|Items | Crafting | Collectables | Quests | Challenges | Maps | Monsters | Places | Favor |
Races | Classes | Enhancements | Epic Destinies | Feats | Skills | Spells | Glossary
We are testing a new skin! Let us know what you think.
|Please log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!or|
Category:Pit Fiend sub-race monsters
Monster Manual classification: Unknown
Alignment: Lawful Evil
CR: Varies, CR24 and up
Description: A pit fiend often wraps its wings around itself like a grotesque cloak, and appears wreathed in flames. A pit fiend is 12 feet tall and weighs 800 pounds.
Pit Fiends are usually ranked as General in Shavaraths devil army.
Pit fiends are wily and resourceful fighters, using invisibility to gain the upper hand and biting at foes seemingly able to see them. They don’t hesitate to blanket an area with delayed blast fireballs, and can call down the wrath of an inferno with meteor swarm.
A pit fiend’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
A creature struck by a pit fiend’s bite attack must succeed on a DC 27+ Fortitude save or be infected with a vile disease known as Devil Chills (incubation period: 60 seconds, damage 1d4 Str). The save DC is Constitution-based.
Injury, Fortitude DC 27,+ initial damage 1d6 Con, secondary damage 1000 con damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Possible Spell-Like Abilities (not all pit fiends have all of these)
At will — Blasphemy (DC 25), Create Undead, Fireball (DC 21), Delayed Blast Fireball (DC 27), Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Teleport (self and other), Invisibility, Magic Circle Against Good, Mass Hold Monster (DC 27), Persistent Image (DC 23), Power Word Stun, Unholy Aura (DC 26), Meteor Swarm (DC 27). Caster level 18th. The save DCs are Charisma-based (Like Sorcerers).
PnP Only: Once per year a pit fiend can use wish as the spell (Caster Level 20th).
Summon Devil (Sp)
Twice per day a pit fiend can automatically summon 2 lemures, bone devils, or bearded devils, or 1 erinyes, horned devil, or ice devil. This ability is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell.
- DDO: No Pit Fiends directly summon other devils, however most boss fights featuring Pit Fiends do feature these types of devils as reinforcements, which mimics this ability.
A pit fiend takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.
A pit fiend typically opens combat by using its spell-like abilities, attempting to neutralize dangerous opponents before entering melee.
Round by round standard tactics
- Round 1: Quickened delayed blst fireball and mass hold monster if facing three or more visible, active opponents; otherwise teleport towards unarmored opponent (preferably a spellcaster).
- Round 2: Meteor swarm against as many foes as possible, approach worst-injured enemy.
- Round 3: Full attack against injured enemy.
- Round 4: Continue melee against injured enemy, or target annoying spellcaster.
- Round 5: Repeat from round 1, or greater teleport to safety if endangered.