Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Requires access to : Ruins of Gianthold|
The Crucible serves as a deadly and dangerous proving ground for aspirants of the Storm's Fist.
|Takes place in:||The Crucible|
|Quest acquired in:||Gianthold|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Free to Play:||No|
Jorgundal, leader of the Storm's Fist Brigade told you, 'So, you wish to join the Storm's Fist Brigade. You look pretty scrawny, but no worry, if you fail, it will at least give the boys some sport. Head to the Crucible inside Gianthold. There you'll find my personal training ground. Pass and you'll be an official member.'
- Reaching Hobgoblin Encampment Entrance automatically bestows quest. (U17 change)
- Prior to Update 17, completing the quest will make you a member of the Storm's Fist Brigade and opened a teleport option into the Gianthold wilderness. Update 17 revised Gianthold and all flagging quests, removing "The Crucible" as a flagging quest for the raid, "The Reaver's Fate." You no longer need to run this quest to flag for "The Reaver's Fate." You must now run "A Cabal for One", "Madstone Crater" and "Prison of the Planes" to flag for "Gianthold Tor" and open the Heroic raid. The Epic counterpart for "The Fall of Truth" uses the same locales with renamed versions of these same quests, such as "Return to Cabal for One".
- Speak to Jorgundal, commander of the Storm's Fist
- Speak to the champions, then return to Jorgundal
- (Optional) Convince Vrall the Fearless to betray Harza Ghost Waker +0% Bonus.
- (Optional) Get the sabotaged map from Daggertooth +0% Bonus.
- (Optional) Give the sabotaged map to Gorn Gut-Chewer +0% Bonus.
- (Optional) Trick Daggertooth into searching for the poisoned treasure +0% Bonus.
- (Optional) Bribe the kobold gatekeeper to 'lose' Daggertooth's armor +0% Bonus.
- Find the Horn of Cunning
- Find the Horn of Agility
- Find the Horn of Instinct
- Find the Horn of Endurance
- Fight your way to the Arena of Power
- Defeat the Storm's Fist champions in the Arena
- Speak to Jorgundal about joining the Storm's Fist Horde
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- Collapsible floors
- Overlapping floors
- Maze (fixed layout)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzle (mandatory: puzzle wheels)
- Multi-elemental triggered when you pick up the Horn of Cunning (Can be disabled)
- Huge amount of mechanical traps to test you in the Trial of Agility (Cannot be disabled)
- Spinning blade traps to kill you if you fail the Test of Instinct (Cannot be disabled)
- Spike traps to impale you if you perform poorly in the Test of Endurance (Cannot be disabled)
Tips and Misc
A good group for this quest includes a character with Evasion and high reflex save, characters with high intimidate and diplomacy and a character with low wisdom.
- Talk to the Champions: (Skill DC table)
- Daggertooth (gnoll) requires diplomacy and gives you a map. This map is false and will send you through a false path after the test of agility, dropping you to your death. You can give this map to Gorn.
- Vrall the Fearless (hobgoblin) also requires diplomacy to convince him that the hobgoblins don't need two leaders. If you succeed, you'll find Harza beaten up by the test of instinct. If you fail, you have to fight them both in the arena.
- Gorn Gut-Chewer (orc) can be tricked to take Daggertooth's map, forcing his army to misstep and drop all the false floor in the path after the test of agility. An intimidate check grants you information on a cursed treasure in the underwater tunnel.
- Daggertooth can be bluffed to tell his gnolls to check the cursed treasure that hold the Gold Key. If you succeed, the gnolls guarding the Horn of Endurance will drop the key once defeated. If you fail, the key will still be on the treasure, forcing you to take the curse to get a hold on the key.
- Test of Cunning: This is a very confusing maze with three levers controlling doors. This is made worse by the mobs on top of the walls tossing spells down at you. The Horn of Cunning is in the central room, you will need to find 3 crests (Bat, Scorpion and Snake) and put them in sockets in order to unlock it. Be aware, the floor will collapse when you pickup the horn.
- Bribe the kobold gatekeeper to 'lose' Daggertooth's armor
- Requires diplomacy and 100 plat
- Test of Agility: This is a timed run. One person should stay outside and pull the lever. The second person enters, must run through 2 rooms filled with traps, and pass the door in the second room before the white light goes out. Once you make it, wait for door to close before taking the Horn of Dexterity to prevent a condition where you are trapped. Evasion makes it easier but this can be done by any class, with good twitch skills. A shrine is available at this point.
- Tip: Target the horn, then jump and hit E to pick it up in mid air to avoid the initial traps.
- If the test is failed: All players inside must exit for it to reset.
- Only the player who is making the run should enter. The rest should wait outside near the switch.
- Bug: If you are too quick, you can lock yourself inside the room with the horn, as picking it up will toggle the door, and thus close it if it is still open. To prevent this, simply wait at the horn until the door closes, then pick it up, which will trigger the traps and open the door.
- Workaround: If you are locked in the room with the Horn, let one of the traps kill you, you can resurrect yourself at the nearby shrine. This will open the door and allow you to try again, next time ensure the door is closed before you get the horn. If the traps have stopped and you have no way of dying, recall out of the quest and re-enter, the door will open and horn will drop at your feet and you'll be able to try again. Do not attempt to manually drop the horn - you cannot, you will just destroy it and permanently break the quest.
- Cracking down path: The floor through this hallway will collapse in sections as you move through it. A Kobold will show you the way when you've successfully gotten the map at the beginning, making this much easier. You must allow him to approach the path before any players do for this to work. You will also need to fight some orcs on the way.
- Test of Instinct: Horn of Instinct is inside 1 of the 6 doors. The doors are numbered, clockwise, from the left as you enter (the numbers are written in roman numerals on the floor in front of each door). The Tome at the center will give you hints, according to your wisdom score.
- If you guess the wrong door, there are many traps (cold, fire, pierce, slash, poison)
- Note that the hints specify which doors not to open. The hints don't specifically say which door is safe, they just eliminate unsafe doors. Keep reading and you'll get up to three hints. Here are three hints given to a high wisdom character:
- You sense that the fifth door hides death. (This eliminates door #5)
- You sense that the doors nearest the book hide death. (This eliminates door #2 and #5)
- You sense that the odd-numbered doors hide death. (This eliminates door #1, #3 and #5)
- So only door #4 and #6 are possible, you're left with a 50/50 choice at this point
- Further attempts to read the book don't give more clues, just the message You develop no further intuitions regarding the doors
- One method is to get a member with lowest wisdom (usually classes like fighter) and have him/her read the tome. Do the OPPOSITE of what the book hints at The lowest WIS score gets a false hint, the other party members get a truthful one
- All are false so door #3 was the correct door:
- You sense that the third door hides death. (if false means door 3 is safe)
- You sense that the doors nearest the exit hide death. (if false means 3 or 4 is safe)
- You sense that the right-hand doors hide death. (if false means 1, 2, or 3 is safe)
- All are false so door #3 was the correct door:
- Wisdom checks:
- heroic casual
- 40 wisdom gave correct hints
- heroic normal
- 17 wisdom gave false hints
- heroic elite
- 14 WIS (not lowest of party) got false hint, roll of 30 failed trap
- heroic casual
- Upper area of the maze: You will have to clear the gnoll casters before you can do anything here. (watch out for their Sleet Storm!) Once the room is clear, one player should go to the lever in southeast corner, the rest of the party should go to the colored wheels in the other corners (Red, Blue, Green). Once the party is ready, the first player should pull the lever, and the gems above the runes will light up (Red, Blue, Green). The wheels at each corner of the room will need to be set to the rune under its color. This must be completed before the runes reset. At least on normal, one player can run and set the wheels if they run fast. You have about 30 seconds before the door checks to see if all 3 wheels are correct.
- Pulling the lever at the north entrance resets all wheels to the 'F' rune. When the southeast lever is pulled, count from the left to where the colored light is, then subtract one that's how many clicks the matching colored wheel needs to make. When all the wheels match the runes at the southwest lever, the gate opens
- Test of Endurance: You have to swim through an underwater tunnel filled with spikes. The Horn of Endurance and a key for a locked chest is guarded by a group of gnolls. Letting a rogue or caster type solo/duo this is a typical strategy (sneak past them or hypnotize them and leave). There is a stuck point to the right of the gnolls which you don't want to jump into. This part is great with a strong swimmer, there are many spikes and very difficult. You can also Dimension Door out if you're a mage-type after you get the horn.
- Underwater Water-flow Control Valve: Underwater, in the river you have to pass through to get to the Test of Agility, in the southwest corner there is in a small alcove, (behind some stone pillars) with a valve. Using this valve stops the flow of water making the swim through an underwater tunnel easier for the swimmers during the Test of Endurance. The valve resets every ~10 seconds, stationing a party member there is required to monitor and use the valve again when the water flow starts. Using the valve can make the Test of Endurance more manageable if your party is having trouble with the swim. Caution: If the party member misses the opening to the valve they may be sucked to their death by the giant fan which controls the water flow.
- The treasure key is in the "Glittering Treasure". It is trapped as well with a combination curse/poison effect, so be prepared to neutralize both effect (curse/poison pots work nicely).
- At the T-junction near the northern end of the swim, there is a lever on the right. Pulling it briefly opens the wall behind the fan to the NE of the lever. Inside is an unlocked (as least on heroic elite, update 20) chest.
- Extended Merfolk's Blessing and Water Breathing will last the length of the swim.
- Fight them in the Arena: There are a lot of mobs on the way to the arena. Don't use charm spells, as clearing them all is required. (Or use charm spells and dispel charms one at a time). Then shrine up, go in the arena, firewall bosses, then talk to the giant to get credit and get chests.
- This quest can be soloed with a hireling. If you know how to navigate the maze, have the hireling hold ground at each lever and set them to Passive stance to prevent them from running around and attacking the Windlashers above. Important: Make sure Auto-targeting is disabled or you can easily trap yourself behind the doors! Keep each switch you need to turn selected and order the hireling to turn it. You will have to pick up the crests manually using the mouse. Make sure your final exit path is clear using the map or you will trap yourself in.
- The level 11 fighter hireling, Mikayl the Pious, can use Dimension Door twice per rest, giving you more leeway if you make a mistake and get trapped.
- If you die during the swim, you can call your hireling to you. The cleric and FvS hirelings are able to raise you underwater.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 119 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 155 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 190 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 5
- 1 in the NE corner of the maze
- 1 locked in an underwater cave (opened by key only, the key is found near the Horn of Endurance, in an adjacent cave)
- 3 at the end
- NPC rewards: Standard, Select from 10, Up to 13 level accessories, up to 12 level weapons and armors.
Named Chest Drop
- ML12: ,
- ML13: , ,
- ML14: , - Diamond of
- ML23: , - Diamond of , - Diamond of
- ML24: , - Diamond of , - Diamond of
- ML25: , - Diamond of , - Diamond of
- ML11: Double-click to upgrade an item with a +20 Vitality Bonus to Hit Points. This augment can go into any color Augment Slot.
- ML12: 1.75[1d6], 20/x3, , , ,
- ML13: 2[1d6], 20/x3, , , ,
- ML14: 2[1d6], 20/x3, , , ,
- ML23: 3[1d6], 20/x3, , , ,
- ML24: 3.25[1d6], 20/x3, , , ,
- ML25: 3.5[1d6], 20/x3, , , ,
- ML12: Balance +10, Striding +20%, Colorless Augment Slot
- ML13: Balance +11, Striding +25%, Colorless Augment Slot
- ML14: Balance +13, Striding +30%, Colorless Augment Slot
- ML23: Balance +17, Striding +30%, Feat: Mobility,
- ML24: Balance +20, Striding +30%, Feat: Mobility,
- ML25: , , ,
- ML12: [2d4], , , ,
- ML13: 1.25[2d4], , , ,
- ML14: 1.5[2d4], , , ,
- ML23: 2.0[2d4], , , , ,
- ML24: 2.5[2d4], , , , ,
- ML25: 2.5[2d4], , , , ,
|Daggertooth the Naked (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Gorn Gut-Chewer (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Harza Ghost-Waker (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Vrall the Fearless (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Arzag-Khor Loremaster (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Arzag-Khor Shaman (NoPic)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Cloven-Jaw Veteran (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Cloven-Jaw Warlord (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
- You can repeat all skill rolls until you roll a 20, thus you can pass as long as your skill is equal or larger than (DC-20).
- Skills checks only use your base skill value, but can still be repeated (in case you get a buff to the relevant skill, you can try again).
|Heroic DC table|
|Epic DC table|