The mountains of Tempest's Spine are home to a storm giant, Sor'jek the Summoner. He does not take kindly to unexpected guests.
|Epic XP:||Legendary Tempest's Spine|
|Takes place in:||Tempest's Spine|
|Bestowed by:||Chamberlain Cyrese Embree|
|NPC contact:||Chamberlain Cyrese Embree|
|Quest acquired in:||House Jorasco|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Tempest's Spine is a Raid. Unlike other raids in DDO, there is no raid timer, so you may re-run the quest at any time. This is the second lowest-level raid by level. The Chronoscope is the lowest, at level 6. However, Tempest's Spine is also Free to Play.
- No flagging is required for this raid.
- Defeat the storm giant summoner, Sor'jek Incanni
- (Optional) Gain access to the rune hidden in a flooded tunnel — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Kill Ranger A'tchkar — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Kill Sorcerer Vyikkus — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Kill Zerisenz — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Kill Wizard Llyndarus — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Purge the Mountaintop of foes — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Puzzle (mandatory: tile puzzle)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Rune (mandatory: requires an INT check of )
- Levers (mandatory: require a STR check of )
- Locked doors (can be knocked/picked or can be skipped by taking another route and going outside)
- Monsters that have to be killed almost simultaneously (mandatory: 2, a Fire Reaver and an Ice Flenser)
Fire, Spinning Spike, Poison, Acid
Tips and Misc
- Tempest's Spine is often the first raid for new players. An experienced guide using voice chat is almost essential to a successful PUG raid party. If you are new to this raid, do be sure to speak up, and follow the leader's instruction.
- The raid is filled with fire-damaging enemies. Resist fire damage spells/items are a must.
- Several enemies will use poison.
- Several enemies (anticipate to meet two beholders throughout the caves) can cast Destruction or other death spells. Deathblock items may help. Death Ward may be insufficient due to numerous dispel magic enemies (Beholder, Drow Death Prophet)
- Giant Soothsayers can cast Destruction. Even if resisted, it will do over 250+ damage on hard mode and higher.
- Drow Death Prophets can cast Slay and Dispel.
- There is a very long dive in the quest. An underwater action item will be helpful. Most common strategy to solve this swim 'maze' is to keep the wall to your right.
- Lair of Fire and Ice:
- Some regard this part even harder than the final encounter. The Ice Flenser and the Fire Reaver at the ends of the two tunnels need to be slain almost simultaneously (within 30 seconds of each other).
- A common strategy is everyone staying inside the main chamber, while someone pulls or lures the Ice Flenser down first. Once the Flenser approaches, mages will drop Wall of Fire spells to kill the Flenser, then the party hurries down the other tunnel to kill the Fire Reaver.
- Obtain Olipar Rune goes in left most vase to stop his regen
- Underwater passage:
- Obtain Nular Rune
- Pass to Inevitable:
- Obtain Talen Rune goes in right most vase to stop fire immunity
- On the final boss:
- Clerics that cast Freedom of Movement, Resist Electricity, Resist Sonic, and Death Ward are very helpful.
- Remove Featherfalling gear before the final encounter. This will have you fall down faster if you get blown away by Sor'jek, and improve your chance of landing back onto the summit or the high mountainside instead of drifting away from the mountain to strange corners of the map where retrieval is difficult.
- When you enter the boss room, you must talk to Talf Halfspear to start the puzzle.
- Much like the final boss in Stormcleave Outpost, Sor'jek is a purple-named monster who is virtually impossible to fight or kill without solving the puzzle (which powers off his weather control ability) and using the runes you should have collected along the way. Runes control various of his abilities such as fast regeneration (full heal at half health, leftmost vase), 100/-, and fire immunity. He can always be damaged by sonic damage and some weapon procs such as Pure Good.
- (At least in Elite) Sor'jek Incanni will eventually perform a full health refill. Cut him down as quickly as possible if you see he has regained his weather control ability.
- Refer to for useful guides on navigating throughout this quest.
- Discreet bonus: 66 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: circa 119 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 268 on elite or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 60 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 77 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Ten minimum, thirteen possible
- Two in "Fire and Ice."
- One to the left through the door right after the fire elemental trap.
- One just before underwater swim for killing Clay Golem.
- One for killing a Clay Golem in a pocket to the right of the underwater swim.
- One to the left side of the first Beholder encounter for killing the Clay Golem.
- One near the shrine for killing the first Beholder.
- One near resurrection shrine for killing the Inevitable.
- Two after slaying Sor'jek Incanni for completion of the quest.
- Three possible orange-named bosses that can spawn a chest each.
- NPC rewards: Random item