Guide to Pale Masters: Avoiding Light damage
Please help improve this page.
You can help by editing this page. For suggestions, please see the talk page, or embedded <!-- comments --> while .
This stub is related to Basic in Dungeons and Dragons Online and needs to be filled out. If you are considering filling it out, some good places to check would be both the google and ddo.com forum search pages. You can help expand it by clicking at the top of the page.
- 1 Guide to Pale Masters: Avoiding Light damage
- 2 Quest list and enemy sources of Light damage
- 3 External links
Guide to Pale Masters: Avoiding Light damage
Pale Master is such a nice PrE for non-WF Wizards who lack quick self healing ability. However, while leveling, you encounter mobs that deal huge light damage on you and possibly one-shot you while you are in undead forms. Thus you cannot rely on these forms all the time and should know when to turn them off or refrain from using them in the quest.
Pale Master Undead Forms
|Undead form||AP and level requirement||Benefit||Penalty|
|Shroud of the Zombie||Level 3 (5 AP)||+2 STR, +2 CON, DR 5/Slashing||25 SP to activate, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma, -20% attack speed, Takes double light damage|
|Shroud of the Vampire||Level 6 (10 AP)||+2 STR, +2 CHA, +2 DCs on enchantment spells||50 SP to activate, Takes triple light damage (Reduced to double with Improved Shrouding)|
|Shroud of the Wraith||Level 12 (20 AP)||25% incorporeality, +20 Move Silently and Balance||75 SP to activate, Takes double light damage|
|Shroud of the Lich||Level 18 (30 AP)||+2 INT, +4 CON, +2 WIS, +1 DCs on necromancy spells||100 SP to activate, Takes double light damage|
|Spell||Damage for non-undead||Damage for undead|
|Nimbus of Light||1d4+4 + 1 * (caster level)||?|
|Searing Light||1d4+4 * 1/2(caster level)
Maximum damage 5d4+20
|1d3+3 * (caster level)|
Maximum damage 10d3+30
|Divine Punishment||1d6 + 1 * (caster level) every 2 seconds (no initial tic) for a duration of 16 seconds (at CL1).
Maximum 1d6+20 at caster level 20
|Sunburst||6d6, in addition to blinding.||1d3+3 * (caster level) (Maximum caster level 25).|
Light fearing Undead may be instantly destroyed by this spell if it fails its save.
Light Resistance items
Items with Light Resistance are far rarer than other energy resistance items, as it is only available on a very small list of named items. The only one that can be used before level cap is raid loot, which is unlikely to be available for 1st life wizards.
- Shroud of the Abbot (Improved, and Greater when upgraded, minimum level 14)
- Epic Phiarlan Mirror Cloak (Greater, minimum level 20)
- Pale Rod (Greater, minimum level 20)
- This is a useful item if you don't want to bother getting the Shroud of the Abbot or Epic Mirror cloak, but if you're looking for a pre-20 item, look further.
Quest list and enemy sources of Light damage
- see also Quests by level
Level 1 quests
- Necromancer's Doom - Devourer Warpriest casts Nimbus of Light.
- The Cannith Crystal - Dren Ral casts Nimbus of Light.
Level 6 quests
- Purge the Heretics - Elf Priests cast Searing Light.
- The Bounty Hunter - Halfling Priests cast Searing Light. None of the other priests did but maybe they can.
Level 7 quests
- Gwylan's Stand - Elf Priests cast Searing Light.
- The Pit - Juibless Preachers cast Searing Light.
- The Tear of Dhakaan - Arzag-Khor Adepts cast Searing Light.
Level 8 quests
Level 9 quests
Level 10 quests
Level 11 quests
- Made to Order - Dwarven acolytes. Zerging paths and grouping mobs up is okay, but make sure acolytes are not included in the pile of mobs.
Level 12 quests
- A Relic of a Sovereign Past - Dwarven acolytes. Avoid them like a plague. "Caster tunnel" especially can really be dangerous for Pale Masters.
Level 13 quests
- Undermine - Droaam Combat Engineers (Kobold) cast Searing Light, also Sunburst on harder difficulties.
Level 16 quests
- The Lords of Dust - Gnomon often casts Divine Punishment on you.
- Running with the Devils - The Ghaele Eladrin will favor light-based spells, and constantly cast Searing Light at you. They also have many resistances and immunities, limiting your spell selection. The end fight with Tolarn Rhawn and his lackeys should not be a problem using your form.
- Ritual Sacrifice - Gnoll conjurers. Troglodyte casters at the summoning portals.
- Servants of the Overlord - Drow Priestesses and the final boss, Sabriz Rinzyn Kho, are divine-casters. Being Drow, they have a high amount of racial Spell Resistance (CR + 10).