The Cursed Crypt
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 3|
Maldetto's powers focus on mind control and destroying his enemies will. Given time, he can break through even the strongest of minds.
|The Cursed Crypt|
|Takes place in:||The Cursed Crypt|
|Bestowed by:||Sir Pythias the Radiant|
|NPC contact:||Sir Pythias the Radiant|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
You (or at least one person in your group) have to have all of 4 Litany of the Dead Part 3 pre-quests completed to open this quest instance. It is popular among players to have one of their alt characters keep flagged for this quest as permanent "opener", to get necklace update whenever they want.
- Speak to the survivor
- Find the jeweled key
- Destroy Maldetto's projections (Kill 2)
- Darken the skulls
- Defeat Maldetto
- Acquire The Black Prophecy
- Investigate the East altar
- Defeat the Brimstone Gatekeeper
- Open the spectre's prison
- Defeat the Brimstone Gatekeeper to free the spectres
- Investigate the West altar
- Defeat the Brimstone Gatekeeper
- Access the second floor
- Kill no more than five Silver Flame
- Do not linger in the crypt (60 minutes limit)
- (Optional) Rescue the 5 Silver Flame Officers: (10% of base XP)
- (Optional) Speak to the Silver Flame Commander: (5% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Maldetto without killing a single Silver Flame: (40% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Collapsible floors
- Point of no return
- Overlapping floors
- Timed quest (60 minutes)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest item (mandatory: Key)
- Randomly placed NPCs (optional: 5 Silver Flame Officers)
- Quest failure (if more than 4 Silver Flame are killed or if the Black Prophecy is not picked up before the time runs out)
- Requires extra player(s)/hireling(s) or Haste and Feather Fall (2 levers have to be pulled almost simultaneously to allow access through a fast closing door)
Falling floors, Spikes, Grease, Force, Acid pool
Tips and Misc
- Healing Maldetto kills him quickly (which helps out those who cannot crowd control the Silver Flame mobs around him).
- Invisibility works to get him to come alone initially when you approach his altar.
- Note that a big chunk of this quest's experience comes from not killing a single Silver Flame member.
This quest is timed - you have 60 minutes to complete it from the time you step in, so be sure everyone steps in together. Be sure everyone has their Silver Flame or Emerald Claw necklace or trinket before they hop in.
If you avoid killing any of the Silver Flame agents, speak to the captain at the end to get an extra chest. Flesh to Stone is great crowd control against the Silver Flame agents, as they are immune to mind affecting spells. It is also advised that no pets be summoned at the start of the quest, since they will attack any enemy they see, including Silver Flame.
Move in and clear out the large entry hall. Head west first. You will get to a closed gate, and a spectre will pop up out of the floor, telling you it is going to help you. Two ghosties fly slowly off, follow the west one first. It will open the gate up the hall to head further in. (The other ghost will be doing the same on the east side of the crypt.) Clear out the halls on this side, until you reach a large room full of small cells. The map is not symmetrical, but the concept is basically the same on the other side. Both sides also have shrines. Your job is to look through the cells for a chest with a key in it. You will not be able to see the chest without opening the door. There is also a loot chest in one of the cells, which you can scope from outside. In some of the cells are prisoners being tortured, who you can free for optional XP. In other cells are bad guys, who you can kill. In a few cells are Silver Flame guys who have been mentally enslaved. Be careful not to kill them. They are immune to mind affecting abilities and spells, though Web will slow them down. Once you find the jeweled key, head back to where you first met the ghost. You can now go into the closed gate there, and free all the ghosts.
Your two ghost buddies are sticking around. Travel back both west, then east. At the end of each hall you will find your ghost, who will teleport you through the gate (walk into the ghost) to an image of Maldetto the Vampire. The vampire is standing on an altar with Silver Flame adherents grovelling at his feet. The job is to kill the vampire without killing the Silver Flame guys. If you can get to him and encircle him right off the bat, it helps to begin the battle well. The Silver Flame guys will be curing him, casting Cometfall on you, and trying to beat you up. Direct damage spells like Magic Missile work well, since they can't hit the Silver Flame guys. Firewall and other AOE are very bad. It is possible to "body-pull" the Maldetto's projections by slowly sneaking directly towards him. When he speaks, stealthily retreat and you can avoid activating the Silver Flame. It is advisable to have only necessary individuals enter his room, and all but the one pulling him hide behind the pillars on the far side of the room from him. When everyone is hidden behind the pillars he will come to you and you can fight him (Heal, other cure wounds spells, and light based spells work great) without having to worry not to kill the Silver Flame. Once you drop him on one side, head to the other side and repeat the process. This will open up the way forward from the first main chamber, up to the second level.
The ramp up is trapped, be prepared. Clear out the top area. You will see a blocked way down with three lit skulls. In order to unlight the skulls you must head up the ramps. There are 3 chambers and an optional chest on the top level. The hallways to the far side chambers, and the hall with the chest, will have points that fall out. It is possible to prevent the falling of the floors by disarming them. There is a trapbox for each. The whole floor in front of the chest will fall out, once again, avoidable by disarming it. It is time consuming to try to get over to it. If you fall, you will land in a small holding cell. Defeat the minions or survive long enough and the floor will fall out again to the halls below where the shrines are.
Once you make it to the side chambers, you will see a catwalk going over a glowing green floor. You will fall through the green, even though the skeletons don't. The catwalks have force traps, so be careful. The two side tunnels are slightly different than the center. You must get to the end of the rampway, defeat the brimstone skeleton, and hit the altar. In the centerish route, you have two levers. The levers must be pulled at roughly the same time to lower the gate with the altar and the warden. (With Haste and Feather Fall (or a good Jump) it is possible for one person to throw both of these levers and make it to the chamber with the skeleton warden. See video.) The gate will close shortly after opening. Pull the guardian out first, dispatch him, then open it again to hit the altar. Once all three altars are lit, the way down is open. There is also a new shrine that appears next to the path down.
Down into the last chamber, where the vampire awaits with four more of his devout Silver Flame followers. Note: update after Mod 5 included a change where once you engage the vampire below, the path will seal behind you. This version of the vamp is meaner than his two aspects. The best way to defeat Maldetto and avoid the Silver Flame is to rest then buff everyone before dropping down. When everyone is buffed, everyone enters sneak mode and has feather fall on, then drops down through the south-east corner of the hole, and when you enter the larger room below continue to "fly" south-east so that you land in the dark corner in the south-east part of the room, still in sneak mode. Some ghosts will come attack you right away, kill them while staying in the corner. When they are dead, it is again possible to body-pull Maldetto and have the Silver Flame remain dormant. Kill him using the same methods as you used on his projections. Up to you. After defeating him, grab the book from the altar before time runs out. This stops the timer and then you can use the altar to upgrade your necklaces. It will do a single upgrade, no matter what stage you are currently at, to a maximum of the third upgrade. (The fourth is after defeating the Black Abbot in the Ascension Chamber). Also, a small room opens up in the south-west corner with a shrine. If you were good, and didn't kill any Silver Flame folk, talk to the Commander in the room here, and he will give you a bonus chest.
Thanks to Vorn of the DDO forums for some nice info about traps and the bonus chest.
Another nice walkthrough is available.
- Aggression bonus: 124 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 132 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 7 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Chests: Total 4
- 1 randomly placed in 1 room, in either the west or east cloister
- 1 at top floor behind falling floor trap
- 1 at the end (contains named loot)
- 1 additional for 0 Silver Flame kills
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
Accessories are ML11, armor and docent are ML10; bind to character on equip.
- Anathema - Ring: Magi, Evocation Focus, , , hidden effect: +25% threat from spells
- Bete Noir - Bracers: , Taint of Evil, — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3),
- Cloak of Curses - Cloak: Enchantment Focus, Chaotic Curse,
- Docent of Defiance - +4 Docent: , , , unlisted Defiance (5% chance each time you're hit of gaining DR 20/- and 90% movement penalty for 20 seconds)
- Jinx's Vexation - +5 Full plate: , , unlisted , (End chest)
- Scourge Choker - Necklace: , Blood Rage (End chest)
- Black Wolves
- Brimstone Butchers
- Brimstone Servitors
- Eternal Hunters
- Eternal Warriors
- Eternal Wizards
- Lost Souls
- Maldetto Devotees
- Maldetto Disciples
- Maldetto Thralls
- Twisted Souls
- Brimstone Gate Keeper - Red-named skeleton
- Maldetto - Red-named vampire; end boss
- Silver Flame Elite Templar - Named human
- Silver Flame Friar - Named human
- Silver Flame Paladin - Named human
- Silver Flame Scout - Named halfling
- Silver Flame Soldier - Named human
- Silver Flame War Priest - Named human
- Silver Flame Warrior - Named human