The Stones Run Red
Khyber, the Dragon Below, is more than a myth to the monstrous races of Eberron. Dark cults worship the wyrm, erecting massive sacrificial altars in its name.
|Requires access to : Three-Barrel Cove|
|The Stones Run Red|
|Takes place in:||The Fire Caves|
|Quest acquired in:||Three-Barrel Cove|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Go to the fire mountain north of Three Barrel Cove. From the cliffside road, the path winds through orc territory, but perhaps there is also a safer path around the orcs. From the top of the fire mountain, descend into the Fire Caves. Then defeat the Ogre High Shaman, Mak-Murug and destroy all the altars to the Dragon Below that he has erected.
- Chapter 1 of The Fire Caves story arc.
- Slay High Shaman Mak-Murug.
- Destroy the altars of the Dragon Below (3 total)
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- This quest is full of lava; make sure to bring the best fire resistance you can get.
- Destroying the altars counts towards your killables bonus, not your breakables; several fire mephits spawn when you attack them, but killing them doesn't count towards any bonus.
- You can actually target the first altar by the southern lever, return to the bridge across the lava, and range it from there, so you don't have to worry about the spawning fire mephits. You can then target and range the mephits from the middle of the bridge (near the pillar), if you wish to get the collectable beyond.
- Despite the giant padlock on the door leading to the first set of shrines, it's unlocked; the door to the second set of shrines, however, is locked. (Lock DCs)
- There are two doors near the second shrine: the "high road" across from the shrine, which leads to Mac-Murug, and the "low road" to the south, leading to the final altar. It's possible to range the altar from where Mac-Murug was standing and skip the low road entirely (unless you really, really want that Adventurer's Pack down there...).
- There is nothing in the southern lobe other than the mushroom at the top of the ledges (and it's a long hop-climb up) and the exit rope.
- Discreet bonus: 4 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 15 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 20 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 24 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- One in the room to the west, on the lower level of the lava room
- One behind the second altar
- One by Mak-Murug
- Collectables: Nine
- Crude Altar near the first altar
- Mushroom in the room to the west, on the lower level of the first lava room
- Adventurer's Pack along the northern walkway on the lower level of the first lava room
- Mushroom near the second altar
- Adventurer's Pack on a ledge to the north, on the high road
- Mushroom on a ledge to the west, on the high road
- Cabinet near Mak-Murug
- Mushroom on a ledge above Mak-Murug; you need to continue past his alcove and keep climbing up.
- Adventurer's Pack north of the third altar, near the lava flow
- NPC rewards: None - Quest is advanced to "Brood of Flame"
|Altar of the Dragon Below (view)||0||Construct||Inanimate Object|
|Fire Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Gray Ooze (view)||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Greater Hell Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|High Shaman Mak-Murug (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Large Fire Elemental (view)||Elemental||Fire Elemental|
|Lesser Gray Ooze (view)||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Ogre Shaman (view)||Giant||Ogre|