This is an archive of: Talk:Home
Please do not edit this page- add comments or edits to the original page!
/w in the url
Since the last update (if I remember correctly), there is now a /w in all urls (e.g. http://en.ddowiki.ws/w/Home). Until recently, the url without the /w (e.g. ) also worked (by redirecting to the /w address). Now, it does not work anymore. This could be a problem for urls posted previously, as well as for people who bookmarked some specific pages. Any way to fix it? Tihocan 11:12, March 6, 2006 (EST)
- Ah, stupid me. I read it too fast. It will automatically redirect within 5s. So, my question will just be: is this permanent? (just making sure in order to post correct urls on forums for instance). Tihocan 11:14, March 6, 2006 (EST)
- LOL - yah, we don't know what the final scheme will be. Probably two different things for action URLs and page titles, but not sure. For now, use the DEFINATE URL - http://en.ddowiki.ws/index.php?title=Pagename - any old URL will probably figure itself out, anyway. (post by Peerless - see his talk and contribs.)
- Yes please, try to keep backward compatibility, or some users are just going to get lost. And we want old links to work so that people can use the direct links we provide on the ddo forums. Tihocan 17:00, March 6, 2006 (EST)
Just got it set up. Would all you regular users go add the various sections to your watchlist, so we can promptly and succinctly answer any questions? Thanks. Also, go advertise it on the forums - as a source for questions and answers. Thanks! (post by Peerless - see his talk and contribs.)
- I like it. I changed the "Ask a question" link on the home page to point to it. However, what exactly does the Modifications topic cover? I can't quite figure out what kind of game questions would fall under that heading. Is it for modifications to the wiki? Or is this a generic help desk layout that applies to other games that can have user-made mods? It seems a bit ambiguous to me even after reading the description, and will probably get some inappropriate questions placed there as it currently stands. Maybe a slight rewording would be beneficial? Dedridd 09:52, March 7, 2006 (EST)
- You're more than entitled to your opinion, but my point is that it's confusing. Since the design of the game doesn't currently include the ability to do mods, does the link make sense now? Dedridd 12:25, March 7, 2006 (EST)
New thread, same topic. I put a question and answer block in the FAQ page about posting wiki-editing questions to the reference desk. What about adding a section for Wiki questions? As Peerless is aware, when I first started contemplating doing some edits I was full of questions, but wasn't sure where to post. 'Other' might work, but having a separate topic for this might make it a bit more new-contributor friendly. I'll set it up if there's no objections. Dedridd 16:08, March 8, 2006 (EST)
- See the red-outlined section at the bottom here: Reference desk. It is specifically NOT for asking wiki questions - I left 4 other resources for that there. The help desk is exactly what you are talking about. I just haven't had time to give it a fancy front page like I did the reference desk, will do later if you don't. (post by Peerless - see his talk and contribs.)
- I was blind, but now I can see! Duh, that was silly of me... Dedridd 16:34, March 8, 2006 (EST)
Color Scheme of the Wiki
Is there a way I can change the color scheme of the Wiki so it doesn't hurt my eyes? I really need/prefer a black/dark background over lighter text. Infact the previous dark color scheme was easier on my eyes. (But I like this new layout)
- Dark color scheme is out - for now. Due to colorization hardcoding and user differences.
(Hi everyone. Sorry for this newbie question, but I've tried to find info searching and have failed)
- Not a newbie question, the site admin is still asking me this himself - see below.
By the way, just to expand on what I said, I really like the current layout, I find it's very easy to find information and compare it. I'm particularly fond of the Enhancements setup with links to all other enhancements and also links from within the "base" item (ranger enhancements with link to the ranger class in general, for example). Keep up the good work!
- That's all wiki layout, designed by the members. Not up to me - although I would like some more input on the page layout, the part around the content area that doesn't change per page.
PS: I'll be making my first contribution today, I finally found something to add =) (rather change) it's a small error, but hey every little bit helps :)
One last comment: Keep in mind that Opera users often have their "ID" string set to fool pages into thinking they're Internet Explorer. Also Opera in many ways does behave like IE to 'fix' the broken pages. While this IS changeable/overrideable, it's something most people won't do. So for example.. when I edit my profile, it displays things "wrong" just as Internet Explorer does. Heh. (the options are partially overlayed (floated) on top of the text)
- I know, I spoof when necessary through saft. We try to cater to all browsers and platforms as much as possible - the preferences layout is just plain broken in any browser right now. I haven't had time to fix it.
- Eh, I want a dark background too. But I don't know how to do it, lol Tihocan 15:33, March 8, 2006 (EST)
Whatchoo think? That's like 8 hours of work lol - I know neither PHP nor JS, and was trying to combine both AND prototype AND behaviors in one little snippet of code. Next up? Dynamic hiding of the advertisement box (-:< (post by Peerless - see his talk and contribs.)
- Hey, that's nice! Although it wasn't immediately obvious that it would expand with a click. Dunno if a small down arrow'ish icon or a tooltip would help that or not for new site visitors. Also, what are the double search boxes for? Dedridd 14:05, March 14, 2006 (EST)
- Same here, thought I had just lost my sidebars ;) Tihocan 15:47, March 14, 2006 (EST)
- Whatever script code that just got added recently that scrolls my screen down to the top whichever side-bar section I click on has got to go. Dedridd 15:58, March 14, 2006 (EST)
- I could not say it better. Tihocan 16:14, March 14, 2006 (EST)
- Great! And sorry that it was something you were in the middle of. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 'feature' of the new hidden sidebar system. :D Dedridd 20:20, March 14, 2006 (EST)
- Cool :) Tihocan 11:00, March 15, 2006 (EST)
I'm digging the new content mods - including the Readers and Editors section titles! Having the Readers section open by default is also an excellent move, IMO. Dedridd 14:47, March 16, 2006 (EST)
- We all know you dig everything I do. I am sooooo full of my self right now - and deserving it (-: (post by Peerless - see his talk and contribs.)
- *refrains from citing examples of undigginess* :P Dedridd 16:33, March 16, 2006 (EST)
- Yay it's really nice now, great work Peer! :) Tihocan 14:09, March 17, 2006 (EST)