northern dig site)
- 1 for killing Serruul (Flesh Render, found inside the eastern dig site)
- 1 at the end for killing R'zzix the Beholder
- NPC rewards: Random Item
Named Chest Drop
- Aberrant Robe - Robe: , , , (R'zzix)
- Chill Shard - +3 Throwing dagger: , Returning, (Akuul)
- Disc of Enhancement - +4 Docent, , (Brunhilde Firegout)
- Grudgebearer's Plate - +3 Full plate: Command, (Adorgar the Grudgebearer)
- Mace of the Wraith - +3 Heavy mace: Ghost touch, , (Colvis Hammercrusher)
- Necklace of Contemplation - Necklace: , , [ML:1] (End Chest)
- Scarf of Warmth - Necklace: , (Oglethorpe The Prospector)
- Wraith's Skin - +3 Leather Armor: , , (Horus Hammercrush)
- Xoriat Forged Blade - +3 Longsword: , , [ML:6] (Serruul)
Lore, story and conversations
Following some conversation notes that explain some lore and backgrounds to what happened in the Caverns of Korromar, as well as the background stories to the named undead.
(Dungeon Master): Only two dwarves can be seen in the survivors' camp. Fortunately, Axelrod appears to be one of them.
(NPC): Axelrod Gunnerson
- Axelrod, This land is claimed by House Kundarak, stranger, and there's not a speck of dirt here for prospectors, squatters or freebooters. In fact, I can safely say that you'll find nothing here but death. You'd best leave at once.
- You, I have been sent here by Ulfgar d'Kundarak. Are you not in his service?
- Axelrod, Ulfgar sent you! Oh, Host be praised -- no offense if you follow the Silver Flame or some other faith, for I'm in no position to distinguish between rescuers. You are here to venture into the Korromar excavation?
- You, Yes. Ulfgar said it had fallen to evil.
- Axelrod, Aye, that was my finding. When the Korromar outpost stopped communicating with House Kundarak, my party was dispatched to investigate. The whole excavation has been overrun by undead! We could not learn more without exposing ourselves to grave danger, so we've been hanging back and waiting for reinforcements. And here you are.
- You tell Axelrod Gunnerson, Here I am. Let me pass, and I'll do what I can to untangle this disaster.
- Axelrod, Fare ye well in this terrible place. Speak with my compatriots to learn more about what you must do.
- Axelrod, Steel your will and press onward, <player>. The outpost gates are sealed, so you must make your way through the sewers below to gain entry. My companions might know more about the unfortunates who worked in the outpost before it was overrun.
(NPC): Snorri Stonebeard
- Snorri, The giants who lived in the ruins beneath Korromar were not the brutish barbarians that plague Xen'drik today. They belonged to the ancient race of giant-lords, and they counted great wizards and clerics among their number. It seems clear we meddled with something here which we do not understand....
- Snorri, We lost over a hundred souls when the outpost was overrun. Those monsters were once living, breathing dwarves of Kundarak. If you wish to show them mercy, then destroy them. Destroy them all.
- Snorri, Word is that Colvis -- or was it Horus? -- anyway, one of those two wrote several journals detailing the discoveries they made in Korromar. Maybe those journals hold clues as to what happened.
- Snorri, The branch bank in the Korromar outpost was meant to transfer artifacts to our major vaults in Stormreach and beyond. Our party was dispatched to investigate when the branch cut off communications. Might be something to investigate there.
(NPC): Tambur Ironclang
- Tambur, The Hammercrush brothers employed a sorceress named Brunhilde and a rogue named Agatha to craft traps throughout the city. These traps were deployed at night to hold back the undead. Doesn't seem to have worked, eh?
- Tambur, Oglethorpe was an expert prospector and appraiser of antiquities. He was a beast of a dwarf, too -- could've snapped me in half. Must've been hired to help Kundarak catalogue their finds. I never met anyone who spoke fondly of Oglethorpe, but I suppose he's dead now, so I'll speak no more about that.
- Tambur, We have seen pillars of flame rising from the outpost, so tall they seem to pierce the clouds. Other nights, a black chill descends our camp and our breath freezes in our throats. If I were not shamed by Axelrod's courage, I could not face these terrors.
- Tambur, We have held our vigil for too long. I do not care to relate the sounds we hear when the moon does not rise and the stars fail to shine. I will not betray my comrades by deserting -- but I tell you true, I do not wish to die here.
- Tambur, Adorgar was a fierce warrior and the leader of the outpost's guards. He swore he'd never give up a fight for his House or run from an enemy's challenge. I doubt not that he stayed true to his word.
(Dungeon Master): A lone dwarf huddles beside a small campfire ahead. He looks haggard and regards you warily.
(NPC): Olaf Stoutheart
- Olaf, You look alive. But are you? It has been so long since I have seen another living soul. I thought I might go mad. But you -- you are real.
- You, What happened here?
- Olaf, I arrived on a caravan from Stormreach weeks ago. Wasn't long before the veteran diggers told me about a magical disaster that happened before I got here. 'Negative energy,' the mages called it. Exploded out of the excavation and washed over everyone and everything here. They say it was terrible, like watching yourself die....
- You, You weren't exposed to that energy?
- Olaf, Nay, my caravan was the last to arrive. We watched as the rest of the workers, the ones who were exposed to the disaster, sickened and lost hope. When the undead started taking us in the night, we knew they were our former friends. Finally, the Hammercrush brothers rounded up the last able workers and sealed the outpost gates. We knew not whether they acted from madness or reason. But we were too scared to argue.
- You, How did you escape the outpost?
- Olaf, You can get in through the sewer entrance here. There's oozes and slimes down there -- maybe attracted by the same curse that destroyed our expedition, I don't know. After the Hammercrush brothers finished their work, they... well... I can't talk about it. They're dead now. The last few holdouts from my caravan fled into the sewers. Most were devoured by the slimes. In the end, just one other survivor made it out.
- You, Where is the other survivor?
- Olaf, She was badly hurt. She found a resting place not far from here where she said she'd be safe. I begged her to keep walking just a little further. I think she was in shock. But with the night coming on... I left her. I left her!
- You, Have you not returned to look for her?
- Olaf, Ach, there's no use. Later that night, there was a flash of light... a terrible scream... I heard her voice just once more, but it was horribly changed... why did she not stay with me? It's all wrong... all wrong....' You look into Olaf's tormented eyes and realize that he is on the brink of madness.'
- You, You must get away from here, Olaf. Your friends would want you to survive.
- Olaf, 'Olaf sighs and squares his shoulders. 'Yes. Life is better than death, after all. I will leave this place and never return—except in my nightmares, I dare say. May the Sovereign Host bless you. If you go into the outpost, you will face a horde of undead. Perhaps you can activate the outpost's traps and defenses against them... but I would not know how to do that. I was just a digger. That's all.
- You, Thank you for your help, Olaf. Now get yourself to safety!
(Dungeon Master): Olaf stumbles once as he sprints toward the gate and freedom. As he passes into the darkness, you lose sight of him.
Southern dig site
- (Say): Akuul says, I am a guardian of chaos; there will be no order here, only death.
- (Say): Akuul says, Slowly, you will weaken this form.
- (Say): Akuul says, Your efforts will never succeed.
- (Say): Akuul says, Flail all you will, pathetic creature, in the end I shall triumph.
- (Say): Akuul says, I shall not succumb to order. Let chaos reclaim me.
- (Dungeon Master): A brilliant light illuminates a heavy tome on a lectern. The lectern is spotless, as if recently and lovingly polished.
- (Say): You say, Order compels chaos and madness to be quelled and fall silent. So Daanvi compels Xoriat and its minions. Silence beings from beyond order.
- (Dungeon Master): As the words from the exposed page of the Daanvi Codex are spoken aloud, a sense of perfect order floods the area.
Western dig site
- (Say): Colvis Hammercrush says, We found the true source of power, come join us for eternity.
- (Say): Colvis Hammercrush says, How dare you raise your hand against me?
- (Say): Colvis Hammercrush says, You will learn to respect those with the power.
- (Say): Colvis Hammercrush says, I have earned my place in the hierarchy of Xoriat and you do not belong.
- (Say): Colvis Hammercrush says, No, my power, it is gone, why have I been forgotten?
- (Dungeon Master): You destroyed Oglethorpe the Prospector.
- (Dungeon Master): The Flame of Turian burns steadily once again. A feeling of peace spreads through the room.
Northern dig site
- (Dungeon Master): At the end of a long corridor, you see an enormous eye staring from the lid of an upright sarcophagus into an oddly-angled mirror.
- (Say): Horus Hammercrush says, The eyes, beware the eyes.
- (Say): Horus Hammercrush says, Strike me down. End my suffering.
- (Say): Horus Hammercrush says, My curse bore to me by my brother's hand.
- (Say): Horus Hammercrush says, Release at last. Blissful agony at an end, I am no more.
- (Dungeon Master): The Philosopher's Mirror has been angled so it perfectly reflects the face on the sarcophagus.
Eastern dig site
- (Dungeon Master): Korromar was once a holy place to the giants of Old Xen'drik. Its caverns are tainted by ancient horrors not yet forgotten.
- (Dungeon Master): A soft glow from behind a group of ancient pillars helps light the way through the tunnel.
- (Dungeon Master): A vision assails your mind in which a wizened giant pours crystal-clear water into ceremonial urns. The vision is intense and vivid, but it fades within moments.
- (Dungeon Master): Another vision invades your mind. The wizened giant blesses and anoints another at an altar while a host of acolytes chants softly. The vision quickly passes.
- (Dungeon Master): A final vision shows the wizened giant lying dead upon his own altar. Around him, the once-sanctified urns are overflowing with crimson blood. The horrific vision finally passes.
- (Dungeon Master): Jumbled visions of befouled water and a tainted altar flash through your mind.
- (Say): Serruul says, This altar belongs to the chaotic swirl of Xoriat, you shall not reclaim it.
- (Say): Serruul says, Your ephemeral lives are at their pitiful ends.
- (Say): Serruul says, Why strain against the inevitable, your flesh will fall away and leave only bones.
- (Say): Serruul says, In the end, you shall be food for maggots and worms.
- (Say): Serruul says, My undoing dooms you; chaos shall course through these halls evermore.
- (Dungeon Master): You have purified the water in the urn.
- (Dungeon Master): All the urns within the dig site are blessed, though the curse on the altar remains.
- (Dungeon Master): The Altar of Kali'lan reacts to your holy prayers with a invisible blast of negative energy! But the torrent of evil soon falters and fades, leaving only peace in its wake.
Central dig site
- (Dungeon Master): With a flip of the magical switch, the barrier into the great arena lowers...
- (Dungeon Master): The beholder seethes with ancient evil. This must surely be the bane that brought about the diggers’ doom.
- (Say): R'zzix the Beholder says, More entities to feast upon, approach vessels and let the madness consume your souls.
- (Say): R'zzix the Beholder says, Your resistance is inspiring. I shall make your torture last the breadth of eternal madness.
- (Say): R'zzix the Beholder says, Your efforts amuse me little flesh beast. Devouring your mind, body and soul will likely sate some of my thirst.
- (Say): R'zzix the Beholder says, You wish to bring about an end in me. Covet your wishes, for I am eternal.
- (Say): R'zzix the Beholder says, I shall stride forth again, from the mirror; his gaze, diminished, cannot hold me.
- (Dungeon Master): You killed R'zzix the beholder.