The High Road
|Requires access to adventure pack: The High Road of Shadows|
The High Road leads west from Eveningstar, towards the Storm Horn mountains and the frontier of Cormyr itself.
- Heroic: level 18. Characters level 14 to 23 get full experience.
- Epic: level 24. Characters level 20 to 29 get full experience.
Unlike most explorer zones, the High Road have scattered around their zone some bear traps. They are randomly located and can be disabled as any normal traps. Just like the monsters around, the traps also can appear in places you already visited.
- Bear traps: DC 66-70
 Random Encounters
Note that the random encounters can spawn at any encounter spot, can respawn after completion, and can sometimes even spawn twice at the same time. Repeated encounters in the same instance will not reward XP, but will still give a chest if appropriate. Note: There is no XP penalty for repeat rare encounter completions.
- Wild Warriors - ♦500 ●1,500 XP
- Orc Intuition - ♦500 ●1,500 XP
- Rebels Underground, Part 1 - ♦300 ●900 XP
- Rebels Underground, Part 2 - ♦700 ●2,100 XP
- Shadow Summoners - ♦500 ●1,500 XP
- Trader Travels - ♦500 ●1,500 XP
- Tree Full of Spiders - ♦300 ●900 XP
- Wood Woad's Wrath - ♦428 ●900 XP
- Bandit King - ♦300 ●900 XP
- Frozen by Night - ♦??? ●1,500 XP
- Spectral Sightings - ♦300 ●900 XP
- Wild Brothers - ♦700 ●1,500 XP
- Spider of Unusual Size - ♦300 ●900 XP
XP per encounter: Varies
Bonus XP for solving all encounters: ♦6,825 ●20,475
Note: The whole area is random respawning slayers. There's usually no need to reset; it is possible to stay out for a long time and never run out of things to fight.
 Oriphaun's Journals on the High Road
- Find Oriphaun's first journal entry †
- I'm almost to Tyrluk, so I'll hide one of the scroll pieces there. Of course, I'm being watched, but I have a plan. I'll just stroll into the inn and give it to my old friend the bartender. What could be simpler?
- Find Oriphaun's second journal entry
- I gave one of the scroll pieces to Seamus for him to hide. Normally I wouldn't trust a soul with these, but Seamus is different. After all, he helped me find many of the best pieces in my collection. Besides, the old man is a hermit, and the things in that swamp will keep unwanted visitors away.
- Find Oriphaun's third journal entry
- My next destination is a crumbling castle near the river. Adventurers headed to the Stonelands use it as a camp site. People think the whole place is a ruin, but there are secret places, places that only I know. It's the perfect place to hide a scroll piece.
- Find Oriphaun's fourth journal entry
- The High Road has grown much more dangerous. The Purple Dragon Knights are off fighting the Drow, and now bandits walk the road openly. This is no doubt terrible for the locals, but it is convenient for me. The bandits will keep prying eyes away while I hide my prizes.
- Find Oriphaun's fifth journal entry
- I saw them again today - that's the third time. My life isn't worth a gold piece if I stay here. So off I go down High Road, back to where it started. I'll have to get rid the Nether Scroll. It's a shame; it's the pride of my collection. I'll tear it into pieces, and hide the pieces along the way I head west.
- Find Oriphaun's sixth journal entry
- Nothing clears the mind like travel. The sky above, the road ahead - it would all be very pleasant if they weren't trying to kill me. But what did I expect? There are people who would do anything to get just one of the Nether Scrolls. Anyone who takes one can expect danger to follow.
- Find Oriphaun's seventh journal entry †
- The Netherese have taken Granwell Keep and are using it as a base to search for me and the scroll pieces. So I'll hide the last scroll pieces and slip aways as quickly as possible. Now it's back to the mountains, back to where it all started. Maybe I'll find the answers there.
- Find Oriphaun's eighth journal entry
- I hid the first scroll piece near Greenweald Lane. I'd swear the piece was moving in my hand as I held it. Maybe that's to be expected, given the amount of magical power the scroll contains. But it was almost as if the scroll piece was trying to get away...
- Find Oriphaun's ninth journal entry
- It's hard to give this up. This is a Nether Scroll, after all. It was made when we humans were ignorant wretches living in caves, and it contains power beyond imagining. If I read all the Nether Scrolls, I'd be as powerful as a god - nay, I'd be a god! Of course, the scrolls would drive me mad long before I finished reading them.
- Find Oriphaun's tenth journal entry
- It's Netheril. They're using hired sellswords for the most part, but there's no mistaking those wizards. I didn't think they'd are be so bold inside the borders of Cormyr, but the war with the Drow has given Netheril the perfect opportunity.
- Find Oriphaun's eleventh journal entry
- It's funny - as soon as I became a Harper, I had to run from them. It's not their fight, though. I got myself into this, and I'll get myself out of it. Besides, there's no point dragging them into this. If I can only get back to where I found the scroll, then maybe... but there's no point getting ahead of myself. First I need to make it to the Stormhorns.
- Find Oriphaun's twelfth journal entry †
- Sometimes at night I think I hear something... a quiet voice, speaking in some long-dead ancient tongue. Could it be the scroll? I must be strong. I must not listen to it. I must not listen to the soft whispers in the dark.
XP per discovery: ♦525 XP ●1,575 XP
Bonus XP for discovering all: ♦1575 XP ●4,725 XP
† - Mouse-over for details
The following quests can be found in this zone:
- A Stay at the Inn
- Lost in the Swamp
- Rest Stop
- The End of the Road (Must complete the above 4 and be turned in to acquire this quest)
 Slayer: High Road Menaces
- Slay 10 menaces on the High Road: ♦765 XP ●2,295 XP
- Slay 25 menaces on the High Road: ♦1,032 XP ●3,096 XP (5,391 XP cumulative)
- Slay 50 menaces on the High Road: ♦1,395 XP ●5,445 XP (10,836 XP cumulative)
- Slay 100 menaces on the High Road: ♦2,047 XP ●8,290 XP (19,126 XP cumulative)
- Slay 200 menaces on the High Road: ♦3,240 XP ●13,439 XP (32,565 XP cumulative)
- Slay 400 menaces on the High Road: ♦5,580 XP ●20,970 XP (53,535 XP cumulative)
- Slay 750 menaces on the High Road: ♦9,270 XP ●34,560 XP (88,095 XP cumulative)
- Slay 1500 menaces on the High Road: ♦19,102 XP ●70,671 XP (158,766 XP cumulative)
- Slay 3000 menaces on the High Road: ♦? XP ●141,930 XP (300,696 XP cumulative)
- Slay 5000 menaces on the High Road: ♦? XP ●197,100 XP (497,796 XP cumulative)
- Slay 7500 menaces on the High Road: ♦? XP ●257,220 XP (755,016 XP cumulative)
Monsters in the zone not found on the rare encounters list.
 Native fauna
Killing native fauna here adds to your slayer count.
 Common Monsters
- Bandit Dastards
- Bandit Scouts
- Brush Creepers
- Netherese Summoners
- Netherese Wizards
- Pet Wolves
- Roving Wolves
- Sellsword Archers
- Sellsword Brutes
- Sellsword Footpads
- Sellsword Skirmishers
- Shadows (shadowfell)
- Summoned Shadows
- Umbral Gargoyles
- Umbral Rats
- Umbral Worgs
- Water Elementals
- Yuan-ti Abominations
- Yuan-ti Arcanists
- Yuan-ti Scouts