Proof is in the Poison
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Thual Masmataz's apothecary is a front for his dark laboratory that produces his lethal cocktail.
|Proof is in the Poison|
|Takes place in:||Vile Apothecary|
|Bestowed by:||Ruat Acalay|
|NPC contact:||Ruat Acalay|
|Quest acquired in:||The Marketplace|
|Patron:||The Coin Lords|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Thual Masmataz has hatched a plan to poison the water supply of Stormreach. Hidden away in his laboratory beneath Stormreach, he has been experimenting to make the most potent poison possible. Stop the mad alchemist before he perfects his latest concoction and infects the water supply of Stormreach.
- Slay Thual Masmataz
- Gain Entry to the Gold Door
- Gain Entry to the Green door
- Gain Entry to the Silver Door
- Kill Hosha Sollego, Quickfoot leader
- Kill Oran Zatlo, Drow Overseer
- (Optional) Kill Gnaghi Ugnot +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill Woathe +25% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 40 members of the Quickfoot gang +30% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 100 members of the Quickfoot gang +40% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- You need a character or hireling with a Strength of 13-17 to break down one of the early doors. Alternatively, Fireball can be used to break it down. Knock spell or picking the lock also works.
- Many enemies cast Magic Missiles. Nightshield and Shield (spell) block them. Shield wands are sold in the Marketplace (UMD: 19, no ASF check).
- spinning blades, under the first bridge; box is in the middle of the floor
- Fire trap on the first bridge; box is at the end of the bridge
- Poison traps in the hallway after retrieving the gold key. There is no control box for these, and must be dodged.
- Poison traps in the hallway after retrieving the green key. There is no control box for these, and must be dodged.
Tips and Misc
- This is one of the most difficult quests in the game, if run level-appropriate. Make sure you are over-powered compared to any other level 4 mission. Lots of casters, lots of concealed enemies - never assume you have "cleared" an area.
- You'll probably want to go to the end of the bridge and disable the fire traps on the bridge before going down below to pull the lever. Do NOT pull the lower lever unless/until you are 100% sure no one is in danger on the bridge!
- There are enemy casters who use Melf's Acid Arrow as their main attack, and levers you need to pull that are protected by acid pools. Acid resist spells/items are a must.
- Watch out for slimes near the shrine if you're hurting badly when wanting to rest.
- Gnaghi Ugnot may appear in an alcove just past the first turn.
- Woathe may appear in the spider passage, to the north.
Basic Walkthrough (does not include exploring/clearing dead-ends of mobs or breakables)
- Combat will start once you move forward more than a little - buff up before anyone advances.
- Clear the initial ambush.
- Disable the fire trap on the bridge.
- Drop down and disable the trap under the bridge.
- Pull the lever on the wall below the bridge.
- Entire party cross the bridge.
- Your only open path is right; break down the door and go down the spider passage...
- When it splits, take the left hand branch, and break out through the end door.
- Go due south to the end of the north-south passage at the "locked door". (Note the 2 crystal-locked doors/gates to your right/west as you proceed.)
- Turn east and then north, and pull the red gem switch behind the gate alcove.
- Go back into the main corridor and return north...
- Turn west through the red gem-locked gate that is now open.
- Pull the orange gem lever.
- Go back into the main corridor and north, and west through the orange gem-locked gate that is now open.
- At the double-stairs...
- First take the northern path; wind your way to the end to get the gold key (mind the acid sprays).
- Go back to the double stairs, and continue south through the gold-key door, to the "western" acid room.
- Cross to the eastern door, either by jumping, or jump up to use the thin ledge and walkway starting on the right-hand wall and going around.
- To the Altar room...
- Go down one flight of stairs to the altar level (mind the acid pool!), and north up the other stairs; follow that hall to the end to get the green key.
- Go back past the (only!) altar and continue southeast, and through the green door (at the first intersection) to the "south-west" acid room.
- Climb the broken stairs and pipes, and turn the green valve near the top.
- Continue east(ish) to the next ("southern") acid room; jump across to throw the green switch on the wall. (Some partial barriers will drop, making your return more "interesting".)
- Continue east then north, and pull the green gem switch at the end of the corridor.
- On to the end fight...
- Go back, and take the first right, a newly opened door, leading northwest toward the middle of the map.
- Pull the lever at the end of that passage.
- Go back north through the newly opened door, get the silver key and pull the switch to go through the gate there.
- Go south (you've been north) to your first chest
- Continue west (optional: pick/knock the locked door for another chest)
- Follow the path north and down to the end fight.
- Aggression bonus: 116 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 151 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 185 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 167 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 217 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 267 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 1 for killing Hosha Sollego (Human)
- 1 behind a locked door after the silver door
- 1 at the end for killing Thual Masmataz (Drow Scorpion)
- NPC rewards: Random item