The Sane Asylum
|Requires access to adventure pack: Reign of Madness|
Xorian creatures have captured one of the Twelve's informants and are holding him prisoner in an asylum here in the Embers District.
|The Sane Asylum|
|Heroic XP:||♣2,810 ♦4,866 ♥5,050 ♠5,233|
|Takes place in:||The Embers Asylum|
|NPC contact:||Horace Neble|
|Quest acquired in:||The Tower of the Twelve|
|Free to Play:||No|
According to Horace Neble, Xorian creatures are infiltrating the city of Stormreach. The Twelve had an informant spying on the creatures, but now the informant has been captured and is being held in an insane asylum in the Embers District.
You must find and free the informant. Travel to the Marketplace and then look for the Embers Asylum.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Speak with Durk
- Gain entry into the asylum
- Find the source of madness
- End the daydream
- Confront the nightmare
- Challenge the reality
- Defeat Nurse Ratchet
- (Optional) Find all the secret daydream passages (9% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat The Right Eye (9% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat The Wrong Eye (9% of base XP)
- (Optional) Free the Mind Flayer by unraveling its prison (38% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Trap (fixed)
- Collapsible floors
- Puzzle (optional: semi-random tile puzzle)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- One fire trap that can be disarmed or avoided
Tips and Misc
- Altar of Insanity: This quest drops Brain Sample and Watcher's Eye.
- There are two ways to reach inside of the asylum - the side door involves less combat but passes a trap
- The central "square" of the map (that has the three drop points) is a bit of a maze which changes layout as you kill the nightmare, reality, and daydream (in that order).
- Excellent maps of the maze, with walkthrough and puzzle solution, here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/331249-The-Sane-Asylum-Map-Guide-and-Puzzle-Solution?p=3945017#post3945017
- There are two ways to free Fred (Yep, our beloved feat respec NPC) - either kill both the 'Right Eye' and 'Wrong Eye' beholders or else solve the puzzle.
- Once the puzzle is solved, the beholders disappear (unless they have been attacked before solving the puzzle)
- Once the beholders are killed, the puzzle disappears
- Thus if you want to get all the chests:
- Attack a beholder until he switches to the other type, so both are in your objectives list.
- Leave via the waypoint during the fight.
- Complete the puzzle.
- Head back, slay Nightmare again (respawns), which opens the way to the beholders again. Kill them before engaging the end boss.
- The beholders can be accessed by entering tunnels that are revealed by dropping floors when entering two of the cells after killing nightmare but before killing reality.
- Puzzle solutions:https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/325006-The-Sane-Asylum-Spoilers
- The puzzle is semi-random - at least five different solutions have been reported
- Solving the puzzle is required to get the Sustaining Symbiont. After solving the puzzle, ask Fred for a reward in order to get the chest
- Nurse Ratchet's special attack does more damage as her health drops (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/321550-Feedback-Quest-The-Sane-Asylum?p=3841386#post3841386)
- On elite the orderlies have many forms of crowd control, including mind blast, dominate, dancing ball and hold. Buff appropriately.
- Once Nurse Ratchet is dead, the party is teleported to the asylum reception and the asylum is locked.
- When grinding the quest for either the Shard of Xoriat or the Sustaining Symbiont, do NOT speak to Durk. You can get to both chests without actually completing this objective. Once you have looted the chests, simply recall out and reset the instance.
- Trivia: Nurse Ratchet is most likely a reference to Nurse Ratched, the sadistic nurse from the novel and movie One Flew Over the Cuckcoo's nest.
- Conquest bonus: 68 monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: Up to 4. All can be had in a single run if done correctly.
- Collectables: None
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
- Shard of Xoriat - Trinket: Exceptional Charisma +1, Summon Xoriat Horror, Enchantment Focus II [ML:15, BtA] (end chest)
- Sustaining Symbiont - Trinket: Greater False Life, Suppress Madness, Exceptional Constitution +1, Exceptional Fortification (10%) [ML:15, BtA] (Fred's chest)
- Daydream - Xorian Flenser
- Evil Eye
- Eye Horror
- Greater Evil Eye
- Male Patient
- Night Shift Orderly - Mind Flayers
- Nightmare - Xorian Reaver
- Odd Stormreach Citizens
- Reality - Xorian Render
- Shady Characters - Dwarves
- Suspicious Stormreach Guards - Humans
- The Receptionist - Orc