Tangleroot Gorge map *spoilers*
To the southwest of Stormreach lies the untamed Tangleroot Gorge. Home to many fierce hobgoblin and bugbear tribes, Tangleroot Gorge also contains the infamous Hobgoblin fortress of Splinterskull.
Tangleroot Gorge is accessed via a caravan lead by Wransyl of Vedykar located in the northwest of House Phiarlan. This will take you to the The One-Eared Bugbear Inn, which is the entrance to the Wilderness Adventure Area.
Tangleroot Gorge has a level 4 Wilderness Adventure Area, allowing characters from levels 2 through 7 full XP rewards.
Points of Interest
The Assault on Splinterskull story arc of quests all take place in this zone, in addition to the Rare Encounter / Slayer / Explorer quests. This story arc is often just referred to as "Tangleroot" and rewards House Phiarlan favor.
Due to the wide range of quest levels in the chain ( ♦3-7Normal ♥4-8Hard ♠5-9Elite), getting full XP in one run is extremely difficult.
Accessories are ML5, weapons and armor are ML6; Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire unless otherwise stated.
- Black Wolfskin Belt - Belt: Constitution +3 Constitution +3: This item gives the wearer improved health, granting a +3 enhancement bonus to Constitution., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Black Wolfskin Cloak - Cloak: Green Augment SlotBlue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Resistance +2 Resistance +2: Passive: +2 Resistance bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will Saving Throws., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Cold Resistance +10Cold Resistance +10: Passive: +10 Enhancement bonus to your Cold Resistance.
- Blademaster Bracers - Bracers: Dexterity +3 Dexterity +3: This item makes the wearer more nimble and dexterous, granting a +3 enhancement bonus to Dexterity., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Blademaster Gauntlets - Gloves: Strength +3 Strength +3: This item gives the wearer the power of Ogre Strength, granting a +3 enhancement bonus to Strength., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Crimson Gemstone - Trinket: Wizardry IIWizardry II: This item grants the wearer +50 maximum spell points. Sorcerers and Favored Souls gain up to double spell points from items., Colorless Augment SlotColorless Augments
- Fanged Wraps - +3 Handwraps: ViciousVicious: On Hit: 2 to 12 Bane Damage to your target and 1 to 3 Bane Damage to yourself. (Bane damage cannot be resisted.), RibcrackerRibcracker: On Critical Hit: 3 to 18 Bludgeoning damage from weapons with a x2 Critical Multiplier, 3 to 24 damage from weapons with a x3 Critical Multiplier, and 3 to 30 damage from weapons with a x4 or Greater Multiplier., Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments, Bound to Character on EquipBound to Character on Equip: This item is Bound to Character on Equip
- Fist of Daarguul - +3 Club 1.50[1d8]: Lesser Goblinoid BaneLesser Goblinoid Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Goblinoids, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +1 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 1 to 6 points of damage against the foe., Intimidate +7Intimidate +7: Passive: +7 Competence bonus to the Intimidate skill., Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments
- Krugg's Spiked Boots - Boots: Striding +10%Striding +10%: Makes the wearer more fleet of foot, giving a 10% bonus to run speed., Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments with Resistance +2 Resistance +2: Passive: +2 Resistance bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will Saving Throws.
- Khyber's Fury - Rune Arm: Exploding Fire Shot (Maximum Charge Tier: II), Fortification +75%Fortification +75%: +75% Enhancement bonus to reduced chance of taking critical damage on a critical hit., Rune Arm Imbue: Fire I, Craftable Rune Arm (+3) (ML: 5)
- Lhor-Tragu's Shadowed Armor - +2 Leather Armor: ML6, Hide +5Hide +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Hide skill., Move Silently +5Move Silently +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Move Silently skill., Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Spider Silk Robe - Robe: Armor Bonus +5Armor Bonus +5: This item surrounds the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting +5 armor bonus to AC, just as though he were wearing armor., Axeblock IIAxeblock II: Passive: Reduces physical damage taken by 4, except from Bludgeoning or Piercing weapons. (Damage Reduction: 4/Pierce, Bludgeon), Move Silently +5Move Silently +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Move Silently skill., Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Splinterskull Acolyte Ring - Ring: Devotion +42Devotion +42: Passive: +42 Equipment bonus to Positive (Healing) Spell Power., Nullification +42Nullification +42: Passive: +42 Equipment bonus to Negative (Necrotic) Spell Power., Colorless Augment SlotColorless Augments
- Splinterskull Chainmail - +3 Chainmail: Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Splinterskull Docent - +4 Docent: Green Augment SlotBlue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Totemic Staff of Splinterskull - +3 Quarterstaff: Summon Monster IIISummon Monster III
Caster level: 5
Charges: 3 (3/day) — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments, Purple Augment SlotRed AugmentsBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Visor of the Flesh Render Guards - Goggles: Death WardDeath Ward
Caster level: 7
Charges: 1 (1/day) — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1)
- Warmaster Halfplate - +3 Half plate: Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Whisperdoom's Fang - +3 Dagger 1.50[1d6]: Enfeebling, Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments
- Yarkuch's Greatsword - +3 Greatsword 1.50[2d6]: Elf BaneElf Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Elves, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2 to 12 points of damage against the foe., Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments
- Yarkuch's Helm - Helm: Charisma +1 Charisma +1: This item makes the wearer have more flair, granting a +1 enhancement bonus to Charisma., Intelligence +1 Intelligence +1: This item focuses the power of the wearer's mind, granting a +1 enhancement bonus to Intelligence., Will Save +2 Will Save +2: This item gives a +2 Resistance bonus to your Will saves.
- Zulkash's Bone Necklace - Necklace: Nullification +42Nullification +42: Passive: +42 Equipment bonus to Negative (Necrotic) Spell Power., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Intelligence +2 Intelligence +2: This item focuses the power of the wearer's mind, granting a +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence.
NOTE: Named items that can appear on this quest arc's end reward list will have a 100% chance of appearing on every third completion of the story arc.
Each Rare Encounter is worth 350 XP; the bonus for finding all of them is 1575 XP. Subsequent encounters will give 116 XP.
- Slay Silkweave, spider queen
- Slay Jarak, bugbear master assassin
- Slay Xassak, troglodyte hero
- Rescue Jana, the lost barmaid
- Slay Kroksh, the wandering giant
- Kill Clamor, the slayer of hunters
- Slay Vilesting, the fiendish scorpion
- Slay Kornak, the tribal mage
- Slay Gharjat, Commander of Splinterskull
- The instance contains about 108 total mobs per reset/run.
- Slay 10 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 205 XP = 20.5 xp/kill
- Slay 25 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 287 XP = 11.48 xp/kill
- Slay 50 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 415 XP = 8.3 xp/kill
- Slay 100 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 682 XP = 6.82 xp/kill
- Slay 200 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 1,210 XP = 6.05 xp/kill
- Slay 400 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 2,290 XP = 5.73 xp/kill
- Slay 750 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 4,019 XP = 5.36 xp/kill
- Slay 1,500 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 8,707 XP = 5.8 xp/kill
Each Explorer is worth 175 XP, the bonus for finding all of them is 568 XP.
- Find the far side of the broken bridge - Across the gorge you see the One-Eared Bugbear Inn and the other side of the broken bridge.
- Find the temple ruins - Temple ruins rise out of the riverbed, remnants of some long forgotten civilization.
- Discover the wolf hunter's fate - You see the grim remains of the wolf hunter, whose felled corpse rests trophy-like in the wolf den.
- Find the hobgoblin scout post - This hobgoblin scout post is the first line of defense for keeping intruders out of Tangleroot.
- Find the hobgoblin battle ram - This hobgoblin battle ram blasted open the gateways of many forts and towns, making way for merciless hobgoblin invaders.
- Find Chief Ungurz' camp - The hobgoblins here do not seem hostile. In fact, their chief beckons you closer.
- Find the sacrificial site - From the blood and the bones piled here, this is a sacred place to the troglodytes; a sacrificial site.
- Find the overgrown fortress - An ancient fortress, half-overwhelmed by the jungle. The scratches and stains around it say bugbears dwell here.
- Find the webbed caves - These ruins are overgrown with webs. A fetid stench wafts from within.
- Find the lair of burning skulls - Something more than worgs lives in this cavern. The markings on the stone make that clear.
- Find the bone-strewn lair - The bones and sloughed-off shells around this cave are sure signs of crawling menaces within.
- Find the submerged grotto - The river flows from this grotto, as does a horrid stink, which can have only one source: troglodytes!
- Find the mouth of Splinterskull - You have found the mouth of Splinterskull. The shouts of hobgoblins echo from within.
Flowering Plant x 11
- Before entering the Overgrown Fortress
- NW corner behind hobgoblin outpost (north side of Gorge)
- Behind the Battering Ram outpost, beside stairs to top of wall
- On the path, just after the first Burning Skulls marker
- Behind Chief Ungurz, beside the structure's door
- x2 Inside the Submerged Grotto
- At the northern split in the river
- At the entrance to the Bone Strewn Lair
- At the troglodyte Sacrificial Site
- Alongside the wall of the fortress, across the Gorge from the Ruined Temple