Armor check penalty
The following are subject to Armor check penalty:
Armor check penalties from armors and shields stack.
Carrying capacity also can cause an Armor check penalty.
Note that medium encumbrance does not give any visual feedback, except that you run slightly slower. This may lead to unexpected deaths while swimming.
Reducing armor check penalties
Armor and Shields
- Mithral armor and shields have reduced armour check penalties (usually by 3).
- Nimbleness reduces armor check penalties by 2 or 4.
Note that light armors have a base armor check penalty of 0 (leather) or 1 (chain), so reductions beyond this level do nothing. Enhancements with reductions to armor check penalty usually increase maximum dexterity bonus as well; reducing the check penalty is just a bonus effect.
- Assassin Light Armor Mastery: [-2/-4/-6] to light armor
- Kensei Athletic Mastery: [-1/-2/-3] to all armor
- Tempest Improved Mobility: [-1/-2/-3] to light armor