|Check out the new Discord server for all DDO players! Follow to the chat!|
Running with the Devils
|Requires access to : The Vale of Twilight|
A section of eladrin have settled into a stronghold located beneath the Vale of Twilight, away from their brethren in Meridia. What purpose does this detachment serve?
|Running with the Devils|
|Takes place in:||Eladrin Stronghold|
|Bestowed by:||Grechin Nalberto|
|NPC contact:||Grechin Nalberto|
|Quest acquired in:||The Vale of Twilight|
|Free to Play:||No|
A curious looking tree stump has led you into the eladrin stronghold. Why have the eladrin set up a base of operations in this part of the Vale? Explore the stronghold to find out why and seek out additional information about the missing Twelve members.
- Reaching the Eladrin Stronghold automatically bestows quest.
- Explore the Eladrin Stronghold
- Speak with Syloth Sayvon
- Breach the door
- Slay Palin Valance
- Lower the bridge
- Slay Taeron Rimond
- Rescue Tolarn Rhawn
- Slay the devil party
- (Optional) Find the source of the invasion (40% of base XP)
- (Slay Nosrat, Devil -- closes portal upon death)
Tips and Misc
- Instant death works well here, but be forewarned that Ghaele Cleric Eladrin will cast Death Ward upon themselves, and its nearby allies.
- The enemy types featured in this quest are Chaotic Outsiders extraplanars and subject to Banishing weapons.
- Bralani Eladrin are vulnerable to Cold Iron. They are also Good-aligned, making any weapons with Good-alignment ineffective.
- Target Clerics first, as they have the ability to heal their nearby allies.
- One useful tactic for the end fight is to have one party member climb the stairs and talk to Tolarn, while the others wait off to the right hand side beyond the stairs. Two of the orange-named devil party will spawn here, Faizi Larix (who can be energy drained and 'insta-killed') and one of the orthons who can be defeated in short order. This allows fighting only two Named first, then the remaining three in sequence, rather than all 5 at once.
- Have the party stand in the tunnel to the left of Tolarn, beyond some rubble.
- Have one character talk to Tolarn and rush back out of his room before the devils actually spawn.
- One devil will spawn near the party and aggro, and you can fight him alone.
- Then wait for the two Orthons to move into their own tunnels, and either pull the left one, or head into Tolarn's room and kill him.
- Proceed to kill what's left one by one.
- The devils will all spawn in their tunnels when you talk to Tolarn, then after a moment, they will all run to Tolarn. After a few moments in the center room with no aggro, they will run back to their individual tunnels with their backs to the main room. This allows you to easily confront them one by one in their spawn locations.
- Recommended Buffs: True Seeing, Fire Resistance, Electricity Resistance, Cold Resistance
- Conquest bonus: 95 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 19 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Several of the Vale quest names are references to song names from ~80s hard rock/heavy metal bands:
- "Running with the Devils" is the first track from Van Halen's 1978 "Van Halen" album.
- "Rainbow in the Dark" is a track and a single from Ronnie James Dio's 1982 "Holy Diver" album.
- "Let Sleeping Dust Lie" is a bit more obscure but most likely a reference to a track from Michael Schenker Group's 1981 album "MSG". The track is titled ""Let Sleeping Dogs Lie"
- Chests: 3 total, 1 for optional devil fight.
- NPC rewards: Standard, up to 15th level accessories, up to 14th level weapons and armor
- Ancient Elements of Air
- Ancient Elements of Earth
- Bearded Devils
- Bralani Sorcerers
- Ghaele Clerics
- Twilight Stalkers
- Bairger - Red-named orthon; required kill
- Faizi Larix - Orange-named tiefling
- Nishan - Red-named djinn; required kill
- Nosrat - Optional orange-named bearded devil; always spawns
- Odaka - Red-named bearded devil; required kill
- Palin Valance - Orange-named bralani; required kill
- Taeron Rimond - Red-named ghaele; required kill
- Tafzul - Red-named orthon; required kill
- Tolarn Rhawn - Red-named tiefling; end boss
- Wisam - Red-named djinn; required kill