Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
The Stones Run Red
|The Stones Run Red is the 1st quest in The Fire Caves story arcStory arcs are chains of quests that make up a story line.|
Completing everything in a story arc often yields a nice reward..
|The Stones Run Red • Brood of Flame|
Khyber, the Dragon Below, is more than a myth to the monstrous races of Eberron. Dark cults worship the wyrm, erecting massive sacrificial altars in its name.
| Requires access to adventure pack|
|The Stones Run Red|
|Heroic XP:||♣2,140Solo/Casual ♦3,833Normal ♥4,100Hard ♠4,366Elite|
|Takes place in:||The Fire Caves|
|Quest acquired in:||Three-Barrel Cove|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Purchase:||Three-Barrel Cove or VIP|
Go to the fire mountain north of Three Barrel Cove. From the cliffside road, the path winds through orc territory, but perhaps there is also a safer path around the orcs. From the top of the fire mountain, descend into the Fire Caves. Then defeat the Ogre High Shaman, Mak-Murug and destroy all the altars to the Dragon Below that he has erected.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Slay High Shaman Mak-Murug.
- Destroy the altars of the Dragon Below (3 total)
What to Expect
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- This quest is full of lava; make sure to bring the best fire resistance you can get.
- Destroying the altars counts towards your killables bonus, not your breakables; several fire mephits spawn when you attack them, but killing them doesn't count towards any bonus.
- You can actually target the first altar by the southern lever, return to the bridge across the lava, and range it from there, so you don't have to worry about the spawning fire mephits. You can then target and range the mephits from the middle of the bridge (near the pillar), if you wish to get the collectable beyond.
- Despite the giant padlock on the door leading to the first set of shrines, it's unlocked; the door to the second set of shrines, however, is locked. (Lock DCs)
- There are two doors near the second shrine: the "high road" across from the shrine, which leads to Mac-Murug, and the "low road" to the south, leading to the final altar. It's possible to range the altar from where Mac-Murug was standing and skip the low road entirely (unless you really, really want that Adventurer's Pack down there...).
- There is nothing in the southern lobe other than the mushroom at the top of the ledges (and it's a long hop-climb up) and the exit rope.
- The Ogre Shaman can cast Blind, so bring some blindness removal potions.
- Discreet bonus: 4 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.( ♣107 ♦192 ♥205 ♠218 )
- Aggression bonus: 15 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣214 ♦383 ♥410 ♠437 )
- Onslaught bonus: 20 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣321 ♦575 ♥615 ♠655 )
- Conquest bonus: 24 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.( ♣535 ♦958 ♥1,025 ♠1,092 )
- Chests: 3
- One in the room to the west, on the lower level of the lava room
- One behind the second altar
- One by Mak-Murug
- Crude Altar near the first altar
- Mushroom in the room to the west, on the lower level of the first lava room
- Adventurer's Pack along the northern walkway on the lower level of the first lava room
- Mushroom near the second altar
- Adventurer's Pack on a ledge to the north, on the high road
- Mushroom on a ledge to the west, on the high road
- Cabinet near Mak-Murug
- Mushroom on a ledge above Mak-Murug; you need to continue past his alcove and keep climbing up.
- Adventurer's Pack north of the third altar, near the lava flow
- NPC rewards: None - Quest is advanced to "Brood of Flame"
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Altar of the Dragon Below ( view • edit )||0||Construct||Inanimate Object|
|Fire Mephit ( view • edit )||♦3Normal ♥5Hard ♠8Elite OR Summoned by another mephit: ♦3Normal ♥3Hard ♠3Elite||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Gray Ooze ( view • edit )||♦4Normal ♥6Hard ♠9Elite||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Greater Hell Hound ( view • edit )||♠5Elite||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|High Shaman Mak-Murug ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♠12Elite||Giant||Ogre|
|Large Fire Elemental ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♥7Hard ♠9Elite||Elemental||Fire Elemental|
|Lesser Gray Ooze ( view • edit )||♦2Normal ♥4Hard ♠6Elite||Ooze||Gray Ooze|
|Ogre Shaman ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♥7Hard ♠10Elite||Giant||Ogre|
|Ogre ( view • edit )||♦3Normal ♥5Hard ♠8Elite||Giant||Ogre|
- The Fire Caves chain quests
- Three-Barrel Cove quests
- Long quests
- The Fire Caves quests
- The Free Agents patron quests
- Pay to Play quests
- Quests with no traps
- Quests with collectables/9
- Quests by name
- Compendium:Level 5 quests
- Level 5 quests
- Quests with 4 base favor reward
- Quests with maps
- Links to YouTube
- Pages sourced by DDO forums
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Pay to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by adventure pack
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Long quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 4 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 5 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Three-Barrel Cove quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > The Free Agents patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by story arc > The Fire Caves chain quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by zone > The Fire Caves quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests with no traps
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > YouTube links > Links to YouTube