Slavers of the Shrieking Mines
The Shrieking Mines are named for the winds that howl through its narrow tunnels, sounding like the cries of some tormented soul.
|Requires access to : The Restless Isles|
|Slavers of the Shrieking Mines|
|Takes place in:||The Shrieking Mines|
|Bestowed by:||Opu the Elder|
|NPC contact:||Opu the Elder|
|Quest acquired in:||Restless Isles|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Opu the Elder reports that many of his warriors are now enslaved by a horrific race of creatures he calls 'the Shapeless Ones.' You must enter the Shrieking Mines and rescue the wildman captives, now forced to work for the Shapeless Ones and their ogre mage slavers.
- This quest is given by visiting Opu the Elder on his island in the Restless Isles. Those who have not been bestowed the quest will have to fight their way to the quest giver, while those who have (either by making the journey or by having the quest shared with them) can get to Opu (and very near the quest itself) by speaking to the Wildman guide to be found in the first passage.
- This quest gives the Shattered Sigil, one half of the Sigil of Dal Quor. The other is gained from Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan!.
- Slay the Ogre Magi to free their slaves (Kill 5)
- Kill Boss Durna
- Kill Boss Ur-Fal
- Kill Boss Tanka
- Kill Boss Gullo
- Kill Boss Uzaki
- Slay the mines' Overlords (Kill 3)
- Kill Overlord Imshysh
- Kill Overlord Ythrixid
- Kill Overlord Villixill
- (Failure) Kill no more than 10 miners
- (Optional) Defeat the Beholders (Kill 2) Heroic: +25% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill the Turncoats (Kill 40) Heroic: +25% Bonus.
- (Optional) Retrieve the artifact from the cache Heroic: +5% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed and random)
- Overlapping floors
- Quest failure (if more than 10 Wildman Miners are killed)
- Five Sonic-filled corridors. No control boxes, they are controlled by a Wildman Miner banging a gong - hit them once to stop (but killing them counts against the quest failure limit of 10!)
- Spike traps after the first iron gate
- Blade traps before Lord Villixill
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs:
- Acid for ogre magi
- Electricity for ogre magi
- Fire for ogre magi
- Sonic for traps
- Follow the dungeon. Going downwards is easiest - unless, of course, you fall off. At the central pit, going west first might be easiest, and will lead you back a bit lower where you can continue down.
- There is (only?) one ledge with 2 ladders leading up - going up the taller (the one you didn't come down) will lead to a northern tunnel (and a quest objective).
- Before you start killing stuff, remind your party members that killing 11 Wildman Miners results in quest failure. Watch your opponents - - kill the wildmen in BLUE, who are called "Wildman Turncoats"; do NOT kill the wildmen in WHITE, who are called "Wildman Miners".
- Some means of crowd control can be handy here, and area of effect weapons (such as 2-handed weapons) and spells (such as Wall of Fire or Electric Loop) are a bad plan, as are any inaccurate ranged attacks.
- Concentrate on killing the ogres controlling a group of Wildman Miners. Once all nearby ogres are dead, a group of Wildman Miners will turn to "friends" and you will no longer be able to kill them. That group will disappear quickly after becoming friendly.
- In many places, it is simple to lure the ogres away from the miners. The miners are usually only alerted when party members come close to them, and they are not alerted when the ogre brutes notice the party. There may be some exceptions where the ogre magi explicitly call the miners to fight for them, and there are some places where you cannot see all of the ogre brutes without walking close to some of the miners.
- There are sonic traps that are operated by a Wildman Miner banging a gong. If you have a caster in your group, you can cast Flesh to Stone on them and they'll stop banging the gong; however, they usually eventually save even if you cast Enervation or Energy Drain. You might find it easier to kill them, if you can be sure you won't kill too many other miners - there are around five sonic traps.
- When you get to the central caverns, there are ogres all over the place, who really like their ranged weapons.
- There are two beholders (in separate locations) near the one and only shrine.
- Aggression bonus: 100 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 124 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 152 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 90 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 117 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 144 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Three
- 1 locked with 3 ogres
- 1 in Lord Villixill's room
- 1 in Lord Ythrixid's room
- Collectables: Eight
- Bookshelf to the west in the north-south hallway
- Rubble in Boss Tanka's chamber
- Rubble in the shaft, to the northeast
- Adventurer's Pack at the bottom of the ladder, in the northwest
- Bookshelf in Lord Villixill's chamber
- Crude Altar in Boss Uzaki's chamber
- Adventurer's Pack west of Boss Ur-Fal
- Adventurer's Pack on the way to Boss Gullo's chamber
- There is also the Horrid Golden Figurine in Lord Ythrixid's chamber, in the back.
- NPC rewards: A Shattered Sigil and your choice from 8-10 items (around level 10-12) or Mystical Vessel (previously used in Cannith Crafting but rendered useless in Update 32)
Named Chest Drop
- Resonant Guard Suit - +5 Light Armor: , , ,
- Ring of Resonance - Ring: , , (Locked chest)
- Ring of the Ancestors - Ring: — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1), Required Alignment: Good (No UMD DC) (Lord Ythrixid)
- Shrieking Star - +4 Morningstar [1d10]: Glass, , , (Locked chest)
|Lord Imshysh (view)||Aberration||Mind Flayer|
|Lord Villixill (view)||Aberration||Mind Flayer|
|Lord Ythrixid (view)||Aberration||Mind Flayer|
|Boss Durna (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Boss Gullo (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Boss Tanka (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Boss Ur-Fal (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Boss Uzaki (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Ogre Brute (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Wildman Miner (NoPic)||Monstrous Humanoid||Wildman|
|Wildman Turncoat (view)||Monstrous Humanoid||Wildman|