The Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos
From DDO wiki
Considering the filth in which most kobolds live, you expect their prisons to be unpleasant indeed.
|The Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos|
|Takes place in:||Clan Gnashtooth Prison|
|Bestowed by:||The Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth|
|NPC contact:||Guard Tember|
|Quest acquired in:||The Harbor|
|Patron:||The Coin Lords|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Part 2 of the Lost Seekers story arc.
Find Arlos ar-Kerran in the prison of Clan Gnashtooth and free him from captivity.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Free Alros ar-Kerran from Clan Gnashtooth's prison
- Escort Arlos to the exit
- (Failure) Do not let Arlos be slain
- Gather the whole party safely at the prison exit
- (Optional) Free Clan Gnashtooth's other prisoners - 3 total Heroic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Gnashtooth Bloodletter Heroic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Destroy the zombie remnants of Clan Gnashtooth's victims - 9 total Heroic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Chef Kraskuth Heroic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Warden Arkik Heroic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free Clan Gnashtooth's hidden prisoners - 2 total Heroic: +15% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Trap (fixed)
- Quest failure (if Arlos dies)
- Protect an NPC (mandatory: Arlos)
- Rune (optional: requires an INT check)
- Randomly placed NPCs (optional: 4 prisoners)
- Spike trap before the second valve-locked door.
Tips and Misc
- You don't have to do this quest immediately on the heels of the previous one; if you leave and go back to the same sewer entrance, you'll start with this quest instead.
- "You must not leave until you free Arlos and gather your party safely in the hallway!" - a character leaving early will fail this quest for everyone.
- From the central bridgepad there are 3 bridges that can be lowered, but lowering one will raise the others (the exit, north, does not raise). Jumping into the water allows access to the pad via a ladder on the northeast side (or a very good Jump skill).
- The South bridge leads to the lower prison hall, the West bridge leads to the upper prison hall. These are connected via a ramp, so either one works fine (although some players prefer to start up high for a slight tactical advantage).
- The optional East bridge leads to the two rest shrines, the optional prisoners, several chests and a serious fight.
- Once you lower a bridge and fight your way a bit into the prison, retreat and kill the kobolds who have respawned behind you, both near the prison entrance and on the bridge pad. They will not respawn again and will be one less thing to clear out once you find Arlos.
- The lever for opening the lower level prisons is across the southern bridge just before the first turn; the one for the upper level is across the western just after that turn.
- The ramp which directly connects the two prison levels is hidden behind two secret doors (one at each end). However, in their eagerness to confront the players, the Kobolds will usually have opened them both, well before the party reaches either.
- Arlos spawns in a random prison cell.
- Arlos, like many characters who need protection in various quests, is an idiot. Stash him somewhere safe and scout ahead to make sure the way is clear, or he will run into the fray and most likely get himself killed, failing the quest.
- If you somehow manage to lose Arlos (for example, if he falls into the water in the bridge area) and you have not failed the quest because of his death, check the cell he was in for him to respawn.
- Arlos cannot be hurt by the spike trap.
- Chef Kraskuth may show up in the first room to the east.
- Gnashtooth Bloodletter shows up at the end of the eastern hallway. Careful going into that room; kobolds will shut the gate and split the party if you don't go in together or stop them from going for the lever. If you get trapped outside the room, the gate will raise automatically after a minute or so.
- Warden Arkik shows up on the upper level of the prison, in one of the open cells near the corner.
- In the central room, with the four bridges, there is an underwater door beneath the southern bridge. This leads to the zombie room. It can be a long swim for low level characters with no underwater action items, but should be doable even for bad swimmers if armor is removed.
- To max out bonus experience (both for kills and breakables), you must clear this area.
- The hidden prisoners are in the southeast corner of the map; the Intelligence rune to free them requires an INT of 13 (Int 11 failed on Elite).
- Make sure to talk to Guard Tember after you leave the dungeon, before heading off to chapter 3.
- Aggression bonus: 56 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 73 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 89 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 55 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 72 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 88 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 5 - 7
- 1 in the eastern corridor, in an alcove at the south-turning bend, behind some barrels
- 2 optional for killing Gnashtooth Bloodletter (Kobold, found in the last room down the eastern corridor)
- 1 in an alcove behind a secret door (Search 10 or more required), down the western corridor, across from the prison gate valve
- 1 in the zombie room, past the underwater passage
- 1 optional for killing Chef Kraskuth (Kobold, doesn't always spawn, found in the first room to the east)
- 1 optional for killing Warden Arkik (Kobold, found in an alcove in the top-half of the prison)
- Collectables: Six
- Cabinet in the first dead-end, to the east
- Rubble with the hidden prisoners
- Rubble by the southern shrine (behind the secret door)
- Mushroom in an alcove down the southern passage
- Mushroom in the lower level of the prison, along the western wall
- Adventurer's Pack in the zombie room, past the underwater passage
- NPC rewards: None until after finishing the quest chain
|Gnashtooth Bloodletter (view)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Chef Kraskuth (view)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Warden Arkik (view)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Kobold Shaman (view)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Kobold Thrower (view)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Kobold Warrior (view)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Rotting Dwarf Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Rotting Half-elf Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Rotting Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|