Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Magical Resistance Rating
|Update 23 Armor Up changes|
Magical Resistance Rating (abbreviated MRR) is a form of damage mitigation was that introduced with Update 23.
It provides a percentage reduction in damage from acid, sonic, fire, electric, cold, alignment, light, positive, negative, poison, and rust. MRR is granted through multiple sources (items, feats, enhancements) and stacks with itself. Multiple effects granting an Enhancement bonus to Magical Resistance do not stack. Character sheets show the Magical Resistance Rating of the player next to the elemental resistances.
MRR is applied after Elemental Resistance. MRR is applied to the damage that passes through the resistance and this is always rounded down. As such if a player would take 20 damage before resists or MRR was applied and had 10 resistance and 60 MRR (37.5% reduction), the result is:
- (20 - 10) * 37.5% = 3.75 round down to 3
- 3 damage will be resisted.
MRR and % reduction
Example: A character is hit for 100 points of damage.
- 0 MRR takes full damage, 100 points.
- 20 MRR takes 16.67% less damage, 83 points.
- 100 MRR takes 50% less damage, 50 points.
Different armor types can apply a cap for Magical Resistance Rating (U23):
- Robes, Outfit, or empty armor slot: 50
- Light Armor: 100
- Medium Armor: No cap
- Heavy Armor: No cap
Medium Armor and Heavy Armor prevent you from using Evasion (and so do Large Shields and Tower Shields).
Increasing MRR cap
Few rare effects exist that allow your character to increase the MRR cap restriction imposed by your armor. Items:
- Item: Legendary Jidz-Tet'ka: Water Stance - +10 MRR Cap
- Item: Perfected Jidz-Tet'ka: Water Stance - +10 MRR Cap
- Beacon of Magic item sets: +10 heroic / +20 legendary for three piece item set
- Esoteric Initiate sets: +10 heroic / +20 legendary for three piece item set
- Mind and Matter set: +30 legendary for two piece item set
- The Desert's Biting Sands: +10 heroic / +20 epic / +30 legendary for two piece item set
- Draconic Prophecy: +10 heroic / +20 epic / +30 legendary for two piece item set
- Deacon of the Auricular Sacrarium:+30 legendary for three piece item set
- Dance of the Wind: +10 for three piece filigree set
- Frozen Wanderer: +10 for three piece filigree set
- Nystul's Mystical Defense: +40 for five piece filigree set
- Two Weapon Defense: +10 when Two Weapon Fighting
- T5 Grandmaster of Flowers: Beyond the Center - +5/10/15 Magical Resistance Rating cap.
- 4th Core Grandmaster of Flowers: Philosophy - +10 Magical Resistance Rating cap.
Sources of MRR
- Past Life: Deep Gnome: +3, stacks 3 times
- Past Life: Warlock: +3, stacks 3 times
- Past Life: Acolyte of the skin: +1, stacks 3 times
- Construct Exemplar +10
- Deific Warding +10 (up to +30)
- Dreamscape +15 situationally
- Scion of Elysium +25 for summons / hirelings
- Scion of Limbo +30 situationally
- Scion of the Plane of Fire +10
- Scion of the Plane of Water +20
- Magical Resistance Rating offered by armor: None! (except for randomly generated armor)
(bonuses removed in Update 28 Patch 1)
- Magical Resistance Rating offered by shield type (proficiency not needed)(Stacks with the Sheltering enhancement):
- Bucklers/Orbs: 0
- Small shields: 5
- Large shields: 10
- Tower shields: 15
- Enhancement bonus: see Sheltering items
- Insight bonus
- Quality bonus
- Mythic bonus: Mythic Boost items (armor, shields, boots, cloaks, headgear / necklaces / bracers)
- Luck bonus: Unbreakable Adamancy set bonus
- Artifact bonus
- Slave Lords Crafting set bonus
- Ravenloft item sets
- Reaper bonus
- Profane bonus: Bloodrage Chrism
Characters proficient with shields can also use the larger shields for defense against magical attacks that would normally require a Reflex saving throw. In addition to using your Reflex saving throw to mitigate the damage you can deflect the damage off your shield. This is represented by increasing your Physical and Magical Resist Ratings against those types of attacks when using a shield.
- You gain this additional mitigation whether you make your Reflex saving throw or not.
- You don't have to be actively blocking to gain this benefit.
Physical and Magical Resist Rating multiplier against magical attacks that normally allow a Reflex saving throw.
- Buckler: 1.0 (no additional mitigation)
- Light Shield: 1.0 (no additional mitigation)
- Heavy Shield: 2.0 (no evasion)
- Tower Shield: 2.0 (no evasion)
|Originally Posted by Vargouille on October 2, 2014|
Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells).
- Entropic Ward +5 MRR. Warlock 6, Great Old One pact.
- Paragon's Aegis +5 MRR. Warlocks receive it 5 times, at levels 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20, for a total of +25 MRR.
Acolyte of the Skin enhancements
- Fiendish Form IV: +3 per Core (+12 automatically when obtained), up to +18
- Resilience of Soul: +2/+4/+6
- Devil's Bulwark III: +1 and +1 Cap per 2 Warlock levels, up to +10 each
- Cores: 2+2+2
Enlightened Spirit enhancements
- Shape Vestments: +5 in Light Armor, +10 in Medium Armor
- Resilience of Soul: +2/+4/+6
- Spiritual Ward: up to +13
- Fortify Summons: up to +20 for summons / hirelings
- Cores: +5/+5/+10 at levels 12/18/20
- Parrying Bond: +1/2/3 while Weapon Bond 10+
- Guarding Bond: +4/8/12 while Weapon Bond 30+/60+/90+
- One Spirit: +4/8/12
- Cores: +5/+5/+10 at levels 12/18/20
- Sacred Stance: up to +25
- Harbored By Light: up to +25
Stalwart Defender enhancements
- Stalwart Stance: up to +25
- Capstone: +10 passive and +50 active action boost
- Cores: 2+1+1+1+1+1
- Dervish: +10
- Improved Defense: +3
- Mystic Wards: +3/6/10
- Shroud of the Zombie: +3
- Shroud of the Lich: +15
- Undead Augmentation (Deathly Resistance): +15
Renegade Mastermaker enhancements
- Embed Component: +5/10/15
Monsters with MRR
See Physical Resistance Rating#Monsters with PRR for information about reducing MRR of your enemies and how that affects the damage of your magical attacks.
|Originally Posted by Cocomajobo on November 30, 2018|
All of the properties listed are able to go into the negatives. Going from 0 to -10 PRR provides the same difference in damage against the target as going from 10 PRR to 0 PRR. The same is true of MRR and Melee Power/Ranged Power.
So! Even though a large portion of monsters do not innately have positive values of those stats, effects that debuff still help to defeat them.
Player characters have a few options for reducing enemy MRR, for example:
- Shattered Device sentient filigree
- Mind Tear: This weapon tears at the identity of your foes, reducing their MRR and Spell Power.
- Legendary Ash: Attacks and offensive spells have a 50% chance to reduce enemy MRR and Universal Spell Power.
- Banishing Arrows: -1 PRR/MRR, stacks up to 25 times. 5 stacks fade away every 3 seconds.
- Devour the Soul: -20 PRR/MRR for 6 seconds
- Melted Armor debuff: -10 PRR and MRR on each hit, does not stack with itself, duration 12 seconds
- Constricting Nightmare, enchantment on Suffering, the Half of Whole
- Legendary Ooze weapon
- Taint the Aura: -2 SR, PRR and MRR per stack, up to 5 stacks, 10 seconds duration
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game mechanics
Root > DDO meta > Pages mentioning a Turbine employee > Pages mentioning Cocomajobo
Root > DDO meta > Pages mentioning a Turbine employee > Pages mentioning Vargouille
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums