Fall of the Forbidden Temple
|Fall of the Forbidden Temple is the 4th quest in the Curses of the Kopru .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|The Curse and the Captive Crustacean • Plundering Pirates' Point • Bullywugs and Booby Traps • Fall of the Forbidden Temple|
This complex is the center of Kopru activity on the Isle of Dread. It's their oldest temple, their last redoubt - and home to the teleportation device that can take you back home to Eberron.
|Requires access to : The Isle of Dread|
|Fall of the Forbidden Temple|
|Takes place in:||Forbidden Kopru Temple|
|Quest acquired in:||Village of Tanaroa|
|Purchase:||The Isle of Dread|
Go to the Forbidden Kopru Temple far to the north on the Isle of Dread. It holds the key to opening a path back home to Eberron.
Although you can enter this quest at any time, you might want to complete the other three quests in the chain first to be able to dispel one or more curses.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Reach the master of this temple
- Find your way deeper into the ruins.
- Find your way out of the flooded area.
- Find your way past the mud cavern.
- Find your way through the Kopru tunnels.
- Slay The Malignant Deep
- Find your way into the innermost vault.
- Activate the Isle Control Monolith.
- (Optional) Dispel the Curse of the Vile Tongue — no XP
- (Optional) Dispel the Curse of the Broken Body — no XP
- (Optional) Dispel the Curse of the Assassin's Blade — no XP
- (Optional) Slay Kay'lis of the Rattling Bones — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Explore the hidden passage in the mud cavern — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Explore the hidden deep cave side passage — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
|Fire||In the room north after defeating Massive Temple Water Weird, the trap is clearly designated by the scorch marks on the floor. The control panel is in the southeast corner. Alternatively a throwing weapon can be used to hit the target lever on the northwest corner of the ceiling. Doing this will disarm the trap but give no credit on the scorecard.|
|Mechanical||Blade Traps rise out from the floor on the second corner after bypassing the Orange/Red gate. The control panel is on the left.|
|Acid||In the Kopru tunnel hallway, one just before it turns south, the second across from the Octopus crest area, the control panels are on the right, the traps can be avoided by staying in the middle of the hallway.|
Areas of Nibbling Things in the water, Collapsing floors. Boiling mud.
Tips and Misc
- On entering the quest three curses are applied:
- Curse of the Assassin's Blade: Regular damage by Spectral Blades (can be avoided by blocking at the requisite moment)
- Curse of the Broken Body: 30% more damage from magical sources and 4% less fortification for each character level
- Curse of the Vile Tongue: 15% all spell fail chance and 50% healing
- If you have the relevant attunement from the three curse monoliths (in The Curse and the Captive Crustacean (Vile Tongue), Bullywugs and Booby Traps (Assassin's Blade) and Plundering Pirates' Point (Broken Body)), you can interact with the three curse monoliths at the start of the quest to dispel the curses. Alternatively, you can choose to leave some of the curses active, for one bonus end chest per curse.
- Note that the attunement is consumed on deactivating the curse; you may need to rerun the three quests first.
- The three curses, in combination, are absolutely crippling for an Arcane caster, and aren't much help for a Divine caster either. On high difficulties, unless you have a strong support party and are going after all four bonus chests, it's advisable to at least deactivate the Curse of the Vile Tongue from The Curse and the Captive Crustacean.
- After opening the first barrier with the crest in the Chieftain's room, you walk down a corridor with a collapsing floor. If you wish, you can climb a ladder back up to jump across the tops of some columns and fight Kay'lis of the Rattling Bones. (A Dimension Door between the two sides of the gap can be opened with a lever on the far side.)
- The door behind Kay'lis leads to a small room with a chest. Both door and chest are locked.
- Head down into the pit, pull a lever in a flooded room, and fight a giant Water Weird.
- Opening the Weird's chest causes a secret door to open behind it. Down this corridor is another lever and an extremely dangerous fire trap – fortunately, it can be deactivated by shooting a target lever or a Control Panel on the right side.
- The next room is full of mud and glowing orbs. To open the barrier at the end, every orb must be broken; however, approaching any orb causes an orange-named Kopru to spring from the mud and attack. Characters with low Charisma and/or Will saves are advised to break the orbs at range.
- One of the Kopru statues in the next room has a lever behind it. This lever opens a door behind the shrine back in the mud room, leading to optional boss Yan'agix.
- Yan'agix is a tough fight, and summons several waves of Dretch reinforcements – it is easy to get overwhelmed. This fight is probably harder than the end boss. Proceed with caution.
- You must now search the flooded rooms for two crests to open the next door. If a Kopru attacks you, it's a sure sign that room has a crest.
- After the door, there is one final shrine. If your Search skill is high enough, and you are playing on Legendary difficulty, you can find a lever here opening a secret door (on heroic, you can find the lever in the pit trap just south of the shrines. Behind this door are three successive locked doors, each with a higher DC – the final door is especially tough, with a modified roll of 80 not sufficient to unlock it even on Normal. Behind this is another, unlocked, door, a Dark Secret telling the final part of the story of King Lindal, better known as Death's Teeth, and a chest.
- Proceed south from the shrine. Stay in the central water-filled channel – another pit trap drops players walking on the edges into a piranha-filled pool. The next room, to the south, contains Kopru end boss The Malignant Deep.
- Finally, swim under the gate into the vault, and while Vecna monologues, smash all the red orbs and activate the Isle Control Monolith. The quest completes, and you can finally return home to Eberron – albeit as one of Vecna's chosen, which bodes ill for the future.
- After using the Isle Control Monolith a portal to Eberron appears, which will transport you to The Harbor should you wish it. Alternatively, a nearby Dimension Door will allow you to return to the rest of the Temple if you wanted to go back and do any of the optionals.
- Devious bonus: 21 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 42 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 106 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 138 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 21 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 27 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 33 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 7
- Locked chest after passing over the collapsing floor
- Chest for defeating Massive Temple Water Weird (must be opened to proceed)
- 1 chest for the Dark Secret at the hidden deep cave optional
- 1 end chest (named loot, augments, ingredients)
- up to 3 extra end chests if you don't dispel the curses (augments, ingredients)
- Collectables: 7
- Adventurer's Pack behind a secret door in the first room
- Crude Altar upstairs in the first room
- Fungus under water near the green lever
- Fungus under water near the Massive Temple Water Weird
- Fungus near the grey lever
- Adventurer's Pack in a small room near the end
- Fungus in a small room near the end
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
This quest may also drop the following named augments:
- Legendary Arrowbound Topaz
- Legendary Brightbane Emerald
- Legendary Coalescent Ruby
- Legendary Demonheart Emerald
- Legendary Silvertongue Sapphire
- Legendary Swordcrossed Topaz
- Legendary Undying Sapphire
- Legendary Wraithborn Emerald
- Topaz of Abjuration Power
- Topaz of Conjured Power
- Topaz of Enchanted Power
- Topaz of Evocation Power
- Topaz of Illusory Power
- Topaz of Necromantic Power
- Topaz of Transmuted Power
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Blistering Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Bronze Living Statue ( view • )||Construct||Golem|
|Chief Tur'realyn ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Dark Secret ( view • )||Aberration||Will o' Wisp|
|Dread Ochre Jelly Fragment ( view • )||Ooze||Ochre Jelly|
|Dread Ochre Jelly ( view • )||Ooze||Ochre Jelly|
|Kay'lis of the Rattling Bones ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Kopru Ambusher ( view • )||Aberration||Kopru|
|Kopru Ruins Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Kopru Temple Water Elemental ( view • )||Elemental||Water Elemental|
|Kopru Temple Water Weird ( view • )||Elemental||Water Weird|
|Marauder Temple Defender ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Marauder Temple Guardian ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Marauder Temple Necromancer ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Massive Temple Water Weird ( view • )||Elemental||Water Weird|
|The Malignant Deep ( view • )||Aberration||Kopru|
|Walking Ancestor ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Yan'agix ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|