|Augments and minor slotted item customization|
Augment Slot is a gem socket on certain named or random items. By adding an augment into a slot, your item gains an additional effect, as long as the augment is slotted. This crafting system introduced in Update 17 replaced the two older augment systems - Epic Augments and Guild Augments. (Epic Augments can still be found on some legacy items, but these have become very rare. Guild Augments are now completely obsolete.)
Augment Slots appear in one of seven different colors:
|Red Augment||Blue Augment||Yellow Augment||Purple Augment||Orange Augment||Green Augment||Colorless Augment||Found in:|
|✘||✘||✘||✘||✘||✘||✔||Any type of item|
|✔||✘||✘||✘||✘||✘||✔||Weapons, Shields, or other hand-held items|
|✘||✔||✘||✘||✘||✘||✔||Armor, Robes, Outfits, Shields, or other off-hand items|
|✘||✘||✔||✘||✘||✘||✔||Accessory items (Ring, Neck, Boots, Belt, Gloves, Goggles, Helmet, Bracers, Cloak, Trinket)|
|✔||✔||✘||✔||✘||✘||✔||Named Weapons, Shields, or other hand-held items|
|✔||✘||✔||✘||✔||✘||✔||Named Weapons, Shields, or other hand-held items|
|✘||✔||✔||✘||✘||✔||✔||Accessory items or named Armor, Robes, or Outfits|
Augments tend to be named as follows:
- Colorless Augments are known as Diamonds.
- Red, Yellow and Blue Augments are Rubies, Topazes and Sapphires respectively.
- Green Augments are Emeralds, and Orange Augments are Citrenes.
- The exact name of Purple Augments is unknown as currently all three existing ones have special names; however, the set description for the Essence of the Cobalt Guard indicates they are likely known as Amethysts.
- Note that these augments are not to be confused with Gems.
NOTE: The on-screen description of Augment slots neglect to mention that Colorless augments can be used anywhere. It's good to mentally add the words "...and Colorless" to the description. For instance, "This item has a Purple Augment Slot. It can be combined with a Blue, Red, or Colorless Augment."
Items with augment slots
- Named items
- Most newer named items have at least one augment slot. Raid items and higher-level items usually have two. Minor artifacts have 3.
- Random loot
5% of generated items have an augment slot. All types of augment slots can appear on random loot. Items with 2 slots are very rare but possible. On random items, augment slots are a bonus feature in addition to other effects, such as Enhancement Bonus, prefix, or suffix.
Compatibility with Cannith Crafting
Augments and augment slots are compatible with Cannith Crafting. Augment slots and slotted augments persist through disjunction.
Note: When you prepare a blank item for Cannith Crafting (disjunction), blanks with augment slots have a minimum level higher than one (up to 9 for dual-slotted blue+green blank). However, when you apply a minimum level shard, it can reduce the ML of the blank.
Augments are a kind of miscellaneous item, they do what Augment Crystals used to do before and more. Augments can be stored in an Augment Bag (available only from the DDO Store) or in the Crafting Storage of the Shared Bank.
- Common augments
- Unbound augments can be found in treasure chests (need source and verification on this info):
- Level 1-7 chests have a 5% chance per player of containing an augment gem.
- Level 8-16 chests have a 2% chance per player of containing an augment gem.
- Level 17-25 chests have a 1% chance per player of containing an augment gem.
- Various vendors in DDO sell augments; see Purchasable augments
- Some augments are also sold in the DDO Store (bound to account).
- Uncommon and named augments
- These drop in specific chests of specific quests and often have unique effects.
- Crafted augments
- You have to prepare these in crafting devices for various ingredients.
- Dino augments
- The Isle of Dread has a crafting system that uses augment slot mechanics. Dinosaur Bone crafting has its own craftable dino augments and items from that pack can include distinct dino augment slots.
From the inventory screen, click the 'Augment Item' button at the lower right of the window, this will display a popup-window of the same name. Drag the unlocked item to be augmented to the empty position on the popup-window, this will display filled and empty augment slots on the item. Drag an appropriate augment onto an empty slot of an appropriate color and it will lock into place, applying the effect of that augment to the item. Close the popup-window when you have finished augmenting the item.
At any point, you can replace the augment you have slotted by placing a new one in the same slot. However, new augments overwrite old augments, and you don’t get the old augment back. Alternatively, you can use Jeweler's Tool Kit (DDO Store only or a rare grab in Daily Dice) to unslot an augment and claim the old augment back. It is also possible to take an augment off from pre-slotted named items using it. ( )
Every augment has an associated minimum level requirement to use it. Slotting any augment also increases the slotted item’s minimum level to the level of the slotted augment for as long as that augment is slotted, unless the item’s minimum level is already equal or higher.
- Minor bug: If an item's ML is raised by a higher ML augment, and then that augment is removed or replaced by a lower level augment, the item's ML will not lower until after the character relogs. See: DDO Forums
Update 48 introduced a revamp of the augmentation system, as a result of this augment slots and augment-gems have been upgraded:
- Any augment-gem that is not slotted into an item when you log in will be upgraded upon login.
- Any item which has all augment slots empty, will be upgraded upon login.
- To remove old-style augments from items, a Legacy Augment Unslotter can be purchased from cannith crafting vendors for 00000000022 .
- Simply double click the Legacy Augment Unslotter to open a window, then drag and drop an unlocked augmented-item to the window, augments will be displayed and can be removed.
NOTE: No items or augments currently held in a bank will be upgraded, they must be moved to your inventory and a logout/login cycle completed to cause the upgrade process to trigger.
This table lists the common augments available in DDO. They are available at minimum levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, and 32. The effect matches Cannith Crafting in power level (This is not true for damage augments.For example lv 28 augment gives +8d6 while lv 28 CC only gives 6d6, lv 24 is 7d6 vs 5d6, lv 20 is 6d6 vs 4d6, lv 16 is 5d6 vs 4d6, lv 12 is 4d6 vs 3d6, lv 8 is 3d6 vs 2d6)). For example, an ML8 Strength augment grants +5 Strength, just like an ML8 cannith-crafted strength item would.
Please note the following:
- Most augment bonuses, unless otherwise specified, are an Enhancement Bonus.
- Spell Power augments are an Equipment Bonus.
- Named augments are not on the list below; see this list.
- This page shows this information in a different arrangement. Augments by Level
|Minimum Level||Colorless Augments
Diamond of x
Ruby of x
Sapphire of x
Topaz of x
- Elemental Damage - Fire, Cold, Acid or Electric. Like augments stack. 
- Elemental Resistance - Fire, Cold, Acid, Electric or Sonic.
- Spell Power - Fire, Cold, Acid, Electric, Sonic, Force/Untyped, Light/Alignment, Negative, Positive/Healing or Repair/Rust.
- (Greater) Spell Focus - Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Abjuration, Enchantment, Transmutation or Conjuration.
- Skills: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Haggle, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Repair, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble. No UMD augment.
- See also Augments vs. Cannith Crafting
Some augments can be purchased from vendors and collectors in Stormreach and beyond. Some notable vendors are listed below. For a full list, see the Purchasable Augments page.
- Randall Lyric
- Lahar in The Twelve sells augments for 20 .
- Collectors throughout Stormreach will give you a semi-random augment if you turn over enough of the right collectables, or you can choose a specific augment if you pay with Astral Shards.
- Vendors in Gianthold will trade you augments for your Relics (and/or Commendations of Heroism).
- Monster Hunter in the Hall of Heroes will trade augments for Mysterious Remnants.
Named, uncommon, and crafted augments
In addition to the standard augments listed above, there are a limited number of special augments that can be found in certain quests or created through crafting.
Named and uncommon augments
Transform a Raid Item into a Essence augments can be crafted in the Soulforge altar in the Hall of Heroes.level 30 Augment bearing an enchantment specific, and typically unique, to that item. These
|Essence Augment||Color||ML||Items to Consume||Essence bonus effect||Item drop sites|
|Essence of the Cloak of Strahd||Yellow||30||This topaz carries the soul of the Cloak of Strahd.
|Old Baba's Hut|
|Essence of the Nullscale Armor||Yellow||30||This topaz carries the soul of the Nullscale Armor.
|Essence of the Epic Litany of the Dead||Colorless||30||This diamond carries the soul of the Epic Litany of the Dead.
|Mark of Death|
|Essence of Constellation, Broken and Reforged||Orange||30||This citrene carries the soul of Constellation, in its whole yet broken form.
|Too Hot to Handle|
|Essence of The Masque||Blue||30||This sapphire carries the soul of The Masque.
|The Curse of Strahd|
|Essence of the Cobalt Guard||Purple||30||This amethyst carries the soul of the Cobalt Guard.
|Riding the Storm Out|
|Essence of the Cracked Core||Yellow||30||This topaz carries the soul of the Cracked Core.
|Essence of Dark Diversion||Yellow||30||This topaz carries the soul of Dark Diversion.
|Temple of the Deathwyrm|
|Essence of the Spear of the Mournlands||Orange||30||This citrene carries the soul of the Spear of the Mournlands.
|Legendary Lord of Blades|
|Essence of the Champion of the Twins||Blue||30||This sapphire carries the soul of the Champion of the Twins.
|Legendary Vision of Destruction|
|Essence of Ultimatum||Green||30||This emerald carries the soul of Ultimatum.
|Defiler of the Just|
|Essence of the Dethek Runestone||Green||30||This emerald carries the soul of the Dethek Runestone.
|Fire on Thunder Peak|
|Essence of Pomura's Memento||Green||30||This emerald carries the soul of Pomura's Memento.
|Hunt or Be Hunted|
These level 30 Set augments can be slotted in any augment color slot. They can be crafted in the Hut from Beyond (lower north harbor) in the Cauldron of Cadence. Be aware that slotting a Set Augment into an item with any existing sets will suppress those sets while the Set Augment is slotted, so you should avoid slotting set augments into items that are part of sets you intend to complete.
|Set Augment||Color||ML||Items to Consume||Set bonus effect||Item drop sites|
|Alluring Elocution||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact Bonus to Charisma||Too Hot to Handle|
|Arcane Barrier (Augment)||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +30 Magical Resistance Rating Cap||The Curse of Strahd|
|Arcane Guardian||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +30 Artifact bonus to MRR||Too Hot to Handle|
|Brutal Blows||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact bonus to Strength||Killing Time|
|Cruel Cut||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +15% Artifact bonus to damage vs the Helpless||Project Nemesis|
|Cunning Impact||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact bonus to Dexterity||Defiler of the Just|
|Dusk Raider||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +15 Artifact Bonus to Melee and Ranged Power||The Curse of Strahd|
|Esoterica||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact Bonus to all Spell DCs||Killing Time|
|Paragon Guard||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +15% Artifact Bonus to Armor Class||The Curse of Strahd|
|Perfect Silence||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact Bonus to Sneak Attack Dice||Old Baba's Hut|
|Piercing Mind||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact bonus to Intelligence||Project Nemesis|
|Quickblade (Augment)||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +15% Artifact bonus to Doublestrike and Doubleshot||Riding the Storm Out|
|Touch of Power||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +25 Artifact bonus to Universal Spell Power||Project Nemesis|
|Tough Shields||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +30 Artifact bonus to Physical Resistance Rating||Temple of the Deathwyrm|
|Truthful Blow||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +15% Artifact bonus to Fortification Bypass||Project Nemesis|
|Visions of the Beyond||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact bonus to Wisdom||Too Hot to Handle|
|Wild Fortitude||Colorless||30||3 Pieces Equipped: +3 Artifact bonus to Constitution||Legendary Lord of Blades|