Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
- Cooldown: 6 seconds
- Usage: Active
- Prerequisite: Level 1: Paladin, Level 20: Fanaticism
Target: Foe, Directional, Breakable
Using this melee attack, you call upon the paladin's ability to strike down evil creatures, gaining twice your Charisma bonus to hit and a damage bonus based on your paladin level. Smites return at the rate of one every 90 seconds.
- The formula for the extra damage is 3 * Paladin level + 7.
- This extra damage is only applied if the target is Evil, otherwise the charge is spent and the ability does regular damage. (Source)
- This damage is added to the base damage of the attack, and is thus multiplied by critical strikes.
- This ability also applies "Smitten" for a duration equal to your paladin level regardless of alignment. A level 10 paladin, for example, applies 10 seconds of "Smitten".
- Smitten: -1 To-hit, damage, saves, and skill checks.
- A character with 0 paladin levels in Divine Crusader with Divine Smite should be treated as a level 5 Paladin for the purposes of Smite Evil's damage calculation. Otherwise, their calculation gains 5 levels in addition to their base Paladin level.
- This attack animation cancels your current attack. For maximum effect, use immediately after any attack.
Sources of Extra Smites
- A paladin receives an extra Smite at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20, granting a base amount of 2, 3, 4, and 5 respectively.
- Extra Smite enhancements within the KotC tree grant +2 charge per rank, up to a total of +6 smites.
- Paladins regenerate smites at the rate of one charge every 90 seconds. This time can be reduced by the Divine Crusader enhancement Endless Smiting. This ability reduces the recharge time to one every 81/72/63 seconds, at rank 1/2/3 respectively.
- Endless Smiting also grants +1 additional charges per rank.
- The Extra Smites item enchantment.
Paladins sufficiently invested within the Knight of the Chalice tree can unlock a new upgrade for smite evil: Exalted Smite.
- Exalted smite shares the same damage formula as a regular smite evil, and shares the same pool of charges; however, Exalted Smite grants an additional +1/+1/+2 to critical damage multiplier, and an additional +0/+1/+2 to critical threat range, at ranks 1/2/3.
Characters using the Epic Destiny Divine Crusader can enhance Smite Evil further via Divine Smite.
- This enhancement is applied the same to both Smite Evil and Exalted Smite.
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game mechanics
Root > DDO library > Classes > Paladin > Paladin class feats
Root > DDO library > Feats
Root > DDO library > Feats > Feats by source > Class feats
Root > DDO library > Feats > Feats by usage > Active feats
Root > DDO library > Feats > Free feats
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums