|Items | Crafting | Collectables | Quests | Challenges | Maps | Monsters | Places | Favor |
Races | Classes | Enhancements | Epic Destinies | Feats | Skills | Spells | Glossary
We are testing a new skin! Let us know what you think.
|Please log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!or|
Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt
|Requires access to adventure pack: The Catacombs|
Ward the unbroken sarcophagi of the Patriarch's Crypt against Marguerite to limit her unholy power.
|Setting the Wards: The Patriarch's Crypt|
|Heroic XP:||♣508 ♦916 ♥984 ♠1,052|
|Takes place in:||The Patriarch's Crypt, Catacombs|
|Quest acquired in:||Catacombs|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
In the Patriarch's Crypt, accessible through the Lower Cathedral, ward the sarcophagi against Marguerite, and escape alive!
- This is Chapter 2 of Part 4 of the Catacombs story arc.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Use the cursed sarcophagi to ward them against Marguerite
- Find Cardinal Brevonis's sarcophagus
- Defeat the wight guarding Brevonis's sarcophagus
- Use Brevonis Dryden's Sarcophagus to ward it
- Find an escape route while evading Marguerite's wrath
- Retreat to the central altar to escape Marguerite's wrath
- (Optional) Defeat hell hound ambush (15% of base XP)
- (Optional) Defeat the ghoul and ghast ambush (15% of base XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Collapsible floors
- Points of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Blade trap on the lower level when going from the western sarcophagus to the shrine on the bottom floor; box is on the center pillar before the intersection.
- Fire traps guarding the levers for the gate around the corner from Brevonis's sarcophagus; boxes are in each alcove (one panel for each trap). The fire can be avoided by standing to one side as the lever is activated.
Tips and Misc
- Once you cleanse the 3rd sarcophagi, the floors collapse. If your party doesn't have feather fall, have them gather around the sarcophagi until the floors are done.
- You can navigate out of a sarcophagus room by using the ledges left after the floor collapses, in case the chest isn't beneath the third room.
- You can avoid the blade trap from the western shrine to the altar by jumping up and walking on top of the wall.
- Brevonis's sarcophagus (the fourth and final one) is guarded by an armored wight and three hellhounds; once you kill the wight, the barrier drops.
- Once you use Brevonis's sarcophagus, the race is on! You have a few seconds before the gate in the room goes up. As soon as it does, start running. Marguerite Dryden is very deadly for low level characters, and doesn't need to be killed (in fact, it's extremely difficult to hit her, especially at level and even on normal she has several thousand hit points). Make sure everyone is ready before using that sarcophagus. Haste if you can. Fire resistance for the lever traps. At least one party member has to live to make it back to the central shrine on the upper floor.
- If you do this solo or you can get the party to work together it is possible to move around the altar when the wraith is chasing you. She will stop in the altar room and then it is possible to complete the optionals. (NOTE: This may have been changed)
- It's possible to purify the sarcophagus and then go into stealth, if your skills are high enough; Marguerite will go swooping up the hallway and then stop past the lever-locked gate, giving you a chance to disable the fire traps. Note that only one person has to purify the altar, while the rest retreat back up the passage.
- Another alternative is to use a hire if you already have one out. Set the hire to stay next to Brevonis' sarcophagus while you make a run for it. Marguerite will usually attack the hire before coming after you. (No-one said you have to be nice to your employees)
- The ghoul and ghast ambush is under the southern wing.
- The hellhound ambush is under the eastern wing.
- Both optionals are attainable while soloing if your hireling is ordered to attack while you remain on the top level. You won't get the chest loot from both however.
- Bonus XP
- Aggression bonus: 20 monsters killed
- Onslaught bonus: 26 monsters killed
- Conquest bonus: 32 Monsters killed
- Mischief bonus: 40 breakables smashed
- Vandal bonus: 52 breakables smashed
- Ransack bonus: 64 breakables smashed
- Neutralization bonus: 2 traps disabled
- Chests: 1
- 1 under a collapsible floor in one of the wings (can spawn in multiple locations)
- Collectables: Three
- Moss by the eastern sarcophagus (Cardinal Yenaz)
- Adventurer's Pack by the southern sarcophagus (Cardinal Hengrith)
- Rubble beneath the eastern sarcophagus
- NPC rewards: Random items