Tangleroot Gorge map *spoilers*
To the southwest of Stormreach lies the untamed Tangleroot Gorge. Home to many fierce hobgoblin and bugbear tribes, Tangleroot Gorge also contains the infamous Hobgoblin fortress of Splinterskull.
Tangleroot Gorge is accessed via a caravan lead by Wransyl of Vedykar located in the northwest of House Phiarlan. This will take you to the The One-Eared Bugbear Inn, which is the entrance to the Wilderness Adventure Area.
Tangleroot Gorge has a level 4 Wilderness Adventure Area, allowing characters from levels 2 through 7 full XP rewards.
 The One-Eared Bugbear Inn
- Moritt Hastigal the Barkeep provides food and refreshments
- Brother de Bucci the Spirit binder
- Wransyl of Vedykar provides transport from Tangleroot Gorge back to House Phiarlan
- Emeric Quall gives the quest Seeking Chief Ungurz, precursor to Assault on Splinterskull
The Assault on Splinterskull story arc of quests all take place in this zone, in addition to the Rare Encounter / Slayer / Explorer quests. This story arc is often just referred to as "Tangleroot" and rewards House Phiarlan favor.
| Quest Name
|| Quest Level
|| Total Favor
|The Hobgoblins' Captives
|The Deadly Package: The Stronghold Key
|The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul
|Doom of the Witch-doctor: The Way to Zulkash
|Doom of the Witch-doctor: Zulkash, Herald of Woe
|The Last Move: The Way to Yarkuch
|The Last Move: Yarkuch's Last Stand
|| 10 Quests
Due to the wide range of quest levels in the chain ( ♦3-7Normal ♥4-8Hard ♠5-9Elite), getting full XP in one run is extremely difficult.
 Reward List
Accessories are ML5, weapons and armor are ML6; Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire unless otherwise stated.
- Black Wolfskin Belt - Belt: Constitution +3Constitution +3: This item gives the wearer improved health, granting a +3 enhancement bonus to Constitution., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Black Wolfskin Cloak - Cloak: Green Augment SlotBlue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Resistance +2Resistance +2: Passive: +2 Resistance bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will Saving Throws., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Cold Resistance +10Cold Resistance +10: Passive: +10 Enhancement bonus to your Cold Resistance.
- Blademaster Bracers - Bracers: Dexterity +3Dexterity +3: This item makes the wearer more nimble and dexterous, granting a +3 enhancement bonus to Dexterity., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Blademaster Gauntlets - Gloves: Strength +3Strength +3: This item gives the wearer the power of Ogre Strength, granting a +3 enhancement bonus to Strength., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Crimson Gemstone - Trinket: Wizardry IIWizardry II: This item grants the wearer +50 maximum spell points. Sorcerers and Favored Souls gain up to double spell points from items., Colorless Augment SlotColorless Augments
- Fanged Wraps - +3 Handwraps: ViciousVicious: On Hit: 2 to 12 Bane Damage to your target and 1 to 3 Bane Damage to yourself. (Bane damage cannot be resisted.), RibcrackerRibcracker: On Critical Hit: 3 to 18 Bludgeoning damage from weapons with a x2 Critical Multiplier, 3 to 24 damage from weapons with a x3 Critical Multiplier, and 3 to 30 damage from weapons with a x4 or Greater Multiplier., Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments, Bound to Character on EquipBound to Character on Equip: This item is Bound to Character on Equip
- Fist of Daarguul - +3 Club 1.50[1d8]: Lesser Goblinoid BaneLesser Goblinoid Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Goblinoids, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +1 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 1 to 6 points of damage against the foe., Intimidate +7Intimidate +7: Passive: +7 Competence bonus to the Intimidate skill., Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments
- Krugg's Spiked Boots - Boots: Striding +10%Striding +10%: Makes the wearer more fleet of foot, giving a 10% bonus to run speed., Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments with Resistance +2Resistance +2: Passive: +2 Resistance bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will Saving Throws.
- Khyber's Fury - Rune Arm: Exploding Fire Shot (Maximum Charge Tier: II), Fortification 75%Fortification 75%: Passive: 75% Enhancement Bonus to Fortification. (Fortification is a chance to negate additional damage incurred from a Critical Hit or Sneak Attack. Some enemies can bypass a portion of your Fortification.), Rune Arm Imbue: Fire I, Craftable Rune Arm (+3) (ML: 5)
- Lhor-Tragu's Shadowed Armor - +2 Leather Armor: ML6, Hide +5Hide +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Hide skill., Move Silently +5Move Silently +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Move Silently skill., Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Spider Silk Robe - Robe: Armor Bonus +5Armor Bonus +5: This item surrounds the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting +5 armor bonus to AC, just as though he were wearing armor., Axeblock IIAxeblock II: Passive: Reduces physical damage taken by 4, except from Bludgeoning or Piercing weapons. (Damage Reduction: 4/Pierce, Bludgeon), Move Silently +5Move Silently +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Move Silently skill., Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Splinterskull Acolyte Ring - Ring: Devotion +42Devotion +42: Provides a +42 Equipment bonus to the wearer's Positive (Healing) Spell Power., Nullification +42Nullification +42: Provides a +42 Equipment bonus to the wearer's Negative (Necrotic) Spell Power., Colorless Augment SlotColorless Augments
- Splinterskull Chainmail - +3 Chainmail: Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Splinterskull Docent - +4 Docent: Green Augment SlotBlue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Totemic Staff of Splinterskull - +3 Quarterstaff: Summon Monster IIISummon Monster III
Caster level: 5
Charges: 3 (3/day), Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments, Purple Augment SlotRed AugmentsBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Visor of the Flesh Render Guards - Goggles: Death WardDeath Ward
Caster level: 7
Charges: 1 (1/day)
- Warmaster Halfplate - +3 Half plate: Blue Augment SlotBlue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Whisperdoom's Fang - +3 Dagger 1.50[1d6]: Enfeebling, Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments
- Yarkuch's Greatsword - +3 Greatsword 1.50[2d6]: Elf BaneElf Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Elves, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2 to 12 points of damage against the foe., Red Augment SlotRed AugmentsColorless Augments
- Yarkuch's Helm - Helm: Charisma +1Charisma +1: This item makes the wearer have more flair, granting a +1 enhancement bonus to Charisma., Intelligence +1Intelligence +1: This item focuses the power of the wearer's mind, granting a +1 enhancement bonus to Intelligence., Will Save +2Will Save +2: This item gives a +2 Resistance bonus to your Will saves.
- Zulkash's Bone Necklace - Necklace: Nullification +42Nullification +42: Provides a +42 Equipment bonus to the wearer's Negative (Necrotic) Spell Power., Yellow Augment SlotYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Intelligence +2Intelligence +2: This item focuses the power of the wearer's mind, granting a +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence.
NOTE: Named items that can appear on this quest arc's end reward list will have a 100% chance of appearing on every third completion of the story arc.
Each Rare Encounter is worth 350 XP; the bonus for finding all of them is 1575 XP. Subsequent encounters will give 116 XP.
- Slay Silkweave, spider queen
- Slay Jarak, bugbear master assassin
- Slay Xassak, troglodyte hero
- Rescue Jana, the lost barmaid
- Slay Kroksh, the wandering giant
- Kill Clamor, the slayer of hunters
- Slay Vilesting, the fiendish scorpion
- Slay Kornak, the tribal mage
- Slay Gharjat, Commander of Splinterskull
- Slay 10 Tangleroot denizens: 205 XP, or 20.5 XP per kill.
- Slay 25 Tangleroot denizens: 287 XP, or 19.1 XP per kill.
- Slay 50 Tangleroot denizens: 415 XP, or 16.6 XP per kill.
- Slay 100 Tangleroot denizens: 682 XP, or 13.6 XP per kill.
- Slay 200 Tangleroot denizens: 1,210 XP, or 12.1 XP per kill.
- Slay 400 Tangleroot denizens: 2,290 XP, or 11.5 XP per kill.
- Slay 750 Tangleroot denizens: 4,019 XP, or 11.5 XP per kill.
- Slay 1500 Tangleroot denizens: 8,707 XP, or 11.6 XP per kill.
Each Explorer is worth 175 XP, the bonus for finding all of them is 568 XP.
- Find the far side of the broken bridge
- Find the temple ruins
- Discover the wolf hunter's fate
- Find the hobgoblin scount post
- Find the hobgoblin battle ram
- Find Chief Ungurz' camp
- Find the sacrificial site
 Dungeon Entrances
- Find the overgrown fortress
- Find the webbed caves
- Find the lair of burning skulls
- Find the bone-strewn lair
- Find the submerged grotto
- Find the mouth of Splinterskull
Monsters in the zone not found on the rare encounters list.