|Items | Crafting | Collectables | Quests | Challenges | Maps | Monsters | Places | Favor |
Races | Classes | Enhancements | Epic Destinies | Feats | Skills | Spells | Glossary
We are testing a new skin! Let us know what you think.
|Please log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!or|
Trial by Fire
|Requires access to adventure pack: Ruins of Gianthold|
The Blackheart trolls inhabit this ancient cave. What horrors await within?
|Trial by Fire|
|Heroic XP:||♣2,300 ♦4,206 ♥4,393 ♠4,580|
|Epic XP:||♣13,298 ♦19,390 ♥17,670 ♠17,950|
|Takes place in:||Troll Lair|
|Quest acquired in:||Ruins of Gianthold|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Free to Play:||No|
You have located the location of the troll's underground lair in Gianthold. Enter and slay any trolls that you encounter as you make your way through the encampment.
- Reaching Troll Encampment entrance automatically bestows quest.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Explore the troll cave
- Slay the blackheart generals (3 total)
- Slay the blackheart leader
- (Optional) Slay the ancient arachnid queen: (15% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Point of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
- Useful elemental buffs:
- Normal: acid and fire
- Hard: acid, cold, fire
Lots of spiders and trolls. This quest has overlapping floors and is difficult to explain as a walkthrough.
Things to know:
"Explore the troll cave" means "slay the first two trolls in the entry hall".
Ancient arachnids have 10/pierce DR (15 on Elite), they also have acid resist, a high Spell Resistance, and are considered vermin. Fiendish Trolls are able to be dismissed and banished, but have a fairly good SR.
There is a chest with a bunch of spiders and the named Arachnid Queen behind the locked portcullis style gate.
After reaching the second tier, the troll throws a ‘large bulky object’ over the edge. Be sure to jump down there after it, he just chucked a chest down there, which may contain an Ancient Giant Relic. Be sure to open the gates in there before you jump down though, and maybe swing over and take out the General behind the lever gate to the right. He likes to cast enervation, so deathward is a good idea against him. When you defeat him the last general will come barreling out of the pit room. Defeating him opens the way to the Troll Lair Headquarters. Be sure to snag the shrine across the little break in the floor. There is a pit in the next chamber that you can drop down, safe from pursuers, many groups will just charge the pit from the shrine, to avoid needless bloodshed.
To find the pit: From the shrine head north (don't jump down the collapsed floor). You will get to 2 joined rooms separated by a low wall. You can jump over it or take the short ramp if you don't have the jump for it. The next room will have a crack in the floor in the north part, mostly invisible until you get there. That's the pit.
Down the pit is the end fight, this guy is a bruiser with good resists and some serious regen. DPS is the name of the game. Oh, watch out for the symbol of stunning he likes to cast, and he likes to dispel as well.
The end chest will have 1 Ancient Giant Relic.
- Aggression bonus: 53 monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 72 monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 89 monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 46 breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4
- 1 at the bottom of the main pit
- 1 in a small room in the central area of the map (can spawn in multiple locations)
- 1 optional behind a locked door for killing the Ancient Arachnid Queen (found in the SE passage)
- 1 at the end for killing Rort Rotseer (Troll)
- NPC rewards: Random item (up to 13 level accesories, up to 10 level weapons and armors)
- Ancient Arachnids
- Blackheart Fiend-Bloods
- Blackheart Oracles
- Blackheart Pathfinders
- Blackheart Warmongers