|Items | Crafting | Collectables | Quests | Challenges | Maps | Monsters | Places | Favor |
Races | Classes | Enhancements | Epic Destinies | Feats | Skills | Spells | Glossary
We are testing a new skin! Let us know what you think.
|Please log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat if you need any help!or|
A Cabal for One
|Requires access to adventure pack: Ruins of Gianthold|
|A Cabal for One|
|Heroic XP:||♣1,773 ♦3,228 ♥3,364 ♠3,500|
|Takes place in:||Hobgoblin Lair|
|NPC contact:||Jorgundal ar'Grund|
|Quest acquired in:||Ruins of Gianthold|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Free to Play:||No|
While exploring Gianthold, you encountered a group of hobgoblins that were guarding the entrance to this underground lair. Explore the lair and find out what exactly they were protecting.
- Speaking with Jorgundal ar'Grund grants this quest.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Explore the Hobgoblin encampment
- Speak to Gardak Bruntsmash
- Slay the Arzag-Khor conspirators (4 total)
- (Optional) Slay Olos Nobrac: (15% of base XP)
- Reach the throne room
- Slay King Bendix
What to Expect
- Traps (random)
One of the chests has a super trapsmith's challenge and is the toughest non-epic trap in DDO. It's behind a secret door. On elite, the secret door has an unconfirmed 61 search DC. This infamous "trap of doom" has 51-52 search DC to find the trap box and an unconfirmed 73 disable DC (rolling 70 or below causes critical failure).
Tips and Misc
Walkthrough (thanks in large part to )
Good buffs to have:
- Normal: resist cold and fire, True Seeing, and, of course, Greater Heroism. There is also a caster who may cast Flesh to Stone on you, so carrying a couple of Stone to Flesh scrolls is good insurance.
- Hard: resist cold, fire, sonic.
- Elite: resist acid, cold, fire, sonic. Loremasters dispell, so don't bother extending.
Clear out around the corner and speak to the traitor hobgoblin. He will give you two options. One, assist him in taking the place of leader amongst the tribe. Doing so, he will go through and clear out almost all of the traps in the compound, though he will double-cross you in the end. As of update 17, this route will no longer give you his extra chest at the end of the quest. Two, call him out and kick his butt right then and there. If you do this you will have to disable the traps along the way (bonus XP if you have a rogue) and (as of update 17) you will get the extra chest at the end.
Make a choice and head further in. You will reach a low wall with a gate, with a passage that goes around. You can jump over the wall to open the gate, but either way you will need to go through the side passage to defeat a required enemy. In this side room is the ultimate trapsmith's challenge. There is a chest behind a secret door that is trapped with the super exploding spike trap of doom. There is nothing special about the loot inside, no matter all the work it takes to get it, so bypass it if you don’t have an awesome rogue or a super evasion save.
Clear out the hall and take the right side at the fork to clear out the shrine. (If you skip the shrine because you don't need it yet, the end door won't open and you'll have to go back to the shrine and kill the things inside. This isn't a bad idea as it allows you to shrine, then head in to the final fight.) Then head back to the left. There is a small room to the left you will need to deal with. Then head further in. The gates ahead are blocked, so you will need to go to the northern doors, climb the ladders and clear out both top rooms. That will open the gates, allowing you access to the final hall and throne room.
Defeat the king (he can be tough due to being able to heal very quickly, especially on elite. Burst DPS is important here), and Gardak the Traitor (if you chose that option) and get your chest(s). The king's chest will have 1 Ancient Elven Relic.
Don't forget to click on "headstone" at end of quest to get completion.
End Reward: Speak to Jorgundal ar'Grund in the Gianthold for standard reward choice
- Bonus XP:
- Aggression bonus: 76 monsters killed
- Onslaught bonus: 106-112 monsters killed
- Observance bonus: 1 secret door discovered
- Mischief bonus: 34 breakables smashed
- Vandal bonus: 44 breakables smashed
- Ransack bonus: 54 breakables smashed
- Chests: 3
- 1 trapped and locked almost halfway through the quest (DC on norm is more than 47)
- 1 at the end for killing Gardak Bruntsmash (Hobgoblin, found close to the entrance, the chest appear only if you provoke Gardak into fighting you)
- when you cooperate with Gardak his chest has a low chance of dropping 1 Ancient Elven Relic. Tentative 10-15% chance.
- 1 at the end for killing King Bendix (Hobgoblin)
- it has 1 Ancient Elven Relic.
- NPC rewards: Speak to Jorgundal ar'Grund in the Gianthold for standard reward choice
- Arzag-Khor Loremasters
- Arzag-Khor Shamans
- Cloven-Jaw Scouts
- Cloven-Jaw Veterans
- Cloven-Jaw Warlords
- Glacier Wolves
- Gardak Bruntsmash - Red-named hobgoblin; always spawns at end fight if you choose the option to cooperate with him
- King Bendix - Red-named hobgoblin slayer; end boss
- Kivol - Orange named hobgoblin; required kill
- Olos Nobrac - Optional orange named hobgoblin
- Maksim - Orange named hobgoblin; required kill
- Mikahi - Orange named hobgoblin; required kill
- Vokur - Orange named hobgoblin; required kill