Nobody escapes the Pit of Despair.
|Takes place in:||The Pit|
|Bestowed by:||Vargus d'Deneith|
|NPC contact:||Vargus d'Deneith|
|Quest acquired in:||House Deneith|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
- This quest is one of the most tricky ones in the game. Can be painfully long if you don't know what you are doing. Have a good read of the following before entering the dungeon!
- This quest indeed can be soloed (without any hirelings).
- 1) Power up the backup generators
- 2) Light the first furnace
- 3) Arm the Pit's security traps
- 4) Light the second furnace
- 5) Reset the power breakers
- 6) Power up the main control room
- 7) Turn on the bilge pumps
- 8) Light the third furnace
- 9) Restart the intake system
- (Optional) Destroy 25 Eggs Heroic: +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Chieftain Ryssyssal Heroic: +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay High Priest Shylssass Heroic: +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Avatar of Juiblex Heroic: +25% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, 1 random, some undisarmable, some don't require rogue skills to be disarmed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzles (mandatory: lever puzzle, puzzle wheels and tile puzzles)
- Lightning (Main Breaker Room)
- Force (activated when power is restored, hugging the walls minimizes this damage)
Preparation is the key. Everyone should have a feather fall item, as most falls here are deadly without it, and it saves a lot of time to jump instead of running down ramps. Resist Fire, Electricity and Acid are the key ones you’ll need throughout, and False Life can act as an effective ward against the force traps even on Elite. Jump is a handy utility spell as well. Charm Monster or Suggestion can also be quite helpful to keep the fire elementals at bay while you are throwing the switches, and/or Invisibility (before getting their attention) works great as well.
- Acquiring the quest
- Entrance (Northern shaft, near (but not at) top)
- You start from here (Navigating The Pit)
- Before you start moving around, when you first zone in, open your map. The first thing to do is get your overall bearings. There is a large "square-ish" area with 2 circular pillars, one to the northwest and one to the southeast of it. In this guide, these will be referred to these as the North Pillar and South Pillar.
- 1) Backup Generator (Northern shaft upper level) on map: Square symbol with dots N, E, and W
- The First place you need to go is to the Backup Generator Room. To do this when you come in the entrance drop down to the platform right beneath you. Then follow it up. Careful as there is an acid trap at the top of this. A simple valve between the two jets turns it off. Once wind all the way up to the top of the South Pillar and enter into the room, there are various slimes and trogs for you to fight. Dispatch those. Pull the levers in each corner and the center. It should look like an X. If you wait too long after dispatching the oozes they continue to spawn.
- Getting There Objective Details
- 2) 1st Furnace (Southern shaft lower level) on Map: Flame symbol left at three way
- Make your way down to the bottom east side of the South Pillar. This is the furnace area. Follow down the passage a short distance and it comes to a junction with 3 bridges. At this point the left bridge will be down. When you enter the left bridge room, it opens up with several trogs to fight. Pre-buffing with fire and acid resist as well as jump on whoever is going to go for the switch is helpful. The warlocks cast Melf’s and fireball. The fire elementals also cast fireball. Note: It’s not worth killing the fire elementals as they almost instantly respawn. Once you have killed the spawns at the bottom, there are several more up the ramps as you proceed. Also there are several valves that will turn off the acid and force traps. Make your way up to the top and flip the elemental control valve. This will put the elemental inside a protective force-field preventing him from casting on you and also completing the stage. There is an area at the very top that has a lever that opens the shrine below and a chest. There is a blue gem lever at the bottom, make sure you activate this before you leave the area, in order to get a chance at Muckdoom later!
- Getting There Objective Details
- 3) Security Center (Northern shaft upper level) on Map: nub with ")))" radiating right
- Make you way back up to the top of the North Pillar. The security Center has a number of Trogs inside it as well. Kill these off and then proceed to the wheels. Set the wheels to the symbols shown in The Pit Map above. Once you have all the wheels set to the appropriate symbols, throw the lever on the middle lower level by the purple wheel.
- Once you complete this step all the Force traps throughout the middle area will be armed and going off. There’s not much you can do other than stick together, use haste to get to your next location. Make sure you know where you are going and try to jump the traps as you go along.
- Near the collectable on the floor there is an open drain filled with water, at the end of a short swim is a chest.
- Objective Details
- 4) 2nd Furnace (Southern shaft lower level) on Map: flame symbol straight through three way
- Back to the furnace junction. This time it will be the straight ahead bridge to cross. Charming the fire elementals is quite helpful in order to keep them at bay while you are throwing the switches. Again, clear out the lower level of trogs, then have one person make their way to the top and throw the elemental control valve. There is an optional chest guarded at the very top guarded by four caster trogs. Don’t forget to turn the blue gem wheel on the bottom for your Muckdoom later!
- 5) Main Breaker Room (Southern shaft upper level) on Map: Lightning symbol branching at bottom
- Move to the middle level on the south side of the South Pillar. Having someone with evasion do this makes it a whole lot easier. Make sure they have lightning resist before they enter the room. Everyone else can wait outside and range kill any mobs that spawn in the room. Whoever is inside has to go and pull four random levers, just pull levers until the force field around the lever goes away. Pull the main lever at the back of the room. Have your cleric keep them healed as necessary. Bug: It is possible to walk around the right side of the room avoiding 2 lightning traps, jump onto the blue force field "protecting" the lever, flip the lever without flipping switches to deactivate lightning traps (Screenshot). There is a treasure chest to the east of this room, behind a Secret door with a high DC (Hard [Search DC:18]), with a randomly-appearing force trap triggered upon opening the chest. You can bypass the trap by moving to the side of the chest and edging forward until you can access the chest.
- 6) Main Control Room (Northern shaft lower level) on Map: on Map: Y shaped symbol
- Time to power up the main control room. Move to the lower level of the North Pillar. Inside this room slimes like to chain spawn. There are 4 floor puzzles that need to be completed. These are fairly straight-forward puzzles to solve. Make sure you have a couple of tanks with muckbanes on slime kill duty while you are turning completing the puzzles. Once the puzzles are complete time to move on. There is a shrine available at the entrance of this section
- 7) Bilge Control Room (Northern shaft lower level) on Map: Spike Trap looking symbol
- Make your way to the middle west side of the North Pillar. Access the bilge control room. There is a hidden room along here with a shrine in it. This part will feel very painless compared to everything else. At the end of this tunnel is one lever, give it a pull and you’re done.
- 8) 3rd Furnace (Southern shaft lower level) on Map: Flame Symbol right at three way
- Here we are back again at the furnaces. This time from the junction you want to take the right path. Inside here you need to split your party. Use the valves to catapult our party up. From there follow it around. Once you are almost to the top, one person will again have to stay behind on one of the wooden platforms to use the valve to send up the rest of your party. Or this can be done in one shot from the first vent in the north east corner of the room. Stand on the back of the vent facing north-north-west and have someone pull the valve. Aim to land on the pipe that connects to the platform the elemental is on. A quick run to the left, hop on the platform and hit the switch. Once you flip the switch for the elemental control valve, if you go around that column and look across, you will see another small platform with a valve. Up inside there are 2 chests, but be aware 3 mobs spawn when you open those chests up. At best you can send up 2 people, so perhaps you want to drop a Cloudkill then send someone to run up open the chest and drop back down while cloudkill does its work. I usually bypass these chests; it's a real pain to get everyone up to them with all the control valves and mobs constantly re-spawning below. Don’t forget to turn the blue gem wheel for your Muckdoom later!
- 9) Intake Control Center (Northern shaft upper level) on Map Half Moon symbol
- You want to go to the top of the north pillar, and then across the wood bridge to the far side of it on the east side of the North Pillar. The easiest way to do this is have your Wizard/Sorcerer cast Cloudkill on the upper platforms before you trigger the room. I like to fight at the top of the steps with solid fog and cloudkill on the steps. As soon as you enter the middle of the room, it triggers part of the room to spawn. Send one person in, trigger it and move back to the top of the steps. Once mobs on both side platforms are dead in the room, I like to trigger the switches on either side one at time. As you approach the switches it will trigger spawns. Move back to the steps and kill them. Once you have killed mobs on both sides, pull the switches one at a time. Pulling them also triggers spawns. Having done both switches move to the wheel and activate. This will complete the quest. Once everyone loots the chests, don’t finish out, you still might be able to grab yourself a Muckdoom!
- Muck's Doom chest (Northern shaft very bottom)
- Getting all 3 blue valves in the furnace section (step 4, above) opens this area. Make sure everyone has fire resist up. Drop down to the very bottom of the pit. The gated area should be open for you now. Kill off any slimes here, then enter into the gated area. As you approach, Avatar of Juiblex will spawn. Kill him and loot his chest. If you are lucky you’ll get yourself a Muck's Doom.
- Much of the walkthrough posted by Drakkip
- Navigating the Pit, quick walkthrough
1. Getting to the Backup Generator Room: Featherfall on the walkway immediately below the Entrance Room → Go up → Pass the Main Breaker Room → Go right at the acid trap → Go up.
2. Getting to the 1st Furnace: Featherfall towards the lowest walkway in the SE corner.
3. Getting to the Security Center Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go right at the intersection → Go up → Pass the Entrance Room → Go up.
4. Getting to the 2nd Furnace: Featherfall towards the lowest walkway in the SE corner.
5. Getting to the Main Breaker Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go left at the intersection → Go up.
6. Getting to the Main Control Room: Featherfall towards the lowest walkway in the NW corner.
7. Getting to the Bilge Control Room: Go up → Pass the Furnace Rooms → Go up.
8. Getting to the 3rd Furnace: Featherfall on the walkway immediately below the Bilge Control Room → Go up.
9. Getting to the Intake Control Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go right at the intersection → Go up → Pass the Entrance Room → Pass the Security Center Room → Cross the bridge.
- Navigating the Pit, quick walkthrough on how to get to any room if you get lost
Reach the Furnaces by featherfalling towards the lowest walkway in the SE corner. To get from the Furnaces to:
- the Main Control Room: Go down.
- the Bilge Control Room: Go up.
- the Entrance Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go right at the intersection → Go up.
- the Security Center Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go right at the intersection → Go up → Pass the Entrance Room → Go up.
- the Intake Control Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go right at the intersection → Go up → Pass the Entrance Room → Pass the Security Center Room → Cross the bridge.
- the Main Breaker Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go left at the intersection → Go up.
- the Backup Generator Room: Go up → Pass the Bilge Control Room → Go left at the intersection → Go up → Pass the Main Breaker Room → Go right at the acid trap → Go up.
Tips and Misc
Nothing, please share your tips and advice with us.
- Aggression bonus: 89 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 116 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 142 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 39 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 51 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 62 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The puzzle room monsters will respawn until you solve all 4 puzzles. The third furnace room will also respawn the monsters on the bottom floor until you finish that area. The bottom of the pit will continue to respawn oozes about every 3-4 minutes.
- Chests: 9
- 1 at the shrine in the first Furnace room
- 1 int the Security Center, down the submerged pipe
- 1 in the second Furnace room (follow a different pipe on the top level over to a platform with ladders leading up; guarded by several troglodyte preachers)
- 1 optional for killing High Priest Shylssass (Troglodyte caster, found in the Breaker room)
- 2 in the third Furnace room (at northwest corner there is an additional air jet that will launch you to a secret room with 2 chests which spawn a red named (mini-boss) (Chieftain Ryssyssal) and 2 troglodyte preachers; once spawned, they can be easily firewalled from the pipe leading to the air jet which launches you in if the chest opener drops back down)
- 2 at the end
- 1 optional for killing Avatar of Juiblex (Ooze)
- Collectables: 4
- Adventurer's Pack in the room at the top of the first furnace room (near the valve that unlocks the shrine)
- Rubble in the alcove with the shrine in the first furnace room
- Crude Altar on the bottom level of the security chamber
- Rubble on the floor of the third furnace room
- NPC rewards: Up to level 6 weapons
Named Chest Drop
Extension:DynamicPageList (DPL), version 2.3.0 : Warning: No results.
- Video Walkthrough:
- Text Instructions:
- grimordes blog