Game mechanicsNewbie guideIn developmentDDO StoreIRC Chat


ChallengesClassesCollectablesCraftingEnhancementsEpic DestiniesFavor

FeatsGlossaryItemsMapsMonstersPlacesQuestsRacesSkillsSpells


Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!

Creature companion

From DDO wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Info.png Please help improve this page.
You can help by editing this page. For suggestions, please see the talk page, or embedded <!-- comments --> while editing this page.
Snow Panther Cub companion

Creature Companions, also known as Familiars or Pets, are little creatures following the character through dungeons and public areas. They can be summoned or dismissed at will and have no effect on game play. Creature Companions can be purchased through the DDO Store. Special Companions types can be obtained as prizes or through special means only (like pre-ordering the Menace of the Underdark Expansion).

Contents

[edit] Mechanics

  • All characters in the same server of a given player share the same "stable" of Companions.
  • A character may only have up to one active Companion at any point in time. Selecting another dismisses the first.
  • Creature Companions are available through "Certificate of Ownership" items. These items are usually unbound and can be auctioned and traded freely (exceptions are noted below). The actual ownership of the Creature Companion is only granted when the item is activated.
  • Companions are delivered with a set of tricks that can be activated to temporarily change the companion attitude (a Wolf Pup companion could howl, for example). Additional tricks can be purchased from the DDO Store.
    • Companion Tricks are bought from the DDO store, but can be auctioned and traded freely.
  • Companions can also receive cosmetic changes, like a Magician's Hat, colored collars, or leave a path of colored glittering dust in their trail.
    • Cosmetic changes to companions are bought from the DDO store, but can be auctioned and traded freely.
    • When used, the cosmetic item is added to the currently-summoned pet's inventory, where it can be selected (a pet can have no item equipped or a single item equipped at a time).
    • Pets cannot share the same item: you have to get a new copy of the item if you want to put it on another of your pets.
  • Companions can't be selected through the Focus Orb, have no hit point and are not affected in-game by any means. At the moment, they exist only for entertainment purpose.

[edit] Companion names

Upon activation, each Creature Companion has a generic name. The companion owner can change the creature name once for free (further changes must be made via a creature name change certificate purchased from the DDO Store).

  • The name must be a single word. People usually use mixed case strings ("MyNewCutePet") to circumvent this limitation.
  • Companion Names must follow usual naming rules for DDO (no profanity, etc.)
  • Hyphens, dashes, numbers, accented vowels, and underscores are not possible.
  • There is no exclusivity over Companion Names. Different people may use the same name for their companions, and several companions from a given player may share the same name.

[edit] Companions currently found in game

UAV means no longer available using normal means (excluding limited time store pets, which usually return).
BtC means the Ownership Certificate for this pet is Bound to Character on AcquireBound to Character on Acquire: This item is Bound to Character on Acquire, meaning it cannot be traded or auctioned (the pet itself is accessible by any character on the account on the server once the Ownership Certificate is used). All Ownership Certificates not so noted are unbound and can be traded or auctioned before use.

[edit] DDO Store

Companion Cost/Requirement Note
Permanent
Bats: (Fire and Poison) 295 TP each, 595 for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks).
Bear Cubs: (Brown and Panda) 395 TP each.
Beholderlings: (Frost and Classic) 495 TP each, 850 for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks).
Cranium Rats: (Black, Gray, and Purple) 195 TP each, 395 for the bundle.
Earth Elementals: (Gold and Stone) 395 TP each, 695 for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks).
Fire Elementals: (Pink and Classic Red/Orange) 395 TP each, 595 for the bundle (which includes 2 tricks).
Frogs: (Poison Dart, Pond, and Red-Eyed Tree) 295 TP each, 695 for the bundle (which includes 1 trick).
Gargoyles: (Granite, Magma, and Shadow) 495 TP each, 1,195 TP for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks). The granite gargoyle was also a gift for those who lost their pets temporarily (DDO Forums).
Gelatinous Cubelets (Cyan and Green) 395 TP each. Cyan also available in Heroic Otto's Irresistible Box when available. Green Gelatinous Cubelet Ownership Certificate is currently BtA instead of unbound which will be fixed.
Kobolds: (Blue, Green, and Red) 295 TP each, 595 for the bundle.
Water Elementals: (Lake, Sea, and Tropical) 195 TP each, 595 for the bundle (which includes 2 tricks).
Limited time - currently or permanently available
Parrots: (Crested Cockatoo, Blue and Gold Macaw, Military Macaw, Scarlet Macaw ) 395 TP each except Crested Cockatoo (currently 495) it is unknown if there is a bundle yet
Golems: (Bronze, Iron, and Steel) 395 TP each, 795 for the bundle.
Mephits: (Ice, Lightning, and Ooze) 350 TP each, 895 for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks).
Pseudodragon From 395 TP Creature Companion Mystery Basket 5% chance of getting it.
Renders: (Flame, Flesh, and Frost) 295 TP each, 595 for the bundle.
Rust Monsters: (Pink-Gray and normal red) 395 TP each, 695 for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks).
Scorpions: (Iridescent and Jeweled) 395 TP for the Jeweled, 295 for the Iridescent, 895 for the bundle (which includes 3 tricks).
Tressym (Desert Tressym, Eveningstar Tressym, Gray Tabby Tressym, Savanna Tressym, Tuxedo Tressym) 5 kinds from 395 TP Creature Companion Mystery Basket random which kind you get (95% chance will be a Tressym, 5% will be the Pseudodragon one), unbound.
Limited time - currently unavailable
Cyan Gelatinous Cubelet Heroic Otto's Irresistible Box, 4995 TP (Previously: Otto's Irresistible Box, 4995 TP). BtC, but box unbound so can be traded
Red Gelatinous Cubelet Epic Otto's Irresistible Box, 4995 TP (Previously: Bigby's Handy Box, 3995 TP). BtC, but box unbound so can be traded
Wraiths: (Forest and Gray) 295 TP each, 595 for the bundle (which includes 2 tricks).

[edit] DDO Market

Fiendish Scorpion (BtC): Starter Pack ($9.99) includes: 4 tricks, Catacombs Adventure Pack, BtA Permanent Cleric level 3 Hireling, 5 BtC Excellent Experience Elixirs, and 250 TP.

[edit] Special Events

Polar Bear Cub Midwinter Festival, 10,000 Motes of Winter. BtC, but motes unbound
Snow Panther Cub Use 3 Stones of Experience on others. UAV, currently has a bug where certificate is shown as BtC but is still able to be posted to the AH and might be tradeable
Snowy Owlbear Donating to Turbine's team for Movember (DDO Forums), given out at in-game events such as Cordovan's trivia events. Used in a similar fashion to the Winter Wolf Pup. Unbound.
Winter Wolf Pup Used by devs for various giveaways (PAX-East 2012/2013 booth, MyDDO lottery, etc.). Now available from Daily Dice Gold rare roll? (needs verification). BtC
Yellow Gelatinous Cubelet Refer 3 friends for the refer a friend program (now unavailable), now available if you like DDO on Facebook. BtC

[edit] Expansion pre-orders

MoTU:
Demonweb Spiderling Collectors, standard, and base editions UAV, BtC
Druid's Wolf Pup Collectors and standard editions UAV, BtC
Onyx Panther Cub Collectors edition UAV, BtC
Shadowfell Conspiracy:
Calico Tressym Pre-order bonus (Order expansion before August 19) BtC
Tawny Owlbear Pre-order bonus BtC
Tan-Stripe Pseudodragon Legendary upgrade Unbound

[edit] Monster Manual

Air Elemental Volume 4
Blue Fire Elemental Volume 3 1,600 Fire Elemental kills by your party on one server. BtC and automatically used when bestowed.
Chaos Beholderling Volume 3 1,600 Beholder kills by your party on one server. BtC?
Forest Spiderling Prologue 1,200 Spider kills and 80 types by your party on one server. BtC and automatically used when bestowed.
Fruit Bat Volume 1 3,500 Bat kills and 10 Bat types by your party on one server. BtC and automatically used when bestowed.
Grey-tipped Rust Monster Volume 1 3,500 Rust Monster kills and 20 types by your party on one server. BtC?
Obsidian Earth Elemental Volume 2 7,000 Earth Elemental kills and 24 types by your party on one server. BtC?
Violet Wraith Volume 2 7,000 Wraith kills and 30 types by your party on one server. BtC?

[edit] Daily Dice Gold Roll

Black-stripe Pseudodragon Chance from rolling 97-100 in addition to XP and ability tome reward at the same time. Unbound.
Storm Horns Owlbear
Toco Toucan

[edit] Via Gameplay

Spotted Wolf Pup 250 Purple Dragon Knight favor BtC
Violet Gelatinous Cube-let Caught in the Web and The Fall of Truth chest drop Any Difficulty. Very tiny chance compared to +5 Ability tomes. BtC
Tawny Lion cub 10,000 Mysterious Remnants BtA

[edit] See also

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Site navigation
Forums
Page Toolbox