Prey on the Hunter
|Prey on the Hunter is the 3rd quest in The Essence of a Dragon .|
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock Stealer of Souls.|
|Flagging occurs by collecting dedicated items rather than completing these quests.|
|Enter the Kobold • Monastery of the Scorpion • Prey on the Hunter • Stealer of Souls|
After leaving the troubles of Korthos Island, the white dragon Aussircaex found Sanctuary here to lay her eggs.
|Requires access to : The Reaver's Reach|
|Prey on the Hunter|
|Takes place in:||Dragon Sanctuary|
|Quest acquired in:||Reaver's Refuge|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Purchase:||The Reaver's Reach or VIP|
In order to breach the defenses protecting Sor'jek's hidden fortress, H'rosin of Argonessen has asked you to retrieve Eberron Dragonshard Essence. It's located deep within Aussircaex's Valley, and H'Rosin created a portal for you to travel there.
After using the portal you arrive at the north side of Aussircaex's Valley. The quest entrance is at the south-west border.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Retrieve the Eberron Dragonshard Essence
- Stop the giants from stealing the eggs
- Breach the magical barrier
- Rescue the dragon from the giant hunters
- (Optional) Slay Roskilde — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Aussiroth — Bonus (55%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Aussircaex — Bonus (55%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Collapsible floors
- Points of no return
- Overlapping map (tunnels and floors)
- Maze (random layout)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest failure (if Aussircaex dies to giants)
- Randomly placed lever (mandatory)
- Protect an NPC (mandatory: Aussircaex)
Tips and Misc
- Despite the "2 or more" indicator on the quest, it can be soloed without any need for a second.
- Giants are immune to mind-affecting spells, but not Flesh to Stone. Unfortunately, being giants, they also have immensely high fortitude saves (DC30 seemed to have about a 10% success rate on Normal). Having the Master Transmuter's Staff from Lordsmarch Plaza will help somewhat with this tactic.
- The first part of the quest involves running through tunnels and getting hostile giants to break through ice barriers. Once you arrive at the maze, you'll need to rush through – making your way up to the white dragon, Aussircaex, and saving her from attackers.
- The "Magic Barrier" is on the lower (overlapping) level leading south from the 4-way intersection (below the chest on the map).
- To drop the magic barrier you need to find a lever which will spawn in one of many locations (all marked on the map)
- Once the lever is pulled, if you don't see the barrier from the 4-way intersection, you are on the upper level – go west and follow that loop counter–clockwise. If you find yourself east or southeast of the intersection, it will be faster to follow that loop counter-clockwise.
- Once you turn next lever, just south of the barrier, it goes back up. This is one of the few "quiet" places where characters (and players) can safely rest (or even go AFK) without fear of spawning giants.
- The maze to the end fight begins shortly after the southeastern shrine, after a large natural archway.
- Giants begin attacking the dragon as soon as the first party member enters the maze. The team should gather before entering the maze for buffs, haste, and be informed that they need to stick together – once anyone enters the maze, there is no time to be lost.
- When you enter the maze, the layout can be one of three variations – go right, go left, or go straight(-ish – left and a quick right into the maze). You want to get to the exit to tunnels up, in the northeast corner. It should be apparent if your guess is the correct one, or if you have to try another.
- The maze itself consists of 2 Parts (main stages) for making decisions:
- Part 1: the first decision to take is near the Maze entrance. Each part has three main paths to follow: left, middle or right. Only one of those paths will lead you further; the other two lead to dead ends. The two dead end paths are fairly short in length.
- The fastest order (if Soloing) to see, which one of the first three paths is correct, is by trying: right first, middle second and left third.
- Only the "correct" path will keep on going a very long way, and lead you to the blue spherical barrier surrounding the eggs, visible through the maze's ice-ceiling.
- DM text: "A protective barrier surrounds several white dragon eggs embedded within the ice"
- Part 2: when you get to the area below the blue barrier in the ceiling above you, again you'll have to choose between three main paths (similar to above, again only one of these three paths is correct).
- The fastest order to see which one of these three paths is correct is by trying: middle first, left second and right third.
- You'll know you are on the "correct" path when you get out of the maze, and start heading up a stone tunnel.
- At the end of the stone tunnel you'll run into a big translucent ice wall. A drop down hole is located to the far right.
- When you land on the ice, the fight usually is out of sight far off to your left.
- Important: The dragon is hostile until the end of the fight. Any area effect spells (e.g. Cleave, Improved Precise Shot, Fireball, Firewall, a Warlock's Aura, etc.) will hurt the dragon as well. Be careful where you throw them.
- If the enemy boss giant is allowed to engage the dragon, he will be difficult to peel off. Get his attention as soon as possible and kite him away from the dragon. Dragging the dragon away from the entrance may help with this a little.
- Other giants will respawn until the giant boss is killed.
- After the Giants are repelled, you can initiate an optional dragon fight against Aussircaex, and her mate, Aussiroth. To initiate the fight, simply tell the dragon you'll take her eggs (threaten her, basically). Note that the two dragons are much tougher than any of the giants you just fought.
- If you beat both the dragons, you get 3 additional chests, and a +110% XP bonus.
- The end-chest is up some terraced ice in the northwest corner of this area, the three bonus chests can be found on the ice floor to the west.
- Aggression bonus: ~40 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: ~56 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: ~68 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 14 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Notes: The limits are constantly increasing because of the regularly respawns. If most enemies are killed which drop in the way, conquest is easily achieved. Numbers above are approximate where this bonus triggers first on Hard.
- Chests: 2–6
- 1 in the tunnels before reaching the central chamber (can spawn in multiple locations, map incomplete)
- 1 for killing Roskilde (after reaching the central chamber first time and breaking through the floor)
- 1 at the end for saving Aussircaex
- always drops Toothpick ( ), the Eberron Dragonshard Essence, and a Tempest Rune
- 3 optional for killing Aussircaex and Aussiroth (White Dragons), alongside 7 Gold Piles
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
- White Dragon Scale (optional dragon chest, 20% drop rate on Normal, Hard and Elite)
||Toothpick ( )||Rapier||
||12||Prey on the Hunter, End chest|
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Aussircaex ( view • )||Dragon||White Dragon|
|Aussiroth ( view • )||Dragon||White Dragon|
|Drow Slave ( view • )||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Frost Giant Cleric ( view • )||Giant||Giant|
|Frost Giant Hunter ( view • )||Giant||Giant|
|Frost Giant Mage ( view • )||Giant||Giant|
|Frost Giant Raider ( view • )||Giant||Giant|
|Frost Wolf ( view • )||Magical Beast||Wolf|
|Kaljarne ( view • )||Giant||Giant|
|Roskilde ( view • )||Giant||Giant|