I suppose this should be a category? Dedridd 10:56, February 14, 2006 (PST)
- Yes, it should -- Tihocan 11:49, February 14, 2006 (PST)
- oops my bad I made this page and didnt make it a category. -- koolkat 11:52, February 14, 2006 (PST)
This needs to be divided into more subcategories. Actually, Mithral isn't really an "enhancement", it's a special material type (along with Adamantine, Byeshk, Silver, Cold Iron, and Darkwood). The enhancements would be things like Hammerblock, Magic Resistance, and Lesser Sonic Resistance. An armor can separately have a plus, a material type, and an enhancement, but not two of any of those. Also, armors may have castable spells- I'm not sure spells are exclusive with specific enhancements, but so far it's been that way. 24.62 19:40, February 14, 2006 (PST)
- Had this going, might want to combine the 2 or something Armor Enhancements Big Gino 15:05, February 14, 2006 (PST)
- In response to 24.62, are those special material types used for weapons as well? Just curious if Armor material is a good title for such a page, or if it should just be Material type. I'll create a Magical armor page to detail the combination rules you described and provide links to the different possibilities of magical bonuses. Dedridd 06:17, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Also in response to 24.62 Mithral isnt really an armor enhancement, yet it functions exactly like one in a game setting. Masterwork likewise is essentially half mithral. I think mithral should stay on the page, as wellas ironwood would go on a shield page if it comes along. Maybe a special section on the page would be better? -- koolkat 06:27, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Ok, so I think really we're stumbling over terminology. Let me group the types of things we're talking about on the page, and then we can tweak the 'group names' and split everything out into separate pages (no sense in renaming the pages repeatedly!). Dedridd 06:36, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- First draft done, based on the examples given by 24.62. It's a bit rough, because I did it in a hurry, but hopefully it's enough to get the ball rolling. Dedridd 07:06, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- I'm not sure about it, but does magical armor really reduce the armor check penalty? At least afaik in dnd this isn't true (only masterwork does). Another point: Magical armor gives an (armor) enchantment bonus to armor class. It's important to clarify because it doesn't stack with other (armor) enchantment boni.--Ziu 07:22, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Ziu, can you please edit the page to clarify? I don't know enough of the details to fill it in, as I'm confused on the difference between armor enchantment and armor enhancement. Again, I'm getting lost in the terminology, and don't want to put in incorrect information. Dedridd 07:38, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Pretty sure any plus 1, 2 and so on armor is considered masterwork. They all reduce ACP by one, doesnt scale up with better versions. Big Gino 08:08, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- My fault, I copied over your info incorrectly. Dedridd 08:19, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Also might want to be either less specific with numbers, or include things like lesser. For example I know that lesser axeblock is 2 DR. Can either list this as a seperate enhancement or put all the different veriations under the axeblock link. Big Gino 08:41, February 15, 2006 (PST)
--> (pretend this is indented). Gino, good point. I would rather list it inside of the description of the regular version or on the specific page, so that the list doesn't get out of hand. I'm going to put Bane on the page, although I'm not positive which section it belongs under. Correct it if it's wrong. Dedridd 10:02, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- --> Bane isnt an armor quality it is a weapon quality so I removed it. You cant "hit" with armor and do damage, though I'm sure getting bonked over the head with a suit of plate would hurt, it tends to not be an effective weapon. -- koolkat 11:08, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Haha, you're quite right. What the heck was I thinking? That's what I get for doing multiple things at once. Thanks for cleaning up my mistakes. :) Dedridd 11:30, February 15, 2006 (PST)
 New Question
Is it 'masterwork' or 'master work'? I always thought it was one word, but I don't have any screenshots of it to confirm. Dedridd 07:38, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- masterwork -- Tihocan 09:02, February 15, 2006 (PST)
 Article on magic items
Note sure where to write this, so... If anyone is interesting in it, there's an article about magic items here: http://www.gamergod.com/article.php?article_id=3640&fansite_id=160 -- Tihocan 12:39, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Very nice find tihocan, I never knew about those pawn shops. Good stuff to know, will probable make it easier for cataloging items as well. Big Gino 16:57, February 15, 2006 (PST)
- Good article. I added Fortification to this page. Dedridd 09:17, February 16, 2006 (PST)
 Effective bonus?
"A suit of armor cannot have an effective bonus (enhancement plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10." Is this a DDO thing, or a detail taken from creating magic items in PnP? If DDO, then what are the effective bonuses from the special abilities? The statement seems out of place without providing more details. Dedridd 09:17, February 16, 2006 (PST)
- Depends. The effective bonus is used to measure the value and the level requirements of an armor/weapon. A list of of abilites and their effective bonus would be good. --Ziu 09:36, February 16, 2006 (PST)
- Looks like what I'm about to do was requested in february =) I'm making the enhancements into a table like the weapon enhancement page. Also, the effective bonus cap in DDO is currently +6 (higher wouldn't be equippable by level 10 characters).
- Hehe yes, so much to do... ;) Tihocan 11:20, May 8, 2006 (EDT)
Can we have a concensus on that? damage reduction 5/magic should mean only magic can bypass it, no? Tihocan 11:47, May 8, 2006 (EDT)
- Yes, only magic will bypass the DR. Sonil 12:02, May 8, 2006 (EDT)
 Various Page Suggestions
Originally I posted this on the DDO boards, I copy it here by request.
I use the Wiki quite a bit for research on the planner, and I have to say it's been one of my best and most accurate resources! One thing I might suggest is a bit of an overhaul of the armor enhancement page. That's the one I've been referencing lately in the last couple of weeks, so it's fresh in my mind
- I'd remove the "Shield" enhancements to a different page entirely (e.g Ghost Touch is a shield enhancement, it doesn't belong on the armor page). Because you've mixed armor and shield enhancements, it makes it a bit confusing sometimes (plus, I think you are missing a lot of the shield enhancements anyway, it'd make it easier to have them all accurately if they were moved to a seperate page). Bashing is another one that's a shield enhancement and shouldn't be found on the armor page.
- You have a paragraph at the top which says "There are many different enhancements that any base armor type (see light armor, medium armor, or heavy armor) can be found with. The properties can be categorized into several groups. While a piece of magical armor can have properties from one or more of these groups, it will never have more than one property from the same group."
This is fine, except you have "Magic Armor Special Abilities" as a catagory, which includes both prefixes and suffixes. It makes it seem like a suit of armor can only have one prefix/suffix. In actual fact, armor can have BOTH a prefix and a suffix. Make it obvious those are two separate catagories, and armor can have one of each rather than just one in total.
- Similarly, you have a catagory for "Masterwork" and a catagory for "Magic Armor Enhancement bonuses" (i.e. +1 to +5). According to your top paragraph, it makes it sound like you could possibly have +1 Masterwork Leather armor, which of course, you cannot. I'd combine those two catagories so it's more clear those six options are mutually exclusive.
- You are missing a fair number of armor Prefixes (e.g. Acid Guard, Fearsome, etc.) and at least one material (Elven).
- I don't think Potency belongs in the armor (or even Shield) catagory. As far as I'm aware, Potency can only be found on weapons (and perhaps other slots, but I've never yet seen it on anything that goes in the Armor or Shield slots). Also, you have it listed as a suffix. The only time I've ever seen it (on weapons) is as a prefix (e.g. Potency II Magestaff).
- Finally, why in the Description field, do you not use the in-game text? I think those would be much more appropriate than the abreviated bits you've got in there now. Just my own opinioin, YMMV.
Otherwise it's a great site! Very nice work. I thought about making some of those changes myself, but A) I have too many projects going already and B) I figured that much significant change ought to be left to the site admins.
06:08, January 16, 2007 (PST)
Hmm ok sounds good to me. I hope I can convince tihocan or hiwae to take care of some of that - I don't know much about the game itself, I'm more of a wiki person (-;
I am convinced, I just need to catch up on some other stuff first, which is probably to take about a month
09:31, January 17, 2007 (EST) (Tihocan unlogged)
Just as an addendum, the format for armor (or any equipment in DDO for that matter) looks like this:
- <bonus><prefix [optional prefix modifier]><material><base type><"of" suffix [optional suffix modifier]>
So, for example, a "+2 Deathblock Darkleaf Chain Shirt of Spell Resistance (17)" actually breaks down into this format: <+2><Deathblock><Darkleaf><Chain Shirt><"of" Spell Resistance [(17)]>. My thought would be to take each one of those items in <> and make that a seperate catagory (replacing the catagories you have now). Basically, just a reorganization of what you already have there. If y'all like, I can make some time to put it together, and if you don't like it, you can always revert it :) Probably have to wait a couple of weeks for the next planner
release, but I should have some time after that.
19:33, January 18, 2007 (EST)
I see whatcha mean - we're probably gonna templatize everything anyway. So yeah, if you wanna help with that, it'd be much appreciated.
Alright, because I had no energy left for coding tonight, I went ahead and made most of the changes. See what you think. Feel free to revert it back if you don't like it, you won't hurt my feelings any :) Or edit what's there to make it better, I tend to be overly verbose. I haven't yet filled in the table of Named Armors, I'm pretty much out of time tonight.
+3,617... that's a lot of change. Anyway, I didn't realize it was all on this page - but yeah, that's good for now. I need to fsckin fix the tables around this site someday! I hang around talk pages and templates too much, never noticed how incongruous tables are currently lookin. Where incongruous ≠ good.
 Clean up?
Ok, this page needs a lot of cleaning!
Say we keep the page, but break in in different Sub-Categories:
-Bonus enhancement or whatever the right name is
We could move the Base Armor type to the Armor and put a link to it, as it isn't an enhancement.
We should also create a page for each of the enhancement. To leads to a question, Peerless can you help with categories? :) I've got a few questions for you about the best way(s) to proceed.
think this is newly added one with mod6.