Taming the Flames
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Taming the Flames|
|Takes place in:||The Scorched Caverns|
|Bestowed by:||Master Thorpe|
|NPC contact:||Master Thorpe|
|Quest acquired in:||Ever Full Flagon|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Master Fulvio, a powerful but careless wizard, was trapped by fire elementals while exploring a cavern deep beneath Stormreach. His colleague Master Thorpe sent a Scroll of Planar Binding to help Fulvio finish his studies, but the courier carrying the scroll has vanished! Descend into the Scorching Cavern, find the missing Scroll of Planar Binding, and bring it safely to Master Fulvio.
- Search for Master Fulvio in the Scorched Cavern
- Kill the madman who stole the Scroll of Planar Binding
- Deliver the Scroll of Planar Binding to Master Fulvio
- Slay the madman's elemental army
- (Optional) Slay 50 fire elementals +75% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 15 Large Earth Elementals +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay the madman's mephits - 30 total +30% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (random)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Piercing Spikes (Random, Some only on hard/elite)
- Flame Jets
Tips and Misc
- Quick walk-through: Go south, get the key. Hit the lever in the main room. Head north, talk to Fulvio. Go east, get scroll. Now is a good time to farm elementals, just circle in the northern section for Conquest bonus and the elemental optional. Talk to Fulvio again to finish.
- Fire Protection/Resistance are an absolute must-have for this quest. (Resist 20 mitigates almost all fire damage on Normal; but not on Hard/Elite.)
- Frost weapons are nice to have. Blindness immunity helps to deal with the air mephits. (As of Update 5, Air Mephits cause a condition called Disorientation; this condition renders the character blind for a short duration, but still allows the player to see the screen through the "death fog.")
- There is only one Rest Shrine, inside Fulvio's prison. There is a Resurrection-only shrine not far from the madman's lair.
- The lever to open the East portal is on top of a rock ledge past the portal.
- A lot of fighting can be avoided by backtracking from Master Fulvio back to the main room along the path you cleared, rather than taking the whole circle (see map).
- Characters with Evasion will fare best here; this quest is well-known for challenging moderate to heavy-armored characters.
- Only one party member should run for the Jeweled Key, preferably with fire resist/protection and Evasion. The rest of the party should wait up top inside the archway to help kill the fire mephits that spawn after the key is picked up. When soloing, opening the chest with key can be tricky because you get constantly interrupted without good Evasion. Others in the party can eliminate or distract fire elementals in the room from a ranged position to slow fire attacks that interrupt opening the chest. (Easy way: Charm the elemental on top to grab aggro, go invisible and featherfall directly to chest, then ddoor out with the key.)
- You will be ambushed several times. Perhaps the biggest fight is when you open the door in the SW corner.
- Fire elementals that spawn over flame jets are generally immobile and will respawn after being killed, so it may be advisable to simply run past them if the group doesn't mind missing the optional objective. (The optional can be completed after the main objective to prevent a wipe.)
- Killing Summoned Fire Elementals does not count towards the primary goal of slaying the madman's elemental army. You must find the LARGE elementals to complete this goal.
- Aggression bonus: 80 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 104 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 128 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 10 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 13 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 16 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- 1 locked behind a locked door on the opposite side of the northern shrine (the door is opened by key only)
- 1 for killing the madman (Human Caster, found in the southeast cave)
- NPC rewards: Random +2/+3 items; choose from 8
|Calefax the Mad (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Greater Air Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Greater Fire Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Hell Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Large Earth Elemental (view)||Elemental||Earth Elemental|
|Large Fire Elemental (view)||Elemental||Fire Elemental|
|Summoned Fire Elemental (Fixed) (view)||Elemental||Fire Elemental|