|Requires access to : Tangleroot Gorge|
To the southwest of Stormreach lies the untamed Tangleroot Gorge. Home to many fierce hobgoblin and bugbear tribes, Tangleroot Gorge also contains the infamous Hobgoblin fortress of Splinterskull.
Tangleroot Gorge is accessed via a caravan lead by Wransyl of Vedykar located in the northwest of House Phiarlan. This will take you to the The One-Eared Bugbear Inn, which is the entrance to the Wilderness Adventure Area.
Tangleroot Gorge has a level 4 Wilderness Adventure Area, allowing characters from levels 2 through 7 full XP rewards.
Points of Interest
- The One-Eared Bugbear Inn
- Chief Ungurz's camp
- Mouth of Splinterskull - quest entrance
The Assault on Splinterskull story arc of quests all take place in this zone, in addition to the Rare Encounter / Slayer / Explorer quests. This story arc is often just referred to as "Tangleroot" and rewards House Phiarlan favor.
|Quest Name||Quest Level||Total Favor||Patron|
|First Strike||3||9||House Phiarlan||♣429||♦772||♥828||♠884|
|The Hobgoblins' Captives||3||9||House Phiarlan||♣456||♦820||♥880||♠940|
|Yarkuch's War-plans||4||9||House Phiarlan||♣597||♦1,070||♥1,145||♠1,220|
|Whisperdoom's Spawn||4||9||House Phiarlan||♣674||♦1,209||♥1,294||♠1,380|
|The Deadly Package: The Stronghold Key||5||9||House Phiarlan||♣767||♦1,369||♥1,460||♠1,550|
|The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul||5||9||House Phiarlan||♣475||♦846||♥900||♠953|
|Doom of the Witch-doctor: The Way to Zulkash||6||12||House Phiarlan||♣687||♦1,220||♥1,294||♠1,369|
|Doom of the Witch-doctor: Zulkash, Herald of Woe||6||12||House Phiarlan||♣726||♦1,290||♥1,369||♠1,448|
|The Last Move: The Way to Yarkuch||7||9||House Phiarlan||♣348||♦612||♥644||♠676|
|The Last Move: Yarkuch's Last Stand||7||12||House Phiarlan||♣708||♦1,252||♥1,324||♠1,396|
Due to the wide range of quest levels in the chain (), getting full XP in one run is extremely difficult.
Accessories are ML5, weapons and armor are ML6; unless otherwise stated.
- Black Wolfskin Belt - Belt: ,
- Black Wolfskin Cloak - Cloak: with , with
- Blademaster Bracers - Bracers: ,
- Blademaster Gauntlets - Gloves: ,
- Crimson Gemstone - Trinket: ,
- Fanged Wraps - +3 Handwraps: , , ,
- Fist of Daarguul - +3 Club 1.50[1d8]: , ,
- Krugg's Spiked Boots - Boots: , with
- Khyber's Fury - Rune Arm: Exploding Fire Shot (Maximum Charge Tier: II), , Rune Arm Imbue: Fire I, Craftable Rune Arm (+3) (ML: 5)
- Lhor-Tragu's Shadowed Armor - +2 Leather Armor: ML6, , ,
- Spider Silk Robe - Robe: , , ,
- Splinterskull Acolyte Ring - Ring: , ,
- Splinterskull Chainmail - +3 Chainmail:
- Splinterskull Docent - +4 Docent:
- Totemic Staff of Splinterskull - +3 Quarterstaff: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), ,
- Visor of the Flesh Render Guards - Goggles: — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1)
- Warmaster Halfplate - +3 Half plate:
- Whisperdoom's Fang - +3 Dagger 1.50[1d6]: Enfeebling,
- Yarkuch's Greatsword - +3 Greatsword 1.50[2d6]: ,
- Yarkuch's Helm - Helm: , ,
- Zulkash's Bone Necklace - Necklace: , with
NOTE: Named items that can appear on this quest arc's end reward list will have a 100% chance of appearing on every third completion of the story arc.
Each Rare Encounter is worth 350 XP; the bonus for finding all of them is 1575 XP. Subsequent encounters will give 116 XP.
- Slay Silkweave, spider queen
- Slay Jarak, bugbear master assassin
- Slay Xassak, troglodyte hero
- Rescue Jana, the lost barmaid
- Slay Kroksh, the wandering giant
- Kill Clamor, the slayer of hunters
- Slay Vilesting, the fiendish scorpion
- Slay Kornak, the tribal mage
- Slay Gharjat, Commander of Splinterskull
- The instance contains about 108 total mobs per reset/run.
- Slay 10 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 205 XP = 20.5 xp/kill
- Slay 25 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 287 XP = 11.48 xp/kill
- Slay 50 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 415 XP = 8.3 xp/kill
- Slay 100 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 682 XP = 6.82 xp/kill
- Slay 200 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 1,210 XP = 6.05 xp/kill
- Slay 400 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 2,290 XP = 5.73 xp/kill
- Slay 750 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 4,019 XP = 5.36 xp/kill
- Slay 1,500 creatures in Tangleroot Gorge: 8,707 XP = 5.8 xp/kill
Each Explorer is worth 175 XP, the bonus for finding all of them is 568 XP.
- Find the far side of the broken bridge - Across the gorge you see the One-Eared Bugbear Inn and the other side of the broken bridge.
- Find the temple ruins - Temple ruins rise out of the riverbed, remnants of some long forgotten civilization.
- Discover the wolf hunter's fate - You see the grim remains of the wolf hunter, whose felled corpse rests trophy-like in the wolf den.
- Find the hobgoblin scout post - This hobgoblin scout post is the first line of defense for keeping intruders out of Tangleroot.
- Find the hobgoblin battle ram - This hobgoblin battle ram blasted open the gateways of many forts and towns, making way for merciless hobgoblin invaders.
- Find Chief Ungurz' camp - The hobgoblins here do not seem hostile. In fact, their chief beckons you closer.
- Find the sacrificial site - From the blood and the bones piled here, this is a sacred place to the troglodytes; a sacrificial site.
- Find the overgrown fortress - An ancient fortress, half-overwhelmed by the jungle. The scratches and stains around it say bugbears dwell here.
- Find the webbed caves - These ruins are overgrown with webs. A fetid stench wafts from within.
- Find the lair of burning skulls - Something more than worgs lives in this cavern. The markings on the stone make that clear.
- Find the bone-strewn lair - The bones and sloughed-off shells around this cave are sure signs of crawling menaces within.
- Find the submerged grotto - The river flows from this grotto, as does a horrid stink, which can have only one source: troglodytes!
- Find the mouth of Splinterskull - You have found the mouth of Splinterskull. The shouts of hobgoblins echo from within.
|Clamor (view)||Magical Beast||Wolf|
|Vilesting (view)||Magical Beast||Scorpion|
|Black Widow (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Brown Spider (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Bugbear Assassin (view)||Goblinoid||Bugbear|
|Bugbear Warrior (view)||Goblinoid||Bugbear|
|Hobgoblin Cleric (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Guard (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Hobgoblin Infiltrator (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Large Monstrous Scorpion (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Medium Monstrous Scorpion (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Rust Monster (view)||Aberration||Rust Monster|
|Small Brown Spider (view)||QL3:; QL?:||Vermin||Spider|
|Troglodyte Shaman (view)||Reptilian||Troglodyte|
|Wolf (view)||QL3:, QL?:||Animal||Wolf|
|Worg (view)||Magical Beast||Wolf|
Flowering Plant x 11
- Before entering the Overgrown Fortress
- NW corner behind hobgoblin outpost (north side of Gorge)
- Behind the Battering Ram outpost, beside stairs to top of wall
- On the path, just after the first Burning Skulls marker
- Behind Chief Ungurz, beside the structure's door
- x2 Inside the Submerged Grotto
- At the northern split in the river
- At the entrance to the Bone Strewn Lair
- At the troglodyte Sacrificial Site
- Alongside the wall of the fortress, across the Gorge from the Ruined Temple