|Takes place in:||Sleeping Spell Inn|
|Bestowed by:||Merla Bauerdatter|
|NPC contact:||Merla Bauerdatter|
|Quest acquired in:||The Twelve|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Merla Bauerdatter's tavern is overrun with monsters from the Plane of madness! She and a few others escaped, but many of her guests are still trapped inside.
Merla has asked you to rescue her patrons and find a way to close the portal to Xoriat. The 'Sleeping Spell Inn' is located just outside of the Twelve.
- Rescue the servants and guests
- Find the Xoriat portal
- Defeat Knizzlenak
- (Optional) Win the beholder drinking contest +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay the Thaarak pack leader, Ruul +30% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Puzzle (mandatory: tile puzzle)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs:
- Resist acid, electricity, fire, sonic, Death block is very handy as young beholders like to hit you with finger first even on casual
- Go upstairs, talk to Quixxellops the beholder in front of the bar and enter the drinking game with the beholders. Drink the Xorian Cider on the right side of the bar as fast as you can. If you win the contest, Mickey the bartender will give you the key. If you lose the contest, you have to fight the beholders. Grab the key.
- Healer hirelings may attempt to heal the beholders, as they are NPC's. If you think you might lose the contest, you should set them to passive.
- Hirelings may also help you drink - order them to interact with the Xorian Cider
- N.B.: during one run, the party was sneaking, Quixxellops died on its own due to too much drinking without any fighting, the Boozers were untargetable and didn't attack even after the party broke sneaking, but Mickey was still frozen with fear and wouldn't give the key, and so the party was stuck. It's likely the party must kill or at least engage Quixxellops.
- Open the door to the guest room near the beholders. The first door on your right has a room behind the mirror; there is a key in it that opens a chest on the ground floor in the secret room. Wait until later in the quest to get the key from the mirror, as it can only be entered in madness mode. If you drop the key due to death, you can only pick it up in madness mode again.
- Clear out the three unlocked rooms and rescue the guests. Whoever you save last out of Scratchy Cranshaw or Aldren the Traveller will leave a key to the library on the bed.
- Unlock the library. After clearing the room, go to the Rusty Kitchen Key in the corner. It flies away when you get near it but it can be ranged by spells or weapons, or killed if it is surrounded or cornered. Once you kill the key, it turns into Bahhurat (a flesh render - evil outsider). When Bahhurat is dead, the key returns to its original place. Grab it and loot the chest.
- Be prepared for a fight on the way downstairs with more renders and young beholders.
- The door to the Servants' area can be opened by gaining the aggro of the renders and standing in front of the door. They will bash it down. However, it seems to only be an empty room.
- Open the kitchen door and clear the room. Talk to the cook to let him go. Kill the food and grab the key from the bar.
- (Optional) The Meat Locker can be picked or knocked. Kill Ruul (Thaarak Hound) for a chest.
- Open the basement door to be greeted by a couple of young beholders and a lot of flesh renders. Kill them to progress. Pop the secret door and pull the lever to the chest under the stairs. Solve the puzzle to open the door.
- The shrine on the ground floor becomes unusable once you head down the stairs and approach the puzzle at the second shrine and go into madness mode, so use it before then if you want it.
- Move towards the second shrine. Before solving the puzzle and while in madness mode, go upstairs and back to the mirror near the bar. Go through the mirror and grab the key. Go back to the first shrine and open the secret door nearby - the key unlocks the chest. Go back to the basement, climb on top of the boxes and drop inside to gain access to the chest under the stairs.
- Solve the puzzle while killing the puzzle tiles as they come to life. One strategy to ensure getting conquest bonus is to farm floor tile puzzles before the boss instead of solving the puzzle quickly.
- Kill Knizzlenak, the elder beholder, to end the quest. He has an anti-magic cone like most beholders, but he will not use it while he's busy solving the puzzle. One strategy to make this fight easier is to cover the puzzle in firewalls or other similar AoE damage over time spells to kill all puzzle pieces instantly; this will cause Knizzlenak to stop fighting. Xorian Renders will continually spawn while Knizzlenak is still alive.
- Prevent Knizzlenak from solving the puzzle to keep him confused and unable to attack.
- Aggression bonus: 69 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 90 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 110 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 37 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 60 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 6
- 1 behind a secret room near the first shrine (opened by key only, you can get the key while in madness mode, it's behind a mirror in the first room on the right in the guest rooms wing)
- 1 upstairs in the library
- 1 under the basement stairs
- 1 optional for killing Ruul (Thaarak Hound, found behind a locked door in the Meat Locker)
- 1 in the stack of boxes in the room before Knizzlenak (only accessible while in madness mode, climb on top to see hole to drop into)
- 1 at the end for killing Knizzlenak (Beholder)
- Collectables: Multiple cabinets upstairs, more details to come.
- NPC rewards: Random item
- Bahhurat - Red-named xorian render; required kill
- Knizzlenak - Red-named chaos beholder; end boss
- Quixxellops - Red-named beholder; can only fight him if you lose the drinking contest
- Rusty Iron Kitchen Key - Named rust monster
- Ruul - Optional orange-named hellhound; always spawns
- Scratchy Cranshaw - Named human