Redfang the Unruled
(Redirected from Redfang's Nesting Grounds)
Redfang the Unruled is no common spider. Your mission of extermination will not be easy.
|Redfang the Unruled|
|Takes place in:||Redfang's Nesting Grounds|
|Bestowed by:||Basil Tallbarrow|
|NPC contact:||Basil Tallbarrow|
|Quest acquired in:||The Marketplace|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Explore the warehouse sub-basement and kill Redfang the Unruled.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Destroy the giant spider Redfang
- Collect Redfang's Silk Glands
- (Optional) Acquire Venom's Poison Sac — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Acquire Bile's Stinger — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Tarnish — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Vyragon — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Goliath — Bonus (15%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- Point of no return
- Overlapping floors
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps, control panel locations, and secret doors can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Fire Trap: Just after entrance. Control panel is on the right wall
- Fire Trap: At base of first long drop. Control panel is on the interior wall
- Spike Trap: In front of rune-locked door after first long drop (where Venom spawns). Control panel is beside the trap, to the right of the door.
- Spike Trap: Room full of spike traps. Control panel is on the North wall, on top of a crate. Only some of the spikes will be disabled.
- Poison Trap: Room full of poison traps. Control panels on all four walls, top level. There is one sprayer on the top level of the west wall that stays active even if you get all 4 trap control panels disarmed.
- NOTE! Take the left way (clockwise) around the room, so you get to each panel BEFORE you hit the trap. With the changes in U18, there's no protection from poison on Elite level difficulty. If you get sprayed, even with protection, you're going to die. Neutralize Poison offers you no protection against these traps.
- Fire Trap: Top of ramp leading to Redfang. Trap control panel on Left wall.
- Fire Trap: Bottom of ramp leading to Redfang. Trap control panel on Right wall.
Tips and Misc
- Throughout this quest, you'll be fighting mostly spiders, along with a few scorpions, so vermin bane items and anti-poison spells/items can be very useful. Feather fall may also be useful, as there are several long drops (you can use ladders or ramps to get down, however if you fall...)
- There are also a large number of traps that you'll encounter along the way, so a good rogue is a near must-have for this quest.
- There are white spider egg sacks in the first several rooms you come into. If you get too close to them, a baby glass spider will hatch, and possibly poison you. Best method to get rid of them is to use "T" button to go into manual targeting mode and then use ranged attacks to destroy them. Destroying either the egg or the spider will yield no additions to the kills or breakables count.
- You can go back to the shrine on the second level if you have feather fall and turn around immediately after the end of the ladders going up (helps if you are already facing out while climbing the ladder).
- Be careful not to let the black widow in the long hallway on the third level draw you into the second fire trap.
- Goliath may appear on the second level, in the southern section of the room.
- Venom may appear on the second level, in the northern section of the room. Her venom sac will garner a potion of Cat's Grace from Tallbarrow when you exit.
- Bile may appear on the third level, just before the long hallway. His stinger will garner a potion of Fox's Cunning from Tallbarrow when you exit.
- Tarnish may appear in the central (east-west) portion of the long hallway.
- Vyragon always appears behind a secret door across from Redfang's chamber.
- This quest ends when someone picks up Redfang's silk glands, not when Redfang dies. If you leave the glands on the floor until you've broken all the barrels in Redfang's room, you may be able to raise your breakable bonus.
- The insidious cunning bonus is unobtainable due to the required kill of Redfang.
- Devious bonus: 5 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 10 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 26 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 7 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 8 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 130 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 169 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 208 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The onslaught and conquest bonuses are unobtainable because the Baby Glass Spiders in this quest do not count as kills on the experience report.
- Chests: 4 - 6
- 1 optional for killing Goliath (doesn't always spawn, found on the middle floor in the southern section of the room)
- 1 at the bottom of the second drop, northeast corner of the room (mutually exclusive with chest below)
- 1 on the bottom level, in the southwest corner of the room with the third crystal lever (mutually exclusive with chest above)
- 1 optional for killing Tarnish (doesn't always spawn, found in the central portion of the long hallway)
- 1 on the bottom level, behind the secret door across from Redfang's chamber
- 1 optional for killing Vyragon (always spawns, secret door across from Redfang's chamber)
- 1 at the end for killing Redfang
- Collectables: Seven
- Cabinet on the first level, along the southern wall
- Cabinet on the second level, along the southern wall
- Rubble at the bottom of the second shaft
- Cabinet on the third level, with the second crystal lever
- Adventurer's Pack on the third level, in the middle of the room full of spike traps
- Moss on the third level, in the room after the third crystal lever
- Bookshelf in Vyragon's secret room
- Rubble in Redfang's den, to the north
- NPC rewards: 1 random item from a list of about 8. Also, optionally...
- A potion of Fox's Cunning for the (one) character to turn in Bile's stinger.
- A potion of Cat's Grace for the (one) character to turn in Venom's poison sac (the end-of-quest objective).
- Both of these in-game items appear as purple bags (identical to treasure bags, but labeled specifically), and are , and must be presented to Basil Tallbarrow to claim the potion, but neither are necessary to keep to complete the quest.
|Goliath (view)||Monstrous Humanoid||Gargoyle|
|Tarnish (view)||Aberration||Rust Monster|
|Baby Glass Spider (view)||OR From Egg: ;||Vermin||Spider|
|Black Widow (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Brown Spider (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Medium Monstrous Scorpion (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|