Active shield bashing
Shield bashing is the act of attacking with a shield. It is performed by making a standard attack while actively blocking and wearing a shield.
- The applied attack, damage and critical values and on-hit effects of a shield bash depend only on the stats, effects and bonuses of the user's shield.
- Note: You will be unable to shield-bash if auto-attack is enabled, unless you have the Improved Shield Bash feat, in which case your character will automatically bash while blocking, if your target is close enough.
- Note: Doublestrike does not affect shield bashing. While guarding and bashing, the shield will never strike more than once on a single attack.
Secondary (passive) shield bashing
A Secondary shield bash is a chance of striking your foe with your shield whenever you attack with your main-hand weapon.
- The player must not be blocking while attacking in order to make a secondary shield bash. A shield bash and a secondary (passive) shield bash are two separate attacks and should not be related as the same thing.
- In order to be able to make a secondary shield bash, the character must first increase his chance of making a secondary shield bash through various feats, enchantments and item bonuses.
- You'll actually see your character performing the bash when it happens. It is a quick combination-animation that does not slow down your normal attack rate.
- A secondary (passive) shield bash rolls a separate dice from your main-hand weapon when attacking, for damage, critical and to-hit values.
- The applied attack, damage and critical values and on-hit effects of a secondary shield bash depend only on the stats, effects and bonuses of the user's shield.
- Since update 23, secondary shield bashes can proc while moving and have a 1 second cooldown.
- Note: Doublestrike does not affect Secondary (passive) shield bashing. On a single attack, if you proc a doublestrike your main-hand weapon will strike twice, but your shield will always strike once.
- Note: When executing an attack, your shield will always strike after your main-hand weapon. Therefore it is possible that your weapon will touch (hit and damage) the target, but your shield will not.
- This can happen if: (a) you move your character after your main-hand weapon has touched the enemy. (b) the enemy moves after your character has touched him with his main-hand weapon. (c) the enemy is out of your shield's reach, but close enough for your main-hand weapon to touch him.
Effects that affect shield bash and secondary shield bash attacks
- Overbalance - knock your opponent to the ground on a vorpal hit.
- Shield Champion - shield bash stuns enemies 5% of the time.
- Unbalancing Shove - damaged enemies get -1 to saving throws.
- Disorienting Smash - damaged enemies gain a stack of Vulnerability.
Sources of increased secondary shield bash chance
- Improved Shield Bash for +20%
- Fighter/Paladin Vanguard enhancements for a total of +40%
- Sorcerer/Wizard Eldritch Knight enhancements for +15%
- Shields in general have a smaller range in which they can reach enemies in comparison to other weapons. Although both weapons are considered melee, a longsword for example, has a long blade on its end and a character wielding it can reach his foes even while standing a few steps away from them, something which he can't do if he uses a shield.
- Therefore it is recommended to stick as close as possible to your enemies, when fighting with a shield, otherwise many Shield-related skills and attacks will very often miss your target.
- Some shields may have a higher or smaller range in which they can reach enemies, depending on their size.[ ]