Rainbow in the Dark
|Requires access to : The Vale of Twilight|
The Den of Obscurity is a dark, treacherous series of caverns largely untouched by man for thousands of years.
|Rainbow in the Dark|
|Takes place in:||Den of Obscurity|
|Bestowed by:||Walther Daedal|
|NPC contact:||Walther Daedal|
|Quest acquired in:||The Vale of Twilight|
|Free to Play:||No|
While exploring the Vale of Twilight, you happened on the Den of Obscurity. The underground lair will prove difficult to traverse due to its lack of light.
- Reaching the Den of Obscurity automatically bestows quest.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Pick up the illuminated sceptre
- Explore the Den of Obscurity
- Place scorpion crest in socket
- Solve the secret of the Rainbow
- Search the chamber for treasure
- Defeat the ancient guardian
- (Optional) Slay Memnezerez: (20% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (random, some undisarmable)
- Collapsible floors
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzles (mandatory: rainbow puzzle and optional: clock-like puzzle)
- Pike Traps (Like ones in the Reaver's Fate)
- Button in intersections summon fire elementals
- Trapped portal randomly before the shrine, can be disabled, otherwise you need to kill the elementals to be teleported back.
- Three traps on the way to the optional chest.
Tips and Misc
- Radiant Arc - +5 Scepter: Everbright, , Archmagi, Potency +56, , (Minimum level 14, Drops on Leaving Adventure)
- One player should equip the scepter, which will illuminate a short distance around them. The illumination persists even while dead, but if they release the scepter is dropped.
- Keep in mind that the item has minimum level requirement of 14 level.
- Cosmetic weapons block the illumination effect.
- Rainbow puzzle: With the door in front of you, starting on the left end: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. If you're colorblind, the buttons light up in the colors in this order from their "unlit" state...simply jump on each button til it is unlit if it's lit, then a number of times corresponding to its position in the row (1, 2, 3, etc) - some people get fancy by un-lighting all the buttons, then running down the row repeatedly, skipping one more button on each run, but this isn't necessary.
- Clock puzzle: The lever that makes the floor fall is random. Russian roulette, one mistake and you're falling onto lots of pointy things.
- Useful buffs
- acid resist
- electricity resist (for casters and gnoll arrows)
- fire resist (for gnolls' Cometfall and the end boss).
- Useful gear: Everbright (Rust Monsters), summoned repair shop.
- Other sources of light (can be used if the scepter wielder got separated from the party, to scout ahead, etc.)
- Summon Lantern Archon. This summons lights up the area, a great summon to have in this dungeon.
- Shadow Walk's alternate graphics rendering can be useful
- Some spells/wands
- Otto's Sphere of Dancing
- Fireball (for a quick burst of light)
- Have a caster grab the Radiant Arc and wield it. Go straight ahead slowly and kill stuff - the mobs you get depend on the instance but tend to be in small groups. Jump down the hole when you get to it, turn around and basically follow the path east back the way you've come - except you're on the lower level now. The path will curve to the south.
- When you get to the intersection, go left (east). Watch out for the button on the floor if there is one in your instance. A short way down the corridor, there is a three-way intersection. Turn right if you want to try for the "clock puzzle" chests, or fight your way down the rest of the corridor and get the Item:Crest of the Scorpion. Fight your back to the first intersection or cast Dimension Door and kill off the stuff that has respawned.
- When you get to the intersection again, go west. Fight your way down the corridor, put the crest in the door and eventually you'll get to a shrine. When you approach the shrine, you'll be teleported to a small room where you will need to kill four Fire Elementals. Once you've dispatched them, you'll be teleported back to the shrine.
- Continuing south past the shrine are a bunch of windlasher gnolls. Take them out and turn right (west). Keep going until you get to the silver key. There is a boarded up passage here - smash down the boards if you want to go for the optional beholder chest.
- Go back to the gnoll intersection. Turn right (south) and cross the pit.
- At the next intersection, either:
- Go right (west) if you have a rogue who can disable the traps. If you can't disable the traps, you will not be able to access the chest.
- Go left (east) towards the end of the quest. Complete the puzzle, park the Radiant Arc, buff yourselves senseless, defeat end boss Turun-Palo (red-named Fire Elemental, CR29 on elite) and loot the chest.
- Aggression bonus: ~140 (Hard: ~170, Elite: ~190) or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 (Hard/Elite: 7) or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Several of the Vale quest names are references to song names from ~80s hard rock/heavy metal bands:
- "Running with the Devils" is the first track from Van Halen's 1978 "Van Halen" album.
- "Rainbow in the Dark" is a track and a single from Ronnie James Dio's 1982 "Holy Diver" album.
- "Let Sleeping Dust Lie" is a bit more obscure but most likely a reference to a track from Michael Schenker Group's 1981 album "MSG". The track is titled "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie"
- "Turun Palo" is the Finnish name for the Great Fire of Turku.
- Chests: 5 possible
- NPC rewards: Random item (up to 15th level accessories, up to 14th level weapons and armor)
- Ancient Fire Elementals
- Ancient Stone Golems
- Bearded Devils
- Dense Stone Earth Elementals
- Elder Beholders
- Ferocious Rust Monsters
- Fiend-Blood Scorpions
- Fiend-Blood Troglodyte Rangers
- Fiend-Blood Troglodyte Stalkers
- Fiend-Blood Troglodyte Theurges
- Fiend-Blood Troglodyte Warmasters
- Fiend-Blood Trolls
- Fierce Rust Monsters
- Gelatinous Cubes
- Stone Scorpions
- Striped Twilight Hyenas
- Tormented Shadows
- Twilight Bats
- Windlasher Austeres
- Windlasher Conjurers
- Windlasher Evincers
- Windlasher Harbingers
- Windlasher Recluses
- Windlasher Savages
- Windlasher Typhoons
- Windlasher Veterans