Trial by Fury
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Lolth has entrusted an Orb to the Demon Lord Grulemith, who guards it deep within his labyrinthian domain.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|Trial by Fury|
|Takes place in:||The Domain of Lord Grulemith|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
The War Wizard Walak tells you that Lolth has given an arcane Orb to Grulemith, one of her Demon Lords. This Orb is being used to capture and suppress the power of the Thread of the Weave, who is being held captive by Lolth's.
If this Orb were stolen, it would disrupt Lolth's schemes, and possibly help the Thread of the Weave escape. Go to the Domain of Lord Grulemith inside the Demonweb and obtain the Orb by any means necessary.
* Speak to Grulemith
- Find and defeat Grulemith the Goristro
- Find the Golden Orb of Lolth behind Grulemith's Crucible
- (Optional) Trial of Wits: Get five Wisdom Jewels +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Trial of Might: Get five Strength Jewels +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Trial of Endurance: Get five Wisdom Jewels and five Strength Jewels +7% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Nilaphax, the Yugoloth Warden of Wisdom +2% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Maljuph, the Yugoloth Warden of Strength +2% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz +5% Bonus.
- May appear twice, once in the Abyss of Torment and again in The Nest of Corruption, spawns after killing all the spiders from the Fourth Trial of Might, no XP for the second time you kill it.
- Poison Spell Ward in the Theater of Pain
- Evil Spell ward in the Eyrie of Terror
- Poison Spell Wards in the Domain of Suffering
- Fire Spell Wards in the Abyss of Torment
Tips and Misc
- If you fall/jump off one of the islands or bridges, you will port to the start. Enemies may spawn when you do so, however.
- Don't forget to talk to Grulemith at the start or the quest will not complete until you go back and talk to him. You can jump off the side at the end as a shortcut to get back if you forgot.
- There are actually six of each trial.
- Puzzles for the test of wits are exactly the same as 3x3 Shroud puzzles. Use the lower buttons to light up, nine "red hands" on the upper console.
- Cubicalninja Shroud Solver
- They look as if they should be timed - after a bit, the console de-lights - but they aren't; you can keep going even after the lights go out, with no penalty.
- Trials of Might Jewels drop next to the Might lever (red patterned symbol on the floor) when the trial has been completed. The Trials of Wits (blue pattern) Jewels appear by the Console when the puzzle has been solved. The Jewels allow barriers to be dropped, when you click to open them.
- Trials of Might foes:
- Isle of Withering: A few spiders
- Haven of Malice: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of Yugoloth mercenaries
- Hollow of Destruction: A couple of dretches followed by a couple of renders
- Grotto of Hopelessness: A few spiders
- Nest of Corruption: Lots and lots and lots of spiders. And then more spiders. And then Dro'ahz.
- This Trial is much harder than any of the others, so be prepared. Fortunately, you can cheerfully skip and still get the optionals, especially if Cho'ahz spawned earlier in the quest.
- Sweep of Despair: A few spiders followed by a couple of draeglotha
- There are lots places that are not intuitive to reach, with a lot of potential extra chests.
- To get to the Haven of Malice and Cixsir without using a Jewel, find the acid waterfall near the base of the web ramps leading to the Eyrie of Terror. There's a gap in the wall at the back which you can jump through.
- Bug: Cixsir's chest only appears after his allies are slain, and he triggers it to be unlocked. Thus if you kill him before you kill his allies, it can not be unlocked. So be sure to kill the other Yugoloth near him before you kill him.
- Reasonably easy to solo on Epic Normal and Hard, on any class. Though it can take quite some time and resources to figure out for first timers as it is a huge quest with many optional paths and wrong turns.
- When you get to Defeat Maljuph and Nilaphaxd, the Yugoloth Wardens optional. You may notice a sealed door, in the area between the steps where the two Yogoloth appear, which only opens after defeating the final boss. There are also two Gravity switches close to the Yogoloth, you need to press one to open the area for the final Boss fight.
- To retrieve the Golden Orb, once the boss is dead just go back down to the area where the Yugoloth Wardens were posted. The previously sealed door will now be open, leading to the Orb, you'll need to fight a few mobs to get to the Golden Orb.
- The hidden Locked Chest near the end is roughly below the steps that lead to the Golden Orb (Open Lock DC of 81 is required on Epic Normal). The Level 20 or 20/4 Rogue Hireling can unlock it eventually if you can manage to get them to it. The 20/4 Rogue succeeds within a few attempts by using a Greater Heroism clicky on him and activating his "Showtime" ability on his hotbar.
- To get to that hidden Locked Chest near the end; go to the area with the narrow stone-paved bridge over an acid lake (where Driders were guarding the other side of the bridge). As you stand on the stone bridge turn around to face the way you originally came to the bridge (face north easterly). Travel north easterly from that bridge to that rock island's cliff edge; look down below, look down north westwards, and you should see a hidden web bridge lower down the rock face. The web bridge leads to bowl with a Locked chest within it, drop down to the "web bridge" to get to it. To get back up, turn around and go down the web bridge and keep going straight on. You'll see a series of rock ledges to jump up. Keep jumping up and you'll end up at the arch with the spiders' web on the island you had just climbed down from.
- Hirelings don't like the web bridges, and can freeze up and become completely useless until you can get them to teleport to your position.
- Aggression bonus: 117 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 165 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 18 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 23 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 28 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Conquest may not be possible.
- Chests: Seven
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Shufarix in the Theatre of Pain
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Cixsir in the Domain of Suffering
- One for completing (Optional) Defeat Tsirrik in the Eyrie of Terror. Locked, requires high DC (Lock DC)
- One for completing (Optional) Slay the Drider Guardian Cho'ahz
- One for Slaying Drider Guardian Cho'ahz (again) after the Fourth Trial of Might
- One locked chest down below, hidden near the Drider-guarded bridge. Locked, requires high DC (Lock DC)
- One end chest for defeating Grulemith the Goristro.
- Each chest has a 25%/50%/100% (EN/EH/EE) chance of 1 random commendation dropping.
- Most of these can drop unbound +3 or +4 tomes, but only on Epic Hard and Epic Elite respectively.
- Collectables: 6 (possibly more; there are many hidden areas in this quest)
- Bones in a hidden corner in the Theatre of Pain
- Adventurer's Pack in the Eyrie of Terror
- Bones behind a wall you need to jump over, just before the Hollow of Destruction
- Bones in the Sweep of Despair
- Adventurer's Pack near the pool of acid just before the end
- Bones to the right as you approach the Golden Orb
- NPC rewards: List of 10 random items, Potion of Major Mnemonic, chance at +3 Tomes
Named Chest Drop
- Hide of the Goristro - Light Armor (Total Armour Bonus 14, MDB 14): Random Ability Bonus ( , , , , , or ), , , , Random Tactics Bonus ( , , , or Tendon Slice 10%), Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights favor and 15 Commendation: Druids of the King's Forest adds [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Grulemith Chest, Bottom Chest)
- Planar Focus of Subterfuge - Trinket: Random Ability Bonus ( , , , , , or ), Set Bonus [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Grulemith Chest, Bottom Chest)
- Spidersilk Robes - Robe: Random Ability Bonus ( , , , or ), , , , , , , Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights Favor and 15 Commendation: War Wizards adds [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Shufarix, Cixir, Choazz and Tsirrik Chests)
- Stone Heart - Docent: (Adamantine Body +21 / Mithral Body +10 / Composite Plating +4), Random Ability Bonus ( ), , , , Upgrade: 375 Purple Dragon Knights Favor and 15 Commendations of appropriate type adds , , , , and [ML:22, ] (Chest Loot: Shufarix and Tsirrik Chests)
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Astral Harrower ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Cho'ahz ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Cixsir ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Demonic Swarmhorde Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Demonweb Terror ( view • )||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Draegloth ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Furious Render ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Grulemith ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Maljuph ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Nilaphax ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Ravenous Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Shufarix ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Soulherd Drider ( view • )||Aberration||Drider|
|Tsirrik ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Vicious Deathjump Spider ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Yugoloth Mercenary ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|