A Relic of a Sovereign Past
|A Relic of a Sovereign Past|
|Takes place in:|| Black Anvil Mines,|
Black Anvil Forest,
|Bestowed by:||Sir Kinze MacDunnam|
|NPC contact:||Sir Kinze MacDunnam|
|Quest acquired in:||Temple of the Sovereign Host|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
The Sword of Redemption was a holy artifact forged by the dwarves of Ironroot Mountains during the Age of Monsters. Over time, the sword found its way into the possession of the Sovereign Host. After being lost for more than two hundred years, the Host has received information that the sword is now in the hands of the dwarves of the Black Anvil Mines. Go to the dwarven stronghold and retrieve Tesyus.
- Obtain the sword Tesyus
- Defeat the High Priest of the Dark Six, Edgan Nightforge
- Defeat the Clanwarden, Griel Nightforge
- Find a way to unlock the door
- Open the door at the end of the barracks
- Use the switch behind the altar
- Use the switch beneath the rune
- Speak to Dolgrim Nightforge
- (Optional) Obtain the sword through non-combative means Heroic: +45% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the duergar king, Dolgrim Nightforge Heroic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Dolgrim's guards (Kill 6) Heroic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Forge Master Daredin Heroic: +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill all the duergar summoners (Kill 8) Heroic: +15% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Quest item collection (optional: 15 Adamantine Ores)
- Poison spewing statues that sap large amounts of STR and poison damage if you are not careful (all boxes are beneath on those statues that spay poison).
Tips and Misc
- If you attempt to copy the Tesyus using a Mirror of Glamering, then you will lose both the sword and the cosmetic upon exiting this dungeon.
- One section of the caves allows you to collect adamantine ore. There are a total of 15 ore to collect, which can be used in Cannith Crafting to make construct bane shards, in the Stone of Change to harden items, or with a forge master to create several unique items:
- The key to enter this section is found in a randomly-placed chest in the northwest area. You can use 'q' to check for the chest without opening the doors there. It is not possible to simply pick the lock; you need the key.
- The levers in this section have to be manually targeted. The 'q' key will not highlight them. The "target" levers can also ONLY be opened with a ranged (or thrown) weapon. You cannot pull them with your hands, zap them with a wand. You can, however, shieldblock near a lever and use the duergar to trigger them while they try to hit you. Alternatively, one of the easiest ways (should you not have a ranged weapon in your inventory) is to use of one of the lumps of coal you will find lying around just before you get to this section of the map.
- Touch of Idiocy is effective in this quest. Due to the Duergar's low CHA score, ToI will render them helpless. The casters are especially vulnerable.
- is highly recommended for this quest. Duergar use Heavy Picks, which do quadruple damage on a Critical hit.
- Dimension Door can save a lot of time as there are no re-spawns and running back down each corridor after clearing to the end is time consuming.
Walkthrough (largely thanks to)
Get some fire resist and head on in. Clear the huge main chamber; be sure to get all the duergar summoners on the ledges to stop the flow of elementals and gain some optional XP (15% Base XP). You will need ranged weapons or spells for that (one ledge is unreachable for melee, and a second requires a high jump). Summoners also self-heal quickly; if you don't have enough ranged DPS, you can ignore this optional and simply run through the chamber, although they will stop self-healing after a certain point.
Now head back to where you came out of the entrance cave. Get some acid and lightning resist as well as fire, and Blindness Ward and Deathward can be important too. Take the first cave on your left (the southwest one). This is the church wing, filled with casters and death priests. Clear it out, defeat the main summoner, pull the lever on the pedestal and get some loot. Shrine up and head back to the main room (via foot or Dimension Door).
This time, take the second door on the left (northwest). This is the barracks. Either...
- a) Hack 'n' slash your way down the corridor.
- * Watch out, 'cause those duergar champions use Heavy Picks that have an x4 Critical multiplier.
- b) Sneak right down the center. Even in loud creaky armor you won’t disturb the bad guys behind the doors if you are in sneak mode.
If you want to go for the optional adamantine ore (see next section), you will need to search out the barracks for the silver key; the chest can be targeted through the door if you wish to skip most of the fighting. There is also a shrine benind the second door on the right, but it is guarded inside.
Either way, work your way to the bottom, pull the rune lever there, grab your chest and head back up.
- Optional next part: If you want to collect the ore, skip the next (north) hall with the blackguards and go to the silver key locked door (northeast), back to the mines. Kill the duergar and collect the 15 pieces of ore from the floor as you go - look closely, use q. Either split them up between those who want, or do a roll off for all. If you have enough pieces, you can trade them in for a special item with the smith in the back halls, or keep them and use them for Alchemical Adamantine Rituals to increase the hardness and durability of your items.
|Ore Each||15|| 7
d3 for last*
d18 - top 3 win*
d27 - top 3 win*
* Using formula (Number of Party members) * (Number of pieces of Ore) * 1.5
Last, head back to the blackguard hallway, the one due the north. Work your way up, disable the poison traps if you have a rogue. Without a trapper, stick close to the pillars that spit poison; the jets are high above your head. When you reach the top, you have another option. When you talk to the King, you are given all sorts of charisma based interactions. If you have a high Intimidate you will get one route, where a high Diplomacy or Bluff will get you another. One route is to fight the king and get one chest, the other is to fight six blackguard and get a different chest. ….Or, you could purposefully fail the check, kill both and get both chests.
- Updated notes on how to gain the optional XP:
- Bluff: 30 works on Elite (suboptimal result) - Fight the guards only (10% Base XP, one chest). Bluff 39 works on Hard, also Bluff 43 works on Elite; the King freely gives you the Tesyus and no fighting required (non-combative means bonus).
- Diplomacy: Hard: 32, Elite: 35 Success (suboptimal result) - Fight the King only (10% Base XP, one chest)
- Intimidate: Hard 34 = Success, Elite: 30 = Success. Acquires the optional XP for: Obtain the sword through non-combative means (45% Base XP). You get less treasure chests if you do this, but more experience points, making it often worth the trade off.
- Fail either or Choose to fight: Fight the King and the Guards: (10% +10% = 20% Base XP and two chests). Kill the guards first and the door to the second chest will open once the King dies.
Now grab Tesyus from the dais to complete the quest.
- In-quest item:
- Map notes:
- 1 - Key (found in a chest randomly placed in the west wing, unlocks the door to the east wing)
- 2 - Adamantine ore (15 pieces randomly placed in the east wing)
- 3 - Tesyus
- Use the first small map once you have done a 360 degrees run of the northern wing's ascending corridor and use the second small map after the second 360 degrees run.
- Aggression bonus: 97 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 127 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 156 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 8 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 10 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 12 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 111 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 145 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 178 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Up to 4
- 1 for defeating Edgan Nightforge
- 1 for defeating Griel Nightforge
- 1 possible if you kill King Dolgrim (at a cost of less total XP)
- 1 possible if you defeat Dolgrim's guards (at a cost of less total XP)
- Collectables: 4
- Adventurer's Pack in the central chamber, to the east
- Crude Altar in the southwest corridor, in the eastern chamber
- Bookshelf in the northwest corridor, in the third room to the south
- Rubble in the northeast corridor, in the western section of the second off-shoot
- NPC rewards: Random item
- Rewards from adamantine ore turn-in