|Requires access to : Tangleroot Gorge|
To the southwest of Stormreach lies the untamed Tangleroot Gorge. Home to many fierce hobgoblin and bugbear tribes, Tangleroot Gorge also contains the infamous Hobgoblin fortress of Splinterskull.
Tangleroot Gorge is accessed via a caravan lead by Wransyl of Vedykar located in the northwest of House Phiarlan. This will take you to the The One-Eared Bugbear Inn, which is the entrance to the Wilderness Adventure Area.
Tangleroot Gorge has a level 4 Wilderness Adventure Area, allowing characters from levels 2 through 7 full XP rewards.
 The One-Eared Bugbear Inn
- Moritt Hastigal the Barkeep provides food and refreshments
- Brother de Bucci the Spirit binder
- Wransyl of Vedykar provides transport from Tangleroot Gorge back to House Phiarlan
- Emeric Quall gives the quest Seeking Chief Ungurz, precursor to Assault on Splinterskull
The Assault on Splinterskull story arc of quests all take place in this zone, in addition to the Rare Encounter / Slayer / Explorer quests. This story arc is often just referred to as "Tangleroot" and rewards House Phiarlan favor.
|Quest Name||Quest Level||Total Favor||Patron|
|First Strike||3||9||House Phiarlan||♣429||♦772||♥828||♠884|
|The Hobgoblins' Captives||3||9||House Phiarlan||♣456||♦820||♥880||♠940|
|Yarkuch's War-plans||4||9||House Phiarlan||♣597||♦1,070||♥1,145||♠1,220|
|Whisperdoom's Spawn||4||9||House Phiarlan||♣674||♦1,209||♥1,294||♠1,380|
|The Deadly Package: The Stronghold Key||5||9||House Phiarlan||♣767||♦1,369||♥1,460||♠1,550|
|The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul||5||9||House Phiarlan||♣475||♦846||♥900||♠953|
|Doom of the Witch-doctor: The Way to Zulkash||6||12||House Phiarlan||♣687||♦1,220||♥1,294||♠1,369|
|Doom of the Witch-doctor: Zulkash, Herald of Woe||6||12||House Phiarlan||♣726||♦1,290||♥1,369||♠1,448|
|The Last Move: The Way to Yarkuch||7||9||House Phiarlan||♣348||♦612||♥644||♠676|
|The Last Move: Yarkuch's Last Stand||7||12||House Phiarlan||♣708||♦1,252||♥1,324||♠1,396|
Due to the wide range of quest levels in the chain (), getting full XP in one run is extremely difficult.
 Reward List
Accessories are ML5, weapons and armor are ML6; unless otherwise stated.
- Black Wolfskin Belt - Belt: Constitution +3,
- Black Wolfskin Cloak - Cloak: with Resistance +2, with Cold Resistance +10
- Blademaster Bracers - Bracers: Dexterity +3,
- Blademaster Gauntlets - Gloves: Strength +3,
- Crimson Gemstone - Trinket: Wizardry II,
- Fanged Wraps - +3 Handwraps: , , ,
- Fist of Daarguul - +3 Club 1.50[1d8]: Lesser Goblinoid Bane, Intimidate +7,
- Krugg's Spiked Boots - Boots: Striding +10%, with Resistance +2
- Khyber's Fury - Rune Arm: Exploding Fire Shot (Maximum Charge Tier: II), Fortification 75%, Rune Arm Imbue: Fire I, Craftable Rune Arm (+3) (ML: 5)
- Lhor-Tragu's Shadowed Armor - +2 Leather Armor: ML6, Hide +5, Move Silently +5,
- Spider Silk Robe - Robe: Armor Bonus +5, Axeblock II, Move Silently +5,
- Splinterskull Acolyte Ring - Ring: Devotion +42, Nullification +42,
- Splinterskull Chainmail - +3 Chainmail:
- Splinterskull Docent - +4 Docent:
- Totemic Staff of Splinterskull - +3 Quarterstaff: , ,
- Visor of the Flesh Render Guards - Goggles:
- Warmaster Halfplate - +3 Half plate:
- Whisperdoom's Fang - +3 Dagger 1.50[1d6]: Enfeebling,
- Yarkuch's Greatsword - +3 Greatsword 1.50[2d6]: Elf Bane,
- Yarkuch's Helm - Helm: Charisma +1, Intelligence +1, Will Save +2
- Zulkash's Bone Necklace - Necklace: Nullification +42, with Intelligence +2
NOTE: Named items that can appear on this quest arc's end reward list will have a 100% chance of appearing on every third completion of the story arc.
Each Rare Encounter is worth 350 XP; the bonus for finding all of them is 1575 XP. Subsequent encounters will give 116 XP.
- Slay Silkweave, spider queen
- Slay Jarak, bugbear master assassin
- Slay Xassak, troglodyte hero
- Rescue Jana, the lost barmaid
- Slay Kroksh, the wandering giant
- Kill Clamor, the slayer of hunters
- Slay Vilesting, the fiendish scorpion
- Slay Kornak, the tribal mage
- Slay Gharjat, Commander of Splinterskull
- Slay 10 Tangleroot denizens: 205 XP, or 20.5 XP per kill.
- Slay 25 Tangleroot denizens: 287 XP, or 19.1 XP per kill.
- Slay 50 Tangleroot denizens: 415 XP, or 16.6 XP per kill.
- Slay 100 Tangleroot denizens: 682 XP, or 13.6 XP per kill.
- Slay 200 Tangleroot denizens: 1,210 XP, or 12.1 XP per kill.
- Slay 400 Tangleroot denizens: 2,290 XP, or 11.5 XP per kill.
- Slay 750 Tangleroot denizens: 4,019 XP, or 11.5 XP per kill.
- Slay 1500 Tangleroot denizens: 8,707 XP, or 11.6 XP per kill.
Each Explorer is worth 175 XP, the bonus for finding all of them is 568 XP.
- Find the far side of the broken bridge
- Find the temple ruins
- Discover the wolf hunter's fate
- Find the hobgoblin scount post
- Find the hobgoblin battle ram
- Find Chief Ungurz' camp
- Find the sacrificial site
 Dungeon Entrances
- Find the overgrown fortress
- Find the webbed caves
- Find the lair of burning skulls
- Find the bone-strewn lair
- Find the submerged grotto
- Find the mouth of Splinterskull
Monsters in the zone not found on the rare encounters list.